Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Slackware Can't play sound files with aplay or cat to /dev/dsp Post 302479354 by Corona688 on Friday 10th of December 2010 11:25:39 AM
Old 12-10-2010
Code:
snd_pcm_oss
snd_mixer_oss

Using the kernel's built-in OSS emulation for ALSA will let anything that uses OSS devices hog the raw sound device in the old-fashioned OSS way. You might want to disable that in the kernel and use ALSA's alsa-oss compatibility library instead.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is there kind of good utility that convert make files to dsp?

Hello all im looking for some kind of utility that convert make files to dsp files is there any kind of tool/script that does this job? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

2. Linux

fedora: problem to play mp3 files.

hi friends. i have tried all above option to play mp3 files but i am not able to listen mp3 files. i have tried above option using yum like $ su - # yum install gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-ugly gstreamer-ffmpeg i got a error like Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit Could... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: praneshmishra08
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cat /dev/null

Hi, Excuse my ignorance here - I'm a networks man and my knowledge of all things unix is somewhat limited. We have a very large file (/var/tmp/mond.log) that we need to zero - does the "cat /dev/null > /var/tmp/mond.log" command achieve this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: freakydancer
4 Replies

4. Linux

Can not play sound in Linux RHEL5.

Hi All, Recently I installed Linux RHEL5 on my machine. It seems that I can not play sound on RHEL5. I have real player installed along with RHEL5 but, when I try to play any song, the error message comes up saying "Can not open the audio device.Another application may be using it." Does any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gydave
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error output of cat to /dev/null

Hello, I'm trying to send the error output of a 'cat' operation to /dev/null like this: cat /dirA/dirB/temp*.log > /dirA/dirB/final.log 2>/dev/null This works perfectly in a terminal, but not when placed in a script. If there are no files matching temp*.log the script outputs an error... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nils88
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Play sound

hi i want to produce digit sounds.for ex: if my input text is four five six then code should able to produce sounds corresponding to digits which are stored in some directory as four.wav,five.wav etc.Please help me (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreejithalokkan
8 Replies

7. Debian

How to play avi files Raspberry Pi?

Raspberry Pi B 2014-01-07 Raspbian fully up to date. Installed and configured motion for surveillance. It works just fine and creates .avi files and .jpeg. Installed Mplayer trying to run it from desktop was not successful. I did try to do a command line by executing sudo mplayer... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: oldcity
6 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

How to play video files one after the other continously?

Hi, There are many MP4 files in a folder say 50 files . All these files are video clipping files.Instead of playing the video one by one , is it possible to play all video clipping files into single shot ? Say for example when i play one video file it gets over after sometime and to view... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cmd 'cat /dev/urandom' not closing cleanly

Hi I'm running the following command to generate a random password in a KSH script on a RHEL Linux VM but for some reason the cmd is not being closed and it's causing problems on the host. PASSWORD="$(cat /dev/urandom | tr -dc "a-zA-Z0-9" | fold -w 16 | head -1)Aa0!" The code worked as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
2 Replies
ESD(1)                                                       Enlightened Sound Daemon                                                       ESD(1)

NAME
esd - The Enlightened Sound Daemon DESCRIPTION
Starts up EsounD, which provides a sound mixing server. USAGE
esd [options] -d DEVICE force esd to use sound device DEVICE -b run server in 8 bit sound mode -r RATE run server at sample rate of RATE -as SECS free audio device after SECS of inactivity (-1 to disable) -unix use unix domain sockets instead of tcp/ip -tcp use tcp/ip sockets instead of unix domain -public make tcp/ip access public (other than localhost) -promiscuous start unlocked and owned (disable authenticaton) NOT RECOMMENDED -terminate terminate esd daemon after last client exits -noterminate do not terminate esd daemon after last client exits -nobeeps disable startup beeps -beeps enable startup beeps -trust start esd even if use of /tmp/.esd can be insecure -port PORT listen for connections at PORT (only for tcp/ip) -bind ADDRESS binds to ADDRESS (only for tcp/ip) -v --version print version information Possible devices are: /dev/dsp, /dev/dsp2, etc. FILES
/etc/esd.conf daemon configuration file SEE ALSO
esdcat(1), esddsp(1), esdloop(1), esdplay(1), esdsample(1), esd-config(1), esdctl(1), esdfilt(1), esdmon(1), esdrec(1) 3rd Berkeley Distribution EsounD 0.2.41 ESD(1)