Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: prstat RSS memory
Operating Systems Solaris prstat RSS memory Post 302466608 by k4boy on Tuesday 26th of October 2010 07:58:36 PM
Old 10-26-2010
thanks ctsgnb for the reply

do you have any advice on how to better understand memory usage when dealing with shared memory ?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with prstat

Hello, The last line of prstat shows load average. I am unable to figure out what actually it is. I have read the man pages and also googled, all for no use. Can somebody help me, as to what should be the avg. load of the system for best performance and how is this load of prstat calculated. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
6 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Rss

Could RSS-support mod be installed for this forum? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eugrus
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Top and Prstat display different results for memory

I have a question about the accuracy of prstat. I did a 'prstat -t' and it shows 99% of my memory is occupied by oracle. NPROC USERNAME SIZE RSS MEMORY TIME CPU 194 oracle 343G 340G 99% 86:17.24 56% However, 'top' shows I still have 7762meg of memory free. Memory: 16G real, 7762M... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zen03
4 Replies

4. Solaris

prstat

hi all, was trying to figure out how busy my app was by looking at the performance of the app server. did a 'prstat -s rss' command to find the app servers using most memory. Found a command 'prstat -m' which is meant to show more details on each pid but the output of this command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
1 Replies

5. Solaris

100% memory usage in prstat

Hi Guys, I have observed the Oracle (DB USER) is utilizing 100% of the memory in the prstat -a output. I am bit confused is it normal and if not how to bring it down? ABout the machine it is a SunOS 5.10 Generic_125100-10 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200. Please see below output of prstat -a... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asteroid
12 Replies

6. Solaris

Free memory in top and prstat command

Hi Export, i execute 'top' command to show the free memory in Solaris host, but the read is much lower than the RSS value shown in prstat command. Which one can reflect the real status and it is possible the difference caused by any patch of OS? Top command (only 883 memory is free)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eiga
3 Replies

7. Solaris

RSS pmap and prstat

Hi, I have some question about memory in Solaris. How it's possible that prstat -a show me that some process using 230M RSS and when I'm using pmap -x show me that this same process using only 90M RSS ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: deivo
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Prstat rss and swap

Hi, someone please explain me what's the difference b/w rss and swap in PRSTAT. i'm getting output like below, NPROC USERNAME SWAP RSS MEMORY TIME CPU 70 weblogic 48G 46G 73% 449:17:03 0.4% swap always remains... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnys7143
11 Replies

9. Solaris

RSS of prstat vs RSS of PS

Hi, When I sum the RSS number in the ps command for a specific user and compare it with the RSS values of the prstat command of the same user - there is a big difference. Server details: Solaris 10 5/09 s10s_u7wos_08 SPARC prstat output: NPROC USERNAME SWAP RSS MEMORY TIME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitlib
2 Replies
pmadvise(1)							   User Commands						       pmadvise(1)

NAME
pmadvise - applies advice about memory to a process SYNOPSIS
pmadvise -o option[,option] [-F] [-l] [-v] pid... DESCRIPTION
pmadvise applies advice about how memory is used in the specified process using madvise(3C). pmadvise allows users to apply advice to a specific sub-range at a specific instant in time. pmadvise differs from madv.so.1(1) in that madv.so.1(1) applies the advice throughout execution of the target program to all segments of a specified type. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -F Force by grabbing the target process even if another process has control. You should exercise caution when using the -F option. See proc(1). -l Show unresolved dynamic linker map names. -o Specify advice to apply in the following form: private=advice shared=advice heap=advice stack=advice address[:length]=advice where the advice can be one of the following: normal random sequential willneed dontneed free access_lwp access_many access_default An address and length can be given to specify a subrange to apply the advice.The address should be hexadecimal and the length should be in bytes by default. If length is not specified and the starting address refers to the start of a segment, the advice is applied to that segment. length can be qualified by K, M, G, T, P, or E to specify kilobytes, megabytes, gigabytes, terabytes, or exabytes respectively as the unit of measure. -v Print verbose output. Display output as pmap(1) does, showing what advice is being applied where. This can be useful when the advice is being applied to a named region (for example, private, shared, and so forth) to get feedback on exactly where the advice is being applied. pmadvise tries to process all legal options. If an illegal address range is specified, an error message is printed and the offending option is skipped. pmadvise quits without processing any options and prints a usage message when there is a syntax error. If conflicting advice is given on a region, the order of precedence is from most specific advice to least, that is, most general. In other words, advice specified for a particuliar address range takes precedence over advice for heap and stack which in turn takes precedence over advice for private and shared memory. Moreover, the advice in each of the following groups are mutually exclusive from the other advice within the same group: MADV_NORMAL, MADV_RANDOM, MADV_SEQUENTIAL MADV_WILLNEED, MADV_DONTNEED, MADV_FREE MADV_ACCESS_DEFAULT, MADV_ACCESS_LWP, MADV_ACCESS_MANY OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: pid Process ID. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Applying Advice to a Segment at Specified Address The following example applies advice to a segment at a specified address: % pmap $$ 100666: tcsh 00010000 312K r-x-- /usr/bin/tcsh 0006C000 48K rwx-- /usr/bin/tcsh 00078000 536K rwx-- [ heap ] FF100000 856K r-x-- /lib/libc.so.1 FF1E6000 32K rwx-- /lib/libc.so.1 FF1EE000 8K rwx-- /lib/libc.so.1 FF230000 168K r-x-- /lib/libcurses.so.1 FF26A000 32K rwx-- /lib/libcurses.so.1 FF272000 8K rwx-- /lib/libcurses.so.1 FF280000 576K r-x-- /lib/libnsl.so.1 FF310000 40K rwx-- /lib/libnsl.so.1 FF31A000 24K rwx-- /lib/libnsl.so.1 FF364000 8K rwxs- [ anon ] FF370000 48K r-x-- /lib/libsocket.so.1 FF38C000 8K rwx-- /lib/libsocket.so.1 FF3A0000 8K r-x-- /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/libc_psr.so.1 FF3B0000 176K r-x-- /lib/ld.so.1 FF3EC000 8K rwx-- /lib/ld.so.1 FF3EE000 8K rwx-- /lib/ld.so.1 FFBE6000 104K rw--- [ stack ] % % pmadvise -o 78000=access_lwp $$ % Example 2 Using the -v Option The following example displays verbose output from pmadvise: % pmadvise -o heap=access_lwp,stack=access_default -v $$ 1720: -sh 00010000 88K r-x-- /sbin/sh 00036000 8K rwx-- /sbin/sh 00038000 16K rwx-- [ heap ] <= access_lwp FF250000 24K r-x-- /lib/libgen.so.1 FF266000 8K rwx-- /lib/libgen.so.1 FF272000 8K rwxs- [ anon ] FF280000 840K r-x-- /lib/libc.so.1 FF362000 32K rwx-- /lib/libc.so.1 FF36A000 16K rwx-- /lib/libc.so.1 FF380000 8K r-x-- /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/libc_psr.so.1 FF390000 64K rwx-- [ anon ] FF3B0000 168K r-x-- /lib/ld.so.1 FF3EA000 8K rwx-- /lib/ld.so.1 FF3EC000 8K rwx-- /lib/ld.so.1 FFBFE000 8K rw--- [ stack ] <= access_default EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. non-zero An error occurred. FILES
/proc/* Process files /usr/prob/lib/* proc tools support files ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |See below. | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ The command syntax is Evolving. The output formats are Unstable. SEE ALSO
madv.so.1(1), pmap(1), proc(1), madvise(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 25 Sep 2008 pmadvise(1)