Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Why am i receiving too many argument error with this? Post 302466615 by ctsgnb on Tuesday 26th of October 2010 08:10:09 PM
Old 10-26-2010
Code:
while ( ps -ef | grep firefox-bin | grep -v grep 2>/dev/null )
do
     code
done

code will be executed as long as the grep find the pattern in the process list so (i suppose) as long as some firefox processes are found

Last edited by ctsgnb; 10-26-2010 at 09:38 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Receiving error on Unix server-- java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: registerNatives

Hi all, This is my first shell script, so I'm hoping the problem is that I'm just missing something, and not something bigger. I have a Java application that I wrote in WSAD that reads data from an Excel file and inserts values into a DB2 database. I'm able to run it successfully in WSAD. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: loveToBlade
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ERROR-> test: argument expected , what does it mean?

I am trying to compare two integer variables in the if statement, but i am getting this "test:argument expected". What am i missing? Why is the if loop not executing correctly? trunkPCM="100000"; more $FILE |while read line do PCM=`echo $line | awk '{ print $2 }'` ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tan102938
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Non Numeric Argument Error

hi there, I was recently introduced to this site by a friend. I hope you guys can help with a code error i can't seem to debug.I can get to add two different data types together. A snippet of the code is below: echo -n "Enter Your MOnthly Investment" read Inv PIP= $(echo "scale=2; 10 / 100"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Allenzo
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

get positive number n as argument script must calculate the factorial of its argument

Can someone please help me with this SHELL script? I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must calculate the factorial of its argument. In other words, it must calculate n!=1x2x3x...xn. Note that 0!=1. Here is a start but I have no clue how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Receiving error: ./ang.ksh[35]: 0403-057 Syntax error at line 116 : `done' is not expected.

Hi All I am quite new to Unix. Following is a shell script that i have written and getting the subject mentioned error. #!/bin/ksh #------------------------------------------------------------------------- # File: ang_stdnld.ksh # # Desc: UNIX shell script to extract Store information.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitsinha
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Argument too long list error

I have a wrote a script which consits of the below line.. Below of this script I'm getting this error "ksh: /usr/bin/ls: arg list too long" The line is log_file_time=`ssh -i $HOME/.ssh/id_rsa -q $i ls -lrt /bp/karthik/test/data/log/$abc*|tail -1|awk '{print $8}'` And $abc alias is as "p |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 22karthikreddy
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot compare argument in if statement in csh/grep command if argument starts with “-“

If ($argv == “-debug”) then Echo “in loop” Endif But this is not working. If I modify this code and remove “-“, then it works. Similarly I am getting problem using grep command also Grep “-debug” Filename Can someone please help me on how to resolve these... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error:--test: argument expected--Even though i give an argument.

Hi All, I am running the script VBoxManage list vms |sed 's/"//g' | cut -d " " -f1 > har1out.mytxt result=`cat har1out.mytxt | grep $1' echo $result echo $1 { if then echo pass else echo fail fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harsha85
2 Replies

9. AIX

Receiving: 4B436A3D 0313233216 T H fscsi0 LINK ERROR

Hey All, I'm receiving the following error off of a Power5 9133-55A after I write 2-5 files to the LUN: 4B436A3D 0313233216 T H fscsi0 LINK ERROR I can create the filesystem, volume groups etc etc. All goes well until there is sustained activity to the LUN then the above error... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
23 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Missing argument for option: n Error

I am trying to execute the cli.sh script in another shell script passing arguments and getting the below error. Myscript.sh #!/bin/sh /home/runAJobCli/cli.sh runAJobCli -n $Taskname -t $Tasktype I am passing the below 2 arguments and it giving error ./Myscript.sh T_SAMPLE_TEST MTT... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Info_Geek
11 Replies
FIREFOX(1)							Linux User's Manual							FIREFOX(1)

NAME
firefox - a Web browser for X11 derived from the Mozilla browser SYNOPSIS
firefox [OPTIONS] [URL] DESCRIPTION
Mozilla Firefox is an open-source web browser, designed for standards compliance, performance and portability. USAGE
firefox is a simple shell script that will set up the environment for the actual executable. OPTIONS
A summary of the options supported by firefox is included below. GTK options --gdk-debug=FLAGS Gdk debugging flags to set --gdk-no-debug=FLAGS Gdk debugging flags to unset --gtk-debug=FLAGS Gtk+ debugging flags to set --gtk-no-debug=FLAGS Gtk+ debugging flags to unset --gtk-module=MODULE Load an additional Gtk module X11 options --display=DISPLAY X display to use --sync Make X calls synchronous --no-xshm Don't use X shared memory extension --xim-preedit=STYLE --xim-status=STYLE --g-fatal-warnings Make all warnings fatal Firefox options -h, -help Show summary of options. -height value Set height of startup window to value. -width value Set width of startup window to value. -v, -version Print /usr/bin/firefox-bin version. -CreateProfile profile Create profile. -P profile Start with profile. -ProfileManager Start with profile manager. -UILocale lang-region Start with lang-region resources. -contentLocale lang-region Start with lang-region resources. -remote command Execute command in an already running Firefox process. For more info, see: http://www.mozilla.org/unix/remote.html -no-remote Don't try to control an already running instance. -jsconsole Start with Javascript Console -chrome url Load the specified chrome. -new-window url Open URL in a new window if Firefox is already running. -new-tab url Open URL in a new tab if Firefox is already running. -preferences Open Firefox preferences menu. -safe-mode Disables extensions and themes for this session. FILES /usr/bin/firefox - shell script wrapping firefox /usr/lib/firefox/firefox - firefox executable VERSION
3.0 BUGS
To report a bug, please visit http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ SEE ALSO
mozilla(1) AUTHORS
The Mozilla Organization http://www.mozilla.org/about.html firefox January 04, 2006 FIREFOX(1)