Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Why am i receiving too many argument error with this? Post 302466618 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 26th of October 2010 08:16:46 PM
Old 10-26-2010
Or:
Code:
while ps -ef | grep -q [f]irefox-bin
do
   sleep 10
done

The use of square brackets is important or grep may grep itself.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Receiving error on Unix server-- java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: registerNatives

Hi all, This is my first shell script, so I'm hoping the problem is that I'm just missing something, and not something bigger. I have a Java application that I wrote in WSAD that reads data from an Excel file and inserts values into a DB2 database. I'm able to run it successfully in WSAD. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: loveToBlade
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ERROR-> test: argument expected , what does it mean?

I am trying to compare two integer variables in the if statement, but i am getting this "test:argument expected". What am i missing? Why is the if loop not executing correctly? trunkPCM="100000"; more $FILE |while read line do PCM=`echo $line | awk '{ print $2 }'` ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tan102938
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Non Numeric Argument Error

hi there, I was recently introduced to this site by a friend. I hope you guys can help with a code error i can't seem to debug.I can get to add two different data types together. A snippet of the code is below: echo -n "Enter Your MOnthly Investment" read Inv PIP= $(echo "scale=2; 10 / 100"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Allenzo
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

get positive number n as argument script must calculate the factorial of its argument

Can someone please help me with this SHELL script? I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must calculate the factorial of its argument. In other words, it must calculate n!=1x2x3x...xn. Note that 0!=1. Here is a start but I have no clue how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Receiving error: ./ang.ksh[35]: 0403-057 Syntax error at line 116 : `done' is not expected.

Hi All I am quite new to Unix. Following is a shell script that i have written and getting the subject mentioned error. #!/bin/ksh #------------------------------------------------------------------------- # File: ang_stdnld.ksh # # Desc: UNIX shell script to extract Store information.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitsinha
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Argument too long list error

I have a wrote a script which consits of the below line.. Below of this script I'm getting this error "ksh: /usr/bin/ls: arg list too long" The line is log_file_time=`ssh -i $HOME/.ssh/id_rsa -q $i ls -lrt /bp/karthik/test/data/log/$abc*|tail -1|awk '{print $8}'` And $abc alias is as "p |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 22karthikreddy
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot compare argument in if statement in csh/grep command if argument starts with “-“

If ($argv == “-debug”) then Echo “in loop” Endif But this is not working. If I modify this code and remove “-“, then it works. Similarly I am getting problem using grep command also Grep “-debug” Filename Can someone please help me on how to resolve these... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error:--test: argument expected--Even though i give an argument.

Hi All, I am running the script VBoxManage list vms |sed 's/"//g' | cut -d " " -f1 > har1out.mytxt result=`cat har1out.mytxt | grep $1' echo $result echo $1 { if then echo pass else echo fail fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harsha85
2 Replies

9. AIX

Receiving: 4B436A3D 0313233216 T H fscsi0 LINK ERROR

Hey All, I'm receiving the following error off of a Power5 9133-55A after I write 2-5 files to the LUN: 4B436A3D 0313233216 T H fscsi0 LINK ERROR I can create the filesystem, volume groups etc etc. All goes well until there is sustained activity to the LUN then the above error... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
23 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Missing argument for option: n Error

I am trying to execute the cli.sh script in another shell script passing arguments and getting the below error. Myscript.sh #!/bin/sh /home/runAJobCli/cli.sh runAJobCli -n $Taskname -t $Tasktype I am passing the below 2 arguments and it giving error ./Myscript.sh T_SAMPLE_TEST MTT... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Info_Geek
11 Replies
FIREFOX(1)							Linux User's Manual							FIREFOX(1)

NAME
firefox - a Web browser for X11 derived from the Mozilla browser SYNOPSIS
firefox [OPTIONS] [URL] DESCRIPTION
Mozilla Firefox is an open-source web browser, designed for standards compliance, performance and portability. USAGE
firefox is a simple shell script that will set up the environment for the actual executable. OPTIONS
A summary of the options supported by firefox is included below. GTK options --gdk-debug=FLAGS Gdk debugging flags to set --gdk-no-debug=FLAGS Gdk debugging flags to unset --gtk-debug=FLAGS Gtk+ debugging flags to set --gtk-no-debug=FLAGS Gtk+ debugging flags to unset --gtk-module=MODULE Load an additional Gtk module X11 options --display=DISPLAY X display to use --sync Make X calls synchronous --no-xshm Don't use X shared memory extension --xim-preedit=STYLE --xim-status=STYLE --g-fatal-warnings Make all warnings fatal Firefox options -h, -help Show summary of options. -height value Set height of startup window to value. -width value Set width of startup window to value. -v, -version Print /usr/bin/firefox-bin version. -CreateProfile profile Create profile. -P profile Start with profile. -ProfileManager Start with profile manager. -UILocale lang-region Start with lang-region resources. -contentLocale lang-region Start with lang-region resources. -remote command Execute command in an already running Firefox process. For more info, see: http://www.mozilla.org/unix/remote.html -no-remote Don't try to control an already running instance. -jsconsole Start with Javascript Console -chrome url Load the specified chrome. -new-window url Open URL in a new window if Firefox is already running. -new-tab url Open URL in a new tab if Firefox is already running. -preferences Open Firefox preferences menu. -safe-mode Disables extensions and themes for this session. FILES /usr/bin/firefox - shell script wrapping firefox /usr/lib/firefox/firefox - firefox executable VERSION
3.0 BUGS
To report a bug, please visit http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ SEE ALSO
mozilla(1) AUTHORS
The Mozilla Organization http://www.mozilla.org/about.html firefox January 04, 2006 FIREFOX(1)