Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat /usr/sbin/crond: can't lock /var/run/crond.pid, Post 302465350 by ctsgnb on Friday 22nd of October 2010 08:32:55 AM
Old 10-22-2010
have a look at cron.allow and cron.deny files (location may depends on OS) make sure your user is allowed
check autorisation and ownership of /var/run/ tree ensure the user running the crond can write in it

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/usr/sbin/getty

How can i restart the console getty without rebooting the system on HPUX 11.0 Normally it will be stated by ps -ef | grep getty console 0:00 /usr/sbin/getty console console many thanx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iceman_denmark
4 Replies

2. Solaris

WARNING - /usr/sbin/fsck not found - Please help

WARNING - /usr/sbin/fsck not found. Most likely the mount of /usr failed or the /usr filesystem is badly damaged. The system is being halted. Either re-install the system of boot with -b option in an attempt to recover Anyone help me on restoring this without having to reinstall. it is a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crond

I noticed that I do not have the crond daemon in my AIX box. I need to create a backup script to run nightly. Where do I find this daemon? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dkbainbridge
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

syslog: /usr/sbin/envd[1075]:

hi friends, what is the meaning of this error ? syslog: /usr/sbin/envd: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cromohawk
2 Replies

5. Solaris

crontab /usr/sbin/rtc log rc=1

I noticed in my cron log file for my solaris 8 servers the rc=1. I imagine that is return code and something did not process. Does anyone know what that is, is there fix or the implications of leaving it? Thank you > CMD: && /usr/sbin/rtc -c > /dev/null 2>&1 > root 22049 c Fri Dec 19... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csgonan
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

redhat 5.2 tikanga crond running but not reading crontab file

Issue:crond is running, can even restart it and /var/log/cron shows it starting. The /etc/crontab file is correct as compared to another machine. I set the crontab file to enter a datestamp into a file under /tmp every minute. Thing is, the crontab file is not being read or cron is not working... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: robjmarquez
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crond not work after writing to cron log?

Yesterday I was testing out some cron commands and when i was check the /var/log/cron with vi editor I accidentally did :wq instead. Since then the log has not updated and I'm assuming no cronjob is running because looking at the log there's activities everyday there's some default stuff that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: orionoreo
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Testing privileges -lock lockfile /var/lock/subsys/..- Permission denied

Hi all, I have to test some user priviliges. The goal is to be sure that an unauthorized user can't restart some modules (ssh, mysql etc...). I'm trying to automate it with a shell script but in same cases I got the syslog broadcast message. Is there any way to simply get a return code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

crond: Authentication token is no longer valid; new one required.

Hi can any one please help me with this there are some cron jobs running on one of production servers i noticed the jobs are not running for long time, when i checked the logs i founf this message, information form the server # chage -l root Minimum: 0 Maximum: 99999... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robo
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative for /usr/sbin/userdbset on Linux

Hello. I am currently on HPUX and migrating to Linux RHEL 6.4 This program on hpux: /usr/sbin/userdbset is puzzling me on linux. Does anyone know the equivilent program forked or used on linux. This program is mentioned in our user reset script. here is a strings of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: olyanderson
2 Replies
CRONTAB(1)							   User Commands							CRONTAB(1)

NAME
crontab - maintains crontab files for individual users SYNOPSIS
crontab [-u user] file crontab [-u user] [-l | -r | -e] [-i] [-s] crontab -n [ hostname ] crontab -c DESCRIPTION
Crontab is the program used to install, remove or list the tables used to serve the cron(8) daemon. Each user can have their own crontab, and though these are files in /var/spool/, they are not intended to be edited directly. For SELinux in MLS mode, you can define more crontabs for each range. For more information, see selinux(8). In this version of Cron it is possible to use a network-mounted shared /var/spool/cron across a cluster of hosts and specify that only one of the hosts should run the crontab jobs in the particular directory at any one time. You may also use crontab(1) from any of these hosts to edit the same shared set of crontab files, and to set and query which host should run the crontab jobs. Running cron jobs can be allowed or disallowed for different users. For this purpose, use the cron.allow and cron.deny files. If the cron.allow file exists, a user must be listed in it to be allowed to use cron If the cron.allow file does not exist but the cron.deny file does exist, then a user must not be listed in the cron.deny file in order to use cron. If neither of these files exists, only the super user is allowed to use cron. Another way to restrict access to cron is to use PAM authentication in /etc/security/access.conf to set up users, which are allowed or disallowed to use crontab or modify system cron jobs in the /etc/cron.d/ directory. The temporary directory can be set in an environment variable. If it is not set by the user, the /tmp directory is used. OPTIONS
-u Appends the name of the user whose crontab is to be modified. If this option is not used, crontab examines "your" crontab, i.e., the crontab of the person executing the command. Note that su(8) may confuse crontab, thus, when executing commands under su(8) you should always use the -u option. If no crontab exists for a particular user, it is created for him the first time the crontab -u command is used under his username. -l Displays the current crontab on standard output. -r Removes the current crontab. -e Edits the current crontab using the editor specified by the VISUAL or EDITOR environment variables. After you exit from the editor, the modified crontab will be installed automatically. -i This option modifies the -r option to prompt the user for a 'y/Y' response before actually removing the crontab. -s Appends the current SELinux security context string as an MLS_LEVEL setting to the crontab file before editing / replacement occurs - see the documentation of MLS_LEVEL in crontab(5). -n This option is relevant only if cron(8) was started with the -c option, to enable clustering support. It is used to set the host in the cluster which should run the jobs specified in the crontab files in the /var/spool/cron directory. If a hostname is supplied, the host whose hostname returned by gethostname(2) matches the supplied hostname, will be selected to run the selected cron jobs subsequently. If there is no host in the cluster matching the supplied hostname, or you explicitly specify an empty hostname, then the selected jobs will not be run at all. If the hostname is omitted, the name of the local host returned by gethostname(2) is used. Using this option has no effect on the /etc/crontab file and the files in the /etc/cron.d directory, which are always run, and considered host-specific. For more information on clustering support, see cron(8). -c This option is only relevant if cron(8) was started with the -c option, to enable clustering support. It is used to query which host in the cluster is currently set to run the jobs specified in the crontab files in the directory /var/spool/cron , as set using the -n option. SEE ALSO
crontab(5), cron(8) FILES
/etc/cron.allow /etc/cron.deny STANDARDS
The crontab command conforms to IEEE Std1003.2-1992 (``POSIX''). This new command syntax differs from previous versions of Vixie Cron, as well as from the classic SVR3 syntax. DIAGNOSTICS
An informative usage message appears if you run a crontab with a faulty command defined in it. AUTHOR
Paul Vixie <vixie@isc.org> Colin Dean <colin@colin-dean.org> cronie 2012-11-22 CRONTAB(1)