Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: printf Hexadecimal output
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting printf Hexadecimal output Post 302479244 by methyl on Friday 10th of December 2010 06:32:46 AM
Old 12-10-2010
printf Hexadecimal output

Code:
printf "%X\n" "A"

printf "%X\n" "2"
Expected 32 (not 2).

Is there a "printf" which will output the hexadecimal value of a numeric character?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help please...output problems with printf.

#include <stdio.h> #include <math.h> // this function calculates the volume of a Cylinder int main(void) { int r; // radius int h; // height double M_PI; // pi int pOne = pow (r, 2); // get user input of radius and height printf ("Enter your... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pwanda
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to format the output using float in awk{printf}

Hi I'm using awk to manipulate the data in the 6th field of the file xxx_yyy.hrv. The sample data that is available in this field is given below 220731.7100000000000000 When i tried using this command cat xxx_yyy.hrv | awk '{printf("%23.16f\n",$6*-1)}' I get the output as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: angelarosh
4 Replies

3. Programming

capture the output of printf into another variable

Hi , I wonder if in java I can pipe the below output of the printf into a variable: System.out.printf(" This is a test %s\n", myVariable); I want to keep the output of the printf command to create my history array. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arizah
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

NAWK conversion of hexadecimal input to decimal output via printf, I am close I can feel it

I have searched and the answers I have found thus far have led me to this point, so I feel I am just about there. I am trying to convert a column of hexadecimal to decimal values so that I can filter out via grep just the data I want. I was able to pull my original 3 character hex value and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: PCGameGuy
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with awk printf, formatted output

Hi, i have a script, which is incomplete, am on my way developing it. Input 1,12,2012,IF_TB001 2,12,2012,3K3 3,Z56,00000,25,229,K900,00, ,3G3, ,USD, ,0000000000,000, , , , 550000000 3,Z56,00000,53,411,W225,00,000, , ,USD,OM170,0000000000,000, , , , -550000000 4,Z56,COUNT, 4,SUM LOC,... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvankj
19 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Excel table like output with printf

Hi All; I try to create a excel like table with headers and some fields containing values, other long and complex mathematic formulas. I have some header like : Name Formula Value True/False Under name column, they are some formula names, formula column some long mathematic formulas... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: reseki
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Managing output... echo or printf?

Hello script guru's as i write more and more code i always block at managing output... either writing to standard out, writing to files via std out (log, temp file, etc). Don't get me wrong 99% of the time it DOES the job but maybe there is more efficient. I'm writing a small script to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick72
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use printf to output a shell variable path?

So I created two shell variables: COLUMN1_HEADING, COLUMN2_HEADING. They have values: COLUMN1_HEADING="John" COLUMN2_HEADING="123456789" How would I use printf to get it to print an output like this: $COLUMN1_HEADING\t$COLUMN2_HEADING\nJohn\t123456789\n Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: steezuschrist96
3 Replies
PRINTF(1)							   User Commands							 PRINTF(1)

NAME
printf - format and print data SYNOPSIS
printf FORMAT [ARGUMENT]... printf OPTION DESCRIPTION
Print ARGUMENT(s) according to FORMAT, or execute according to OPTION: --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit FORMAT controls the output as in C printf. Interpreted sequences are: " double quote NNN character with octal value NNN (1 to 3 digits) \ backslash a alert (BEL)  backspace c produce no further output f form feed new line carriage return horizontal tab v vertical tab xHH byte with hexadecimal value HH (1 to 2 digits) uHHHH Unicode (ISO/IEC 10646) character with hex value HHHH (4 digits) UHHHHHHHH Unicode character with hex value HHHHHHHH (8 digits) %% a single % %b ARGUMENT as a string with `' escapes interpreted, except that octal escapes are of the form or NNN and all C format specifications ending with one of diouxXfeEgGcs, with ARGUMENTs converted to proper type first. Variable widths are han- dled. NOTE: your shell may have its own version of printf, which usually supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's documentation for details about the options it supports. AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report printf bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
printf(3) The full documentation for printf is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and printf programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'printf invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 7.1 July 2010 PRINTF(1)