Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How can I get only FileName associated with a INODE on Unix much faster? Post 302478404 by kchinnam on Tuesday 7th of December 2010 10:58:58 PM
Old 12-07-2010
How can I get only FileName associated with a INODE on Unix much faster?

How can I get only FileName associated with a INODE on Unix[solaris8] in seconds instead of minutes, as it is the case for me as shown below.

Code:

# Say I have FileDescriptor: 43, INODE: 2590784, File: abc.rdb. I want to get only filename associated with inode:2590784 and FD:43.
$> time find / -inum 2590784 -print 2>/dev/null 
/export/<full_path>/abc.rdb      # This is what I want in seconds or milliseconds.
/proc/4012/fd/43                 # Where 4012 is PID
/proc/4012/object/ufs.85.3.2590784

real    2m26.91s
user    0m2.23s
sys     0m30.29s

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Filename length restrictions?

Can anyone help me out with information on the filename length restrictions in UNIX? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xmeh
2 Replies

2. Solaris

How to map a disk block to filename/ Inode

Hi, I want to find out a particular disk block belong to which file. in solaris 2.8 Can anyone help. Thanks and Regards Bala (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Balamurugan
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SCO Unix inode structure.

I have read quite a few threads here about the unix file creation date. I was interested in finding how to display it using a unix command. find did not help me so i looked at man inode. I found direction to htino.h which is described as the structure of the inode for S51K (UNIX), HTFS, EAFS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbn
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix file system V filename limit

Why unix system V has a filename size limit of 14 characters.How other versions of Unix got around this problem.Can anybody help? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: admirer
7 Replies

5. AIX

How to get the filename of which has been deleted if I know the inode number?

How to get the filename of which has been deleted if I know the inode number. i can use the command "istat" to get the inode number of the file. # istat /proc//fd/x If this file has been deleted,but the process of this file has not been closed and handle has not been released ,so this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoyOnLine
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

inode filename

can someone please tell me why is the filename not inlcuded in the inode of the file? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wowman
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX command to get inode's tid and pid

Hi everyone, I am new here in www.unix.com, i found this site because I am looking for an answer to this problem of mine. I need to know a UNIX command to display an inode's thread id and process id. Hope someone can help me on this. Thanks :D (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rodkun
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get redirected filename inside unix script

Hi All, I am having a script which calculate checks the input feed and perform some function. When i am executing this script i am redirecting this to a output file. I want to know the redirected output file name inside my scripts. Is there is any way to get that . like the same way we... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filename check in UNIX

Hello , I have to search for the file names which will either has ABC_DEF or NN in their filename Please note that both cannot appear in the same file name currently I am using ls -lrt /zthetl/SrcFiles/*ABC_DEF*.xls| head -1 | nawk '{print $9}' How to combine the NN in this code?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX script to display the filename

Hi All How to answer the below interview question.. With a path and filename of "/mydir1/mydir2/mydir3/myfilenane.dat" write a UNIX script to display the filename (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shumail
2 Replies
epp(3erl)						     Erlang Module Definition							 epp(3erl)

NAME
epp - An Erlang Code Preprocessor DESCRIPTION
The Erlang code preprocessor includes functions which are used by compile to preprocess macros and include files before the actual parsing takes place. EXPORTS
open(FileName, IncludePath) -> {ok,Epp} | {error, ErrorDescriptor} open(FileName, IncludePath, PredefMacros) -> {ok,Epp} | {error, ErrorDescriptor} Types FileName = atom() | string() IncludePath = [DirectoryName] DirectoryName = atom() | string() PredefMacros = [{atom(),term()}] Epp = pid() -- handle to the epp server ErrorDescriptor = term() Opens a file for preprocessing. close(Epp) -> ok Types Epp = pid() -- handle to the epp server Closes the preprocessing of a file. parse_erl_form(Epp) -> {ok, AbsForm} | {eof, Line} | {error, ErrorInfo} Types Epp = pid() AbsForm = term() Line = integer() ErrorInfo = see separate description below. Returns the next Erlang form from the opened Erlang source file. The tuple {eof, Line} is returned at end-of-file. The first form corresponds to an implicit attribute -file(File,1). , where File is the name of the file. parse_file(FileName,IncludePath,PredefMacro) -> {ok,[Form]} | {error,OpenError} Types FileName = atom() | string() IncludePath = [DirectoryName] DirectoryName = atom() | string() PredefMacros = [{atom(),term()}] Form = term() -- same as returned by erl_parse:parse_form Preprocesses and parses an Erlang source file. Note that the tuple {eof, Line} returned at end-of-file is included as a "form". ERROR INFORMATION
The ErrorInfo mentioned above is the standard ErrorInfo structure which is returned from all IO modules. It has the following format: {ErrorLine, Module, ErrorDescriptor} A string which describes the error is obtained with the following call: Module:format_error(ErrorDescriptor) SEE ALSO
erl_parse(3erl) Ericsson AB stdlib 1.17.3 epp(3erl)