Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting "date" difference between FreeBSD & Linux Post 302463136 by Corona688 on Friday 15th of October 2010 10:37:20 PM
Old 10-15-2010
Your utility assumes a 32-bit time type, and has lots of bugs on 64-bit platforms where the 2038 limit no longer applies; but is so complicated I'm not sure where to begin fixing it. I've fixed it to the point where it outputs random times instead of segfaulting..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Nescape & dial up networking "Linux"

Sorry I need to Know How to connect to the Internet using Netscape in the GUI of the Red Hat Linux .....using phone line with a modem Us robbitics ....Such as in windows We add dial up adapter etc ......:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atiato
1 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

[[ $(date +%Y) == 2007 ]] && echo "Happy New Year"

Same as the Title! :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripat
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between ">/dev/null 2>&1" and "2>&1 >/dev/null"

Does >/dev/null 2>&1 and 2>&1 >/dev/null mean the same? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
4 Replies

4. Solaris

difference between "root" and "usr" packages

Hi, could someone pls enlighten me on the difference between the "root" package and "usr" package? Like in this example: pkginfo -l SUNWGtku | grep -i desc DESC: GTK - The GIMP Toolkit (Usr) and pkginfo -l SUNWGtkr | grep -i desc DESC: GTK - The GIMP Toolkit (Root)... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: masloff
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between "/bin/bash" & "/bin/sh"

what if the difference between #!/bin/sh and #!/bin/bash I wrote a script with the second heading now when i change my heading to the first one ...the script is not executing well....im not getting the required output....any solution to this problem...or do i have to start the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xerox
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

files having Script which works behind "who" & "w" commands

Dear All, plz print the path of files which have the script of "who" & "w" commands. thnx in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saqlain.bashir
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the strings beween 2 characters "/" & "/" in .txt file

Hi all. I have a .txt file that I need to sort it My file is like: 1- 88 chain0 MASTER (FF-TE) FFFF 1962510 /TCK T FD2TQHVTT1 /jtagc/jtag_instreg/updateinstr_reg_1 dff1 (TI,SO) 2- ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Behrouzx77
10 Replies

8. Web Development

How would I mod_rewrite "/~a1Pha" and "/=a1Pha" to "/paste/a1Pha.htm"? (internally & externally)

Basically I want to shorten URLs on my html pasting site (pasteht.ml), by using "/~a1Pha" instead of "/paste/a1Pha". The ID is 5 numbers and letters, both cases. For example: /~idnum serves /paste/idnum.htm /=idnum serves /paste/idnum.htm /paste/idnum redirects to /~idnum (to update any old... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: phillips1012
0 Replies
rand(3UCB)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Library Functions						rand(3UCB)

NAME
rand, srand - simple random number generator SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/cc[ flag ... ] file ... int rand() int srand( seed); unsigned seed; DESCRIPTION
rand() uses a multiplicative congruential random number generator with period 2**32 to return successive pseudo-random numbers in the range from 0 to "2**31 -1." srand() can be called at any time to reset the random-number generator to a random starting point. The generator is initially seeded with a value of 1. SEE ALSO
drand48(3C), rand(3C), random(3C) NOTES
Use of these interfaces should be restricted to only applications written on BSD platforms. Use of these interfaces with any of the system libraries or in multi-thread applications is unsupported. The spectral properties of rand() leave a great deal to be desired. drand48(3C) and random(3C) provide much better, though more elaborate, random-number generators. The low bits of the numbers generated are not very random; use the middle bits. In particular the lowest bit alternates between 0 and 1. SunOS 5.10 12 Feb 1993 rand(3UCB)