Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Help needed in fixing port issue - Urgent Post 302468364 by Loic Domaigne on Tuesday 2nd of November 2010 01:28:37 PM
Old 11-02-2010
How Do you perform the vip fail-over? Is the ARP cache correctly updated on the host running the health check after the fail-over took place?

Last edited by Loic Domaigne; 11-02-2010 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: english

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Urgent help needed

Hi I am using DB2 as the database and i am reading syscat.columns from the database. I want to manipulate the rows returned by running SQL query from the shell script. The manipulation involves addition and deletion of the rows from the resultset. All the above i want to do using SQL... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
5 Replies

2. Linux

urgent......Serial port

I think my serial port(on board) is not working ...... because when I am running same code on two machines its working good....but when my system comes into picture ....it doesnt show any output comming from serial port.......... can anybody tell me how to configure my serial port.........or to... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunchaudhary19
16 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Urgent XP help needed Please

Hi, Please accept my apologies if I have not explained anything clearly enough but i am a little old on new lingo!!! I am running XP from home and last night the following happened. After being logged on for pretty much the full day, I had what seemed like a pop up come up. Although most pop... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nike1601
3 Replies

4. Linux

Urgent - serial port

Hi All, I am a begineer in Linux, I have 4 ports and 3 are operational port 1,port 2 and port 4 (when I plug in serial device I can see it working) but port 3 seems it is not working. I am sure the hardware is fine. when I give command dmesg | grep tty I get, serial 8250:ttyS0 at... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vr_82
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

urgent help needed in telnet issue

Hi, Whenever i am trying to telnet to server i am getting frequent error Authorized Login: prtsrc's Password: /dev/pts/171: Password read timed out -- possible noise on port when i am rerunning the same it is working fine thanks, sam (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam99
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent Help Needed.

Hi, Below is my issue which I desperately need and I want a shell script which can do this job. I need this script as I m planning to put this for a system health check. Please assist me. 1. There are 10 log files in a particular location. 2. open each log file. Goto to the end of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kashriram
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need help in fixing the hangup issue due to nohup command

Hi All, I am very new to unix and to this forum.Suggest me a solution in fixing the below issue. Actually ia m executing java program through script. The command is like java pgm & The above cmd runs the java program continuous as a background thread. This script is executed from a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sahan
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Problem - Fixing needed

os: sunos/linux shell: bash awk -v PCT="$PERCENTAGE" -v UWARN="$UWARNING" -v UCRIT="$UCRITICAL" 'BEGIN { PCT=PCT+0; UWARN=UWARN+0; UCRIT=UCRIT+0 ; if(PCT<UWARN) { printf \" '${FILESYS}':... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

9. Solaris

help needed for fixing zfs bug

Hi Experts I've problem in a my office server (solaris 10 - x86) version. x4600 M2 hardware This system is getting rebooted because of zfs bug I've applied patch using live upgrade with live new environment created and applied the patch which oracle suggested( 144501-19), it asks for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SunSolars_admin
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent Help needed...

Hi I want to create a script which deleted files in the following folders older than 30 days. There are a particular version of files inside it to be deleted Folders : /files0/interfaces/ResponsysSavedList/BackInStock/EmailContent/backup... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scudza
3 Replies
ARP(4P) 																   ARP(4P)

NAME
arp - Address Resolution Protocol SYNOPSIS
/sys/conf/SYSTEM: NETHER 1 # ether pseudo-device DESCRIPTION
ARP is a protocol used to dynamically map between DARPA Internet and 10Mb/s Ethernet addresses. It is used by all the 10Mb/s Ethernet interface drivers. It is not specific to Internet protocols or to 10Mb/s Ethernet, but this implementation currently supports only that combination. ARP caches Internet-Ethernet address mappings. When an interface requests a mapping for an address not in the cache, ARP queues the mes- sage which requires the mapping and broadcasts a message on the associated network requesting the address mapping. If a response is pro- vided, the new mapping is cached and any pending message is transmitted. ARP will queue at most one packet while waiting for a mapping request to be responded to; only the most recently ``transmitted'' packet is kept. To facilitate communications with systems which do not use ARP, ioctls are provided to enter and delete entries in the Internet-to-Ethernet tables. Usage: #include <sys/ioctl.h> #include <sys/socket.h> #include <net/if.h> struct arpreq arpreq; ioctl(s, SIOCSARP, (caddr_t)&arpreq); ioctl(s, SIOCGARP, (caddr_t)&arpreq); ioctl(s, SIOCDARP, (caddr_t)&arpreq); Each ioctl takes the same structure as an argument. SIOCSARP sets an ARP entry, SIOCGARP gets an ARP entry, and SIOCDARP deletes an ARP entry. These ioctls may be applied to any socket descriptor s, but only by the super-user. The arpreq structure contains: /* * ARP ioctl request */ struct arpreq { struct sockaddr arp_pa; /* protocol address */ struct sockaddr arp_ha; /* hardware address */ int arp_flags;/* flags */ }; /* arp_flags field values */ #define ATF_COM 0x02/* completed entry (arp_ha valid) */ #define ATF_PERM 0x04 /* permanent entry */ #define ATF_PUBL 0x08 /* publish (respond for other host) */ #define ATF_USETRAILERS 0x10 /* send trailer packets to host */ The address family for the arp_pa sockaddr must be AF_INET; for the arp_ha sockaddr it must be AF_UNSPEC. The only flag bits which may be written are ATF_PERM, ATF_PUBL and ATF_USETRAILERS. ATF_PERM causes the entry to be permanent if the ioctl call succeeds. The peculiar nature of the ARP tables may cause the ioctl to fail if more than 8 (permanent) Internet host addresses hash to the same slot. ATF_PUBL specifies that the ARP code should respond to ARP requests for the indicated host coming from other machines. This allows a host to act as an ``ARP server,'' which may be useful in convincing an ARP-only machine to talk to a non-ARP machine. ARP is also used to negotiate the use of trailer IP encapsulations; trailers are an alternate encapsulation used to allow efficient packet alignment for large packets despite variable-sized headers. Hosts which wish to receive trailer encapsulations so indicate by sending gra- tuitous ARP translation replies along with replies to IP requests; they are also sent in reply to IP translation replies. The negotiation is thus fully symmetrical, in that either or both hosts may request trailers. The ATF_USETRAILERS flag is used to record the receipt of such a reply, and enables the transmission of trailer packets to that host. ARP watches passively for hosts impersonating the local host (i.e. a host which responds to an ARP mapping request for the local host's address). DIAGNOSTICS
duplicate IP address!! sent from ethernet address: %x:%x:%x:%x:%x:%x. ARP has discovered another host on the local network which responds to mapping requests for its own Internet address. SEE ALSO
ec(4), de(4), il(4), inet(4F), arp(8C), ifconfig(8C) ``An Ethernet Address Resolution Protocol,'' RFC826, Dave Plummer, Network Information Center, SRI. ``Trailer Encapsulations,'' RFC893, S.J. Leffler and M.J. Karels, Network Information Center, SRI. BUGS
ARP packets on the Ethernet use only 42 bytes of data; however, the smallest legal Ethernet packet is 60 bytes (not including CRC). Some systems may not enforce the minimum packet size, others will. 3rd Berkeley Distribution August 1, 1987 ARP(4P)