Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Ext3 to NTFS - transfering data Post 302466866 by huntreilly25 on Wednesday 27th of October 2010 02:34:20 PM
Old 10-27-2010
k , i found simply using piped tar commands works, example:
Code:
tar cf - /mnt/ext/data/ | tar -C /mnt/ntfs/ -xf -

However, takes forever because, after all, I am trying to transfer around 270gb.
If I were to pipe through gzip and then gunzip is there an argument (like the -C in tar) where I can tell gunzip to uncompress in a specific directory?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Transfering a window to another screen

Dear Experts I am using a workstatin with two screens and its OS is solaris 8. I wish to trnsfer some application windows from one screen to another one without need to closing the window and open it from other screen. Please advise Bests Reza (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Transfering files

Hi all. 1. How can i copy files from one unix system to another. should i use ftp? so How? 2. How can i create an archive whose extention is tar.gz? and how can i decompress them later? 3. WHat is RPM ? what does it stands for? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vbs
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Transfering files from one server to another.

My oracle database is generating archive logs. I want to copy those archive logs over to backup server on a regular basis. I know how to create an ftp job and I can put it in my crontab. My problem is that I don't know how to send the files just once instead of sends all the files in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alan Bird
4 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Transfering size between partitions

Below is a list of the file system on my Sun system. How can I transfer more disk space from the "/space" partition to the "/" partition with out rebuilding? / /dev/dsk/c0t0d0 6191949 5736718 393312 94% /proc /proc 0 0 0 0% /dev/fd fd 0 0 0 0% /etc/mntta ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: meyersp
10 Replies

5. BSD

Mounting ext3 & NTFS on PC-BSD!!

I'm having problem mounting ext3 & ntfs partitions on my PC-BSD OS. Can anyone please help me out here. What are the changes required to be done in fstab?? Are there any patches to be installed?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: void_man()
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

transfering a directory to the toolman

I have a question about transferring a directory to the toolman. I have a directory called assn3 that contains two txt files and one empty directory and I want to transfer the assn3 to my my tooman account. Every time I try to transfer the file it says that the assn3 is not a regular file! what... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aama100
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

CentOS and XP dualboot + ext3/ntfs mount

I have WinXP Pro SP2 on first disk /dev/hda, which my BIOS currently has as first boot device. I have CentOS-5.2-x86_64 on second disk /dev/hdb, which I can boot into if I set my BIOS to boot from this HDD. It is using LVM with vg00 and a single LV for root (/) filesystem (ext3). How do I get... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: apra143
19 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Data files on AIX to NTFS Drive

How can I copy a data disk on an AIX system to a Windows readable format (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phill
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Errors received while restoring my data from ext3 filesystem

Hi All, I have dual boot on my laptop - Win8 And linuxMint. From linuxmint i had copied all my data found on the NTFS partitions (on my laptop) to an external hard drive (formatted with ext3). i used rsync for this. Now after my hard disk crashed, am restoring the data back from ext3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
2 Replies
GIT-TAR-TREE(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-TAR-TREE(1)

NAME
git-tar-tree - Create a tar archive of the files in the named tree object SYNOPSIS
git tar-tree [--remote=<repo>] <tree-ish> [ <base> ] DESCRIPTION
THIS COMMAND IS DEPRECATED. Use git archive with --format=tar option instead (and move the <base> argument to --prefix=base/). Creates a tar archive containing the tree structure for the named tree. When <base> is specified it is added as a leading path to the files in the generated tar archive. git tar-tree behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header. It can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. OPTIONS
<tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce tar archive for. If it is the object name of a commit object. <base> Leading path to the files in the resulting tar archive. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. EXAMPLES
git tar-tree HEAD junk | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extracts it in /var/tmp/junk directory. git tar-tree v1.4.0 git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release. git tar-tree v1.4.0^{tree} git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git tar-tree --remote=example.com:git.git v1.4.0 >git-1.4.0.tar Get a tarball v1.4.0 from example.com. git tar-tree HEAD:Documentation/ git-docs > git-1.4.0-docs.tar Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.tar, with the prefix git-docs/. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.7.10.4 11/24/2012 GIT-TAR-TREE(1)