Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Storage from SAN
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Storage from SAN Post 302472155 by kopper on Tuesday 16th of November 2010 12:06:53 PM
Old 11-16-2010
Storage from SAN

hi guys

I installed Centos 5.5 (local disk). I am using 2 HBAs
Now I mapped 5 LUNs from a Storage.
I will be using LVM

just to test I assigned a LUN I've read I have to use multipath to avoid my Centos see the LUN twice

I enabled mdmpd and multipathd...

something else I should do?

by the way I added this LUN 5G but when I boot the server I get these errors those are about sdb BUT when I showed the LUN to the server
fdisk -l only showed me /dev/sdc ???? is the multipathd working?

HTML Code:
end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device sdb, logical block 0
Buffer I/O error on device sdb, logical block 1
Buffer I/O error on device sdb, logical block 2
Buffer I/O error on device sdb, logical block 3
end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device sdb, logical block 0
end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 10485752
Buffer I/O error on device sdb, logical block 1310719
end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 10485752
Buffer I/O error on device sdb, logical block 1310719
end_request:

thanks a lot

Last edited by kopper; 11-16-2010 at 01:53 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Using San storage - advice needed

Thinking of using our San for network backups.. Have a Netra 240 being installed and planning to get some space on our San. Do you know what software is used to access the San from my server or what I would need to do? I know how to connect to local storage, disk arrays etc but not sure what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Switching SAN storage

Hi, I have an existing SUN server that has a SAN storage installed on it. It also has softwares like Appwrox(scheduler), Taradata (database client), Samba Share and a few more installed on it. Now suppose that I have a new unix server server and i switch the same SAN store from the old unix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: myloginid
1 Replies

3. AIX

SAN storage and speed

I have 3 SAN disks of 1 TB each. Is it more efficient to make 1 large Volume group with multiple LV's or 3 Volume Groups with 1 LV each. The SAN disk is where all my backups will be dumped.:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveisme
1 Replies

4. Solaris

SAN Storage to solaris 10 server

Hi, I have configured our SAN Storage to be connected to our new SUN T5220. On the SAn it looks all fine on the server I do not see any connection: cfgadm -al Ap_Id Type Receptacle Occupant Condition c1 scsi-bus connected ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manni2
4 Replies

5. Red Hat

how do we check SAN storage?

Hello, I am using LINUX OS. I want to check what is the SAN storage size. How do i check this in server? Any help is really appreciated.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Cannot see the IBM SAN storage

HI all, I had recently change the Server storage from EMC to the IBM SAN. but after the configuration, the IBM success to see the server HBA port and successfully assign a LUN for the server. When i go to the server, and restarted it. i use the "format" command to check, but din see any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
1 Replies

7. Solaris

SAN Storage for ASM

Hi, We are planning to setup a 10gR2 RAC and storage on ASM. We use Sun StorEdge SAN. The installation and configuration manual says to configure ASM diskgroups with raw devices (preferably raw disk not volumes). I dont really know if its possible to present raw disks to the Solaris... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: esmgr
4 Replies

8. AIX

New to San Storage

Can anyone recommend a good book on san storage basics and how it communicates with an AIX server? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Connecting to SAN storage - whats need to be done ?

hi all, I am on solaris 10 1/13 and new to SAN storage. I am required to connect to the LUNs on the SAN storage and is asked to provide the WWN information to the storage administrator. Right now, it will be just 1 connection from a single hba port to the FCport on the storage directly,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: javanoob
1 Replies
SG_MAP26(8)							     SG3_UTILS							       SG_MAP26(8)

