Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Ext3 to NTFS - transfering data Post 302466889 by DGPickett on Wednesday 27th of October 2010 03:32:10 PM
Old 10-27-2010
Well, 270 gb takes a while to write, no free lunch. You could leave it compressed and write less, if you can figure how to access it on the other side -- zip files suggest themselves, being explorable, windows having compressed folders and with files clickable to open.

cp -rp to a mount would do a cpio pass for you. If the mount is over the network, it would be even slower!

With SAMBA, you can leave the data in place and let them access it on UNIX.

Solaris has a neat ClientFS that is nfs with local caching on hard disk. You start off a little slow, but then all the files re-accessed are on the local hard drive. Ditto for local mods flowing back to the NFS volume. They do not recommend high writes, but it looks like you could turn off updates during the day and then turn them on later for bulk updating.

Plan9 OS from AT&T Belll Labs had hierarchical storage, where every hard drive was a cache for the optical WORM. Never had to ask people to clean their dirs again.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Transfering a window to another screen

Dear Experts I am using a workstatin with two screens and its OS is solaris 8. I wish to trnsfer some application windows from one screen to another one without need to closing the window and open it from other screen. Please advise Bests Reza (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Transfering files

Hi all. 1. How can i copy files from one unix system to another. should i use ftp? so How? 2. How can i create an archive whose extention is tar.gz? and how can i decompress them later? 3. WHat is RPM ? what does it stands for? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vbs
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Transfering files from one server to another.

My oracle database is generating archive logs. I want to copy those archive logs over to backup server on a regular basis. I know how to create an ftp job and I can put it in my crontab. My problem is that I don't know how to send the files just once instead of sends all the files in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alan Bird
4 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Transfering size between partitions

Below is a list of the file system on my Sun system. How can I transfer more disk space from the "/space" partition to the "/" partition with out rebuilding? / /dev/dsk/c0t0d0 6191949 5736718 393312 94% /proc /proc 0 0 0 0% /dev/fd fd 0 0 0 0% /etc/mntta ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: meyersp
10 Replies

5. BSD

Mounting ext3 & NTFS on PC-BSD!!

I'm having problem mounting ext3 & ntfs partitions on my PC-BSD OS. Can anyone please help me out here. What are the changes required to be done in fstab?? Are there any patches to be installed?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: void_man()
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

transfering a directory to the toolman

I have a question about transferring a directory to the toolman. I have a directory called assn3 that contains two txt files and one empty directory and I want to transfer the assn3 to my my tooman account. Every time I try to transfer the file it says that the assn3 is not a regular file! what... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aama100
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

CentOS and XP dualboot + ext3/ntfs mount

I have WinXP Pro SP2 on first disk /dev/hda, which my BIOS currently has as first boot device. I have CentOS-5.2-x86_64 on second disk /dev/hdb, which I can boot into if I set my BIOS to boot from this HDD. It is using LVM with vg00 and a single LV for root (/) filesystem (ext3). How do I get... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: apra143
19 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Data files on AIX to NTFS Drive

How can I copy a data disk on an AIX system to a Windows readable format (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phill
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Errors received while restoring my data from ext3 filesystem

Hi All, I have dual boot on my laptop - Win8 And linuxMint. From linuxmint i had copied all my data found on the NTFS partitions (on my laptop) to an external hard drive (formatted with ext3). i used rsync for this. Now after my hard disk crashed, am restoring the data back from ext3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
2 Replies
NTFS.UTIL(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      NTFS.UTIL(8)

NAME
ntfs.util -- NTFS file system utility SYNOPSIS
ntfs.util -k device ntfs.util -m device mountpoint mountflag1 mountflag2 mountflag3 mountflag4 ntfs.util -p device mountflag1 mountflag2 ntfs.util -u device mountpoint DESCRIPTION
The ntfs.util command supports the mounting, probing, and unmounting of NTFS file systems. Options: -k Get the UUID key for the NTFS file system at device. -m Mount the NTFS file system located on device onto mountpoint with the flags mountflag1 mountflag2 mountflag3 mountflag4. -p Probe the device for an NTFS file system using the flags mountflag1 mountflag2. If the probe is successful, i.e. the device contains a valid NTFS file system, its label is printed to the standard output stream. -u Unmount the NTFS file system located at device and mounted on mountpoint. The mountflags referenced above are: o mountflag1: removable or fixed o mountflag2: readonly or writeable o mountflag3: suid or nosuid o mountflag4: dev or nodev SEE ALSO
diskarbitrationd(8) mount_ntfs(8) HISTORY
This NTFS implementation first appeared in Mac OS X 10.5. AUTHORS
This NTFS implementation was written by Anton Altaparmakov <aia21@cantab.net>. Mac OS X October 22, 2006 Mac OS X