Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Slackware Can't play sound files with aplay or cat to /dev/dsp Post 302478999 by Corona688 on Thursday 9th of December 2010 10:56:53 AM
Old 12-09-2010
What is your hardware? Be specific, including soundcard or motherboard model, etc. What is your kernel? What is you ALSA version? What does lsmod show? What does ls /sys/module show? Is there anything relevant looking in dmesg ?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is there kind of good utility that convert make files to dsp?

Hello all im looking for some kind of utility that convert make files to dsp files is there any kind of tool/script that does this job? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

2. Linux

fedora: problem to play mp3 files.

hi friends. i have tried all above option to play mp3 files but i am not able to listen mp3 files. i have tried above option using yum like $ su - # yum install gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-ugly gstreamer-ffmpeg i got a error like Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit Could... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: praneshmishra08
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cat /dev/null

Hi, Excuse my ignorance here - I'm a networks man and my knowledge of all things unix is somewhat limited. We have a very large file (/var/tmp/mond.log) that we need to zero - does the "cat /dev/null > /var/tmp/mond.log" command achieve this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: freakydancer
4 Replies

4. Linux

Can not play sound in Linux RHEL5.

Hi All, Recently I installed Linux RHEL5 on my machine. It seems that I can not play sound on RHEL5. I have real player installed along with RHEL5 but, when I try to play any song, the error message comes up saying "Can not open the audio device.Another application may be using it." Does any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gydave
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error output of cat to /dev/null

Hello, I'm trying to send the error output of a 'cat' operation to /dev/null like this: cat /dirA/dirB/temp*.log > /dirA/dirB/final.log 2>/dev/null This works perfectly in a terminal, but not when placed in a script. If there are no files matching temp*.log the script outputs an error... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nils88
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Play sound

hi i want to produce digit sounds.for ex: if my input text is four five six then code should able to produce sounds corresponding to digits which are stored in some directory as four.wav,five.wav etc.Please help me (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreejithalokkan
8 Replies

7. Debian

How to play avi files Raspberry Pi?

Raspberry Pi B 2014-01-07 Raspbian fully up to date. Installed and configured motion for surveillance. It works just fine and creates .avi files and .jpeg. Installed Mplayer trying to run it from desktop was not successful. I did try to do a command line by executing sudo mplayer... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: oldcity
6 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

How to play video files one after the other continously?

Hi, There are many MP4 files in a folder say 50 files . All these files are video clipping files.Instead of playing the video one by one , is it possible to play all video clipping files into single shot ? Say for example when i play one video file it gets over after sometime and to view... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cmd 'cat /dev/urandom' not closing cleanly

Hi I'm running the following command to generate a random password in a KSH script on a RHEL Linux VM but for some reason the cmd is not being closed and it's causing problems on the host. PASSWORD="$(cat /dev/urandom | tr -dc "a-zA-Z0-9" | fold -w 16 | head -1)Aa0!" The code worked as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
2 Replies
SPLAY(1)							Applications/Sound							  SPLAY(1)

NAME
splay - MPEG-1,2 Audio layer 1,2,3 file player SYNOPSIS
splay [-2VMfmrsv] [-k num] [-d dev] [-l list] [-t num] filenames... DESCRIPTION
Splay is the sound file player such as MPEG-1,2 Audio files. And you can play these files using list file. With pthread, it can play sound files smoother. OPTIONS
Splay has several options. -2 play MPEG-Audio files with half-frequency. If you use this option, you may play MPEG audio files with job which exhausts CPU very much. -f display info on played and remaining frames and time. -m force to mono. Play with mono even if file is in stereo. -r Repeat forever. If you -r with -s, list files are shuffled every time. -s Shuffle play. If you give list file or a number of files, Splay will rearrange them randomly. And with -r every time the order of files is changed. -v[v[v]] Verbose, Very verbose, Very very verbose. -M Play MPEG file from standard input. -V Show version number. -t num num of frames were saved during playing. When CPU is so busy and prevents splay from decoding, splay will play back using saved frames. This feature lets you do other job freely while listening to MPEG music. -k num num of frames are skipped at the start of playing. -d dev Change device file. Default device file is /dev/dsp. If you can't use this device file or you can output raw type data to file, you can use this option. If the first character of dev is / , dev would be considered as device file, If the first character of dev is - , dev would be considered as standard output, otherwise dev would be considered as normal file. -l list Select list file. http:// can be used. (e.g. http://localhost/abc.m3u) filenames You can put several files, and use http:// If you use -l option, these will be ignored. by Woo-jae Jung Aug 3 1997 SPLAY(1)