NAME
sg_map26 - maps a special file to a SCSI generic (sg) device (or vice versa) SYNOPSIS
sg_map26 [--dev_dir=DIR] [--given_is=0|1] [--help] [--result=0|1|2|3] [--symlink] [--verbose] [--version] DEVICE DESCRIPTION
Maps a special file (block or char) associated with a SCSI device to the corresponding SCSI generic (sg) device, or vice versa. Can also be given a sysfs file, for example '/sys/block/sda' or '/sys/block/sda/dev'. Rather than map to or from a sg device, the sysfs file name matching a given device special file (or vice versa) can be requested. This is done with '--result=2' and '--result=3'. This feature works on ATA devices (e.g. 'dev/hdc') as well as SCSI devices. In this utility, "mapped" refers to finding the relationship between a SCSI generic (sg) node and the higher level SCSI device name; or vice versa. For example '/dev/sg0' may "map" to '/dev/sda'. Mappings may not exist, if a relevant module is not loaded, for example. Also there are SCSI devices that can only be accessed via a sg node (e.g. SAF-TE and some SES devices). In this utility, "matching" refers to different representations of the same device accessed via the same driver. For example, '/dev/hdc' and '/sys/block/hdc' usually refer to the same device and thus would be considered matching. A related example is that '/dev/cdrom' and '/dev/hdc' are also considered matching if '/dev/cdrom' is a symlink to '/dev/hdc'. OPTIONS
Arguments to long options are mandatory for short options as well. -d, --dev_dir=DIR where DIR is the directory to search for resultant device special files in (or symlinks to same). Only active when '--result=0' (the default) or '--result=2'. If this option is not given and DEVICE is a device special file then the directory part of DEVICE is assumed. If this option is not given and DEVICE is a sysfs name, then if necessary '/dev' is assumed as the directory. -g, --given_is=0 | 1 specifies the DEVICE is either a device special file (when the argument is 0), or a sysfs 'dev' file (when the argument is 1). The parent directory of a sysfs 'dev' file is also accepted (e.g. either '/sys/block/sda/dev' or '/sys/block/sda' are accepted). Usu- ally there is no need to give this option since this utility first checks for special files (or symlinks to special files) and if not, assumes it has been given a sysfs 'dev' file (or its parent). Generates an error if given and disagrees with variety of DEVICE. -h, --help output the usage message then exit. -r, --result=0 | 1 | 2 | 3 specifies what variety of file (or files) that this utility tries to find. The default is a "mapped" device special file, when the argument is 0. When the argument is 1, this utility tries to find the "mapped" sysfs node name. When the argument is 2, this util- ity tries to find the "matching" device special file. When the argument is 3, this utility tries to find the "matching" sysfs node name. -s, --symlink when a device special file is being sought (i.e. when '--result=0' (the default) or '--result=2') then also look for symlinks to that device special file in the same directory. -v, --verbose increase the level of verbosity, (i.e. debug output). -V, --version print the version string and then exit. NOTES
This utility is designed for the linux 2.6 kernel series. It uses special file major and minor numbers (and whether the special is block or character) together with sysfs to do its mapping or matching. In the absence of any other information, device special files are assumed to be in the '/dev' directory while sysfs is assumed to be mounted at '/sys'. Device names in sysfs are predictable, given the corresponding major and minor number of the device. However, due to udev rules, the name of device special files can be anything the user desires (e.g. '/dev/sda' could be named '/dev/my_boot_disk'). When trying to find a resultant device special file, this utility uses the major and minor numbers (and whether a block or char device is sought) to search the device directory. This utility only shows one relationship at a time. To get an overview of all SCSI devices, with special file names and optionally the "mapped" sg device name, see the lsscsi utility. EXAMPLES
Assume sg2 maps to sdb while dvd, cdrom and hdc are all matching. # sg_map26 /dev/sg2 /dev/sdb # sg_map26 /dev/sdb /dev/sg2 # sg_map26 --result=0 /dev/sdb /dev/sg2 # sg_map26 --result=3 /dev/sdb /sys/block/sda # sg_map26 --result=1 /dev/sdb /sys/class/scsi_generic/sg0 Now look at '/dev/hdc' and friends # sg_map26 /dev/hdc <error: a hd device does not map to a sg device> # sg_map26 --result=3 /dev/hdc /sys/block/hdc # sg_map26 --result=2 /dev/hdc /dev/hdc # sg_map26 --result=2 --symlink /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom /dev/dvd /dev/hdc # sg_map26 --result=2 --symlink /sys/block/hdc /dev/cdrom /dev/dvd /dev/hdc EXIT STATUS
The exit status of sg_map26 is 0 when it is successful. Otherwise see the sg3_utils(8) man page. AUTHORS
Written by Douglas Gilbert. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <dgilbert at interlog dot com>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2005-2007 Douglas Gilbert This software is distributed under a FreeBSD license. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PUR- POSE. SEE ALSO
udev(8), udevinfo(8), lsscsi(lsscsi) sg3_utils-1.23 January 2007 SG_MAP26(8)