Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cutting Part of Output
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cutting Part of Output Post 302472501 by DGPickett on Wednesday 17th of November 2010 09:47:52 AM
Old 11-17-2010
man cut

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

cutting part of string

Hi, I wanted to cut a specific portion from given string. How would I do that? Example: /u09/core/inbound/abc.txt is my string. I want abc.txt in a variable. Please help me. Regards, Dhaval (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhaval_khamar
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting part of output to stdout

Hi, I am trying to execute a command like this: find ./ -name "*.gz" -exec sh -c 'zcat {} | awk -f parse.awk' \; >> output If I want to print the filename, i generally use the -print argument to the find command but when I am redirecting the output to a file, how can I print just the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a part of output data as output

HI Guys, I need some expert help.. i have this below data as input WHERE StartTime >= '2010-03-24 20:10:08' AND username in('abc_xxx_yyy_01') and output need is just in appreciate your help on this !!!! thanks you ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitinrp1
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract one part from whole output

Hi All, I am trying to write a small shell programming to get db2 database size info. The command I am going to use is- db2 "CALL GET_DBSIZE_INFO(?, ?, ?, -1)" and the output of above command generally is- Value of output parameters -------------------------- Parameter Name :... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any shell scripts for cutting and pasting part of data?

Hi, I have a tab-delimited txt file as below. It is part of the original file. I want to cut the lines starting with "3" in column1 and paste them before the lines starting with "1" in column 1. So I will get Anyone knows any simple shell scripts to do that? The original file is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cliffyiu
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

combining cat output and cutting rows

I have a file that contain the following. -D HTTPD_ROOT="/usr/local/apache" -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="conf/httpd.conf" I want a shell script, so that after cat filename and apply the shell script I should get the output as follows. /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf ie cat filename |... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anilcliff
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting strings from output of command

Hi, I am new to scripting and need help in cutting strings from output of a command. For exapmle in am getting the following as the out out from the command i run: Out Condition: Askajdsdfa | date: 1204 | oper: + I need to get the output as Askajdsdfa and 1204. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hraj1984
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting a part of line till delimiter

here are the few scenarios... isoSizeKB text NOT NULL, reserved1 varchar(255), KEY `deviceId` (`deviceId`) `d5` varchar(255) COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci DEFAULT NULL, `dHead` enum('HistoryInfo','Diversion') COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci, `ePR` int(11) DEFAULT '0', PRIMARY KEY (`id`) ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cutting disk space output

Running this code df -h | head -2 | awk '{print $8}' Gives me the following output: %iused 6% What I'm trying to do is get the 6% but I'm having trouble doing this using cut -c, I think that this could be because the text is on different lines; is there a way of doing this? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: $shell_Learner
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extract a part of grep output

Hi, On AIX 7 I have : grep 's_ohs_instance_loc' $CONTEXT_FILE <ohs_instance_loc oa_var="s_ohs_instance_loc">/u01/appl_top/env/fs1/FMW_Home/webtier/instances/EBS_web_env_OHS1</ohs_instance_loc> But I need only this part:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies
shell(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 shell(1F)

NAME
shell - run a command using shell SYNOPSIS
shell command [command] ... DESCRIPTION
The shell function concatenate its arguments, separating each by a space, and passes this string to the shell ($SHELL if set, otherwise /usr/bin/sh). EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample output of shell command. Since the Form and Menu Language does not directly support background processing, the shell function can be used instead. `shell "build prog > /dev/null &"` If you want the user to continue to be able to interact with the application while the background job is running, the output of an exe- cutable run by shell in the background must be redirected: to a file if you want to save the output, or to /dev/null if you don't want to save it (or if there is no output), otherwise your application may appear to be hung until the background job finishes processing. shell can also be used to execute a command that has the same name as an FMLI built-in function. NOTES
The arguments to shell will be concatenate using spaces, which may or may not do what is expected. The variables set in local environments will not be expanded by the shell because "local" means "local to the current process." ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jul 1990 shell(1F)