Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Korn shell scripting
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Korn shell scripting Post 302469965 by fpmurphy on Monday 8th of November 2010 07:26:29 PM
Old 11-08-2010
Humm, I never heard of ksh99. Are you sure you do not mean ksh88 or pdksh?

What unix systems do you have access to?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

practice tests- Unix Korn Shell Scripting

Hi, I am about to take certification for "Unix Korn Shell Scripting", which is conducted by brain bench. ( http://www.brainbench.com/xml/bb/common/testcenter/taketest.xml?testId=46) The test consists of 40 single and multiple choice questions that must be answered in 60 minutes. The pass mark... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eswasas
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repost-Korn Shell Scripting

Hi, being very new to Korn Shell Scripting I am hoping that someone here can help me. I want to compare file name in scp/inbox directory to file name stored inside a file in pnt/compare directory. Hi, being very new to Korn Shell Scripting I am hoping that someone here can help me. I want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hanie123
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Korn Shell Scripting

Hi I'm new to scripting and I don't know where to start. I need to create a script that needs to look for specific files in a specific folder then I need to return the filename, the recordcount, bytecount and checksums. Then I need to write these results into a new file. I would appreciate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: th0123
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent Korn Shell scripting Help Pleaaaase...

Hello All, Can someone help me to set a user's password from the script using korn shell. The password change is a one time password after user account creation. I tried providing the input file as the value for password field but password change requires tty so my password from an input file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaix14
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Solaris Korn Shell Scripting

I have made the following simple script: a=0 let a=$a+1 if "] then mailx -s "Up" abc@yahoo.com fi When I run the above script, I get the following error: # ./new.ksh ./new.ksh: ]: not found. Please tell me how to use if here? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamaldeep1986
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Comparison in Korn shell scripting

I have a scenario to implement in Korn shell script. Here it is.. I need to compare two values to see whether they are same or not. The issue is that the values coming in for comparison can be a string or an integer which can be determined during run time only. Which korn shell comparison... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vani123
2 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

korn shell scripting

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: There is a menu driven program and there are some fields to be achived 3. Display contents of all .lst files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jainitai
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in Korn Shell scripting

#! /bin/ksh while read line do if ] ; then echo "no data" continue; fi echo "performing operation on $line" done < prg.txt (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Juhi Kashyap
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dialog box in korn shell scripting

Does dialog box works on all kind of shells? I am using korn shell in Linux . For me dialog is not working :) is there any particular syntax or do we need to have particular OS version or shell env? #!/bin/ksh dialog --title "create file" \ --backtitle "shell script practice" \... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NarayanaPrakash
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Typeset is not working in Linux korn shell scripting

Hi All, Kindly help on the below issue ASAP. Its very urgent. I have script in which we have below two lines for code and it is not working. Please help. files_to_process=" abc_*.log def_*.log ghi_*.log " typeset -A dir_list ${files_to_process} the script is failing in Linux... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tvbhkishore
3 Replies
xpamethod(7)							SAORD Documentation						      xpamethod(7)

NAME
XPAMethod - XPA Communication Methods SYNOPSIS
XPA supports both inet and unix (local) socket communication. DESCRIPTION
XPA uses sockets for communication between processes. It supports three methods of socket communication: inet, localhost, and unix. In gen- eral, the same method should be employed for all XPA processes in a session and the global environment variable XPA_METHOD should be used to set up the desired method. By default, the preferred method is "inet", which is appropriate for most users. You can set up a different method by typing something like: setenv XPA_METHOD local # unix csh XPA_METHOD=local; export XPA_METHOD # unix sh, bash, windows/cygwin set XPA_METHOD=localhost # dos/windows The options for XPA_METHOD are: inet, unix (or local), and localhost. On Unix machines, this environment setup command can be placed in your shell init file (.cshrc, .profile, .bashrc, etc.) On Windows platforms, it can be placed in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file (I think!). By default, inet sockets are used by XPA. These are the standard Internet sockets that are used by programs such as Netscape, ftp. etc. Inet sockets utilize the IP address of the given machine and a (usually random) port number to communicate between processes on the same machine or between different machines on the Internet. (Note that XPA has an Access Control mechanism to prevent unauthorized access of XPA access points by other computers on the Net). For users connected to the Internet, this usually is the appropriate communication method. For more information about setting up XPA communication between machines, see Communication Between Machines. In you are using XPA on a machine without an Internet connection, then inet sockets are not appropriate. In fact, an XPA process often will hang for many seconds while waiting for a response from the Domain Name Service (DNS) when using inet sockets. Instead of inet sockets, users on Unix platforms can also use unix sockets (also known as local sockets). These sockets are based on the local file system and do not make use of the DNS. They generally are considered to be faster than inet sockets, but they are not implemented under Windows. Use local sockets as a first resort if you are on a Unix machine that is not connected to the Internet. Users not connected to the Internet also can use localhost sockets. These are also inet-type sockets but the IP address used for the local machine is the localhost address, 0x7F000001, instead of the real IP of the machine. Depending on how sockets are set up for a given plat- form, communication with the DNS usually is not required in this case (though of course, XPA cannot interact with other machines). The localhost method will generally work on both Unix and Windows platforms, but whether the DNS is required or not is subject to individual configurations. A final warning/reminder: if your XPA-enabled server hangs at startup time and your XPA_METHOD is inet, the problem probably is related to an incorrect Internet configuration. This can be confirmed by using the unix method or (usually) the localhost method. You can use these alternate methods if other hosts do not need access to the XPA server. SEE ALSO
See xpa(7) for a list of XPA help pages version 2.1.14 June 7, 2012 xpamethod(7)