Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches a good idea? Post 302463053 by DGPickett on Friday 15th of October 2010 02:45:45 PM
Old 10-15-2010
Copies of disk data pages in RAM can't be a bad thing, as long as they are not 'dirty' (unrepatriated to their media page)! I am amazed it took so long. Is there such a thing as too much RAM, other than to a reliability model?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual Boot a good idea?

I was just wondering if it would be alright to dual boot a machine with both UNIX using XTERM for the interface and windows 98 or if people consider this a bad idea? if you consider it bad do tell me some possible alternatives..also would it be better to get linux over pure unix? I'd like a visual... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: PravusMentis
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limitations of awk? Good idea? Bad idea?

Keeping in mind that I'm relatively comfortable with programming in general but very new to unix and korn/bourne shell scripts.. I'm using awk on a CSV file, and then performing calculations and operations on specific fields within specific records. The CSV file I'm working with has about 600... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo escaped \c in SH Shell Any Idea

Hi All, I have got an echo statement with "\c" in it to avoid getting into a newline. Ths script is using #!\bin\sh Any idea what could make it to escape "\c" (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asami
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

any good idea on this?

txt file like this, 1 2 3 4456 a bb c d 3 f e 1 k 32 d m f e 123 m 2 k every line contains 3 or more columns, all the columns are separated by space, and every column includes 1 to 3 character. what I wanna do is deleting the first three columns, and keep the rest no matter how long... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
7 Replies

5. Linux

Kernal panic error& setuproot:error mounting /proc&/sys

Hi all, I am new to redhat/fedora linux. In fedora linux 6,we created one file system(hda3 - /fs). in this mount poing we were installed mounta vista os. while booting we are getting below error messages. 1) Booting 'mountaVisat(2.6.18_pro 500_pc_target-x86_586 smp)' root(hd0,1)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arjunreddy3
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compact script with array - Good idea?

Hi, I have a shell script where a lot of the code is repeated. I wanted to make the code much more compact so I spoke to a guy and he suggested using arrays, like follows: #!/bin/bash readonly -a nginx=('nginx' '--prefix=/opt' '-j 4' 'http://nginx.org/download/nginx-1.2.2.tar.gz' )... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spadez
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Drop_caches doesn't work on Solaris but works on RHEL6

Hello Experts, I am performing performance tests on a few mysql select queries. I use the following command to clear the memory disk caches. sync && echo 3 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches I however see that the above command works on RHEL6 but doesn't work on Solaris 10. I asked... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anirudh Kumar
4 Replies

8. IP Networking

Cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range

Hello, /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range returns 32000 - 61000, i have a client TCP and a Server TCP. i have used bind() only on the server, the port of socket client is given by the OS that's it ? it retrieves this port from this range (/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range) ? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur111
5 Replies
MU-INDEX(1)                                                   General Commands Manual                                                  MU-INDEX(1)

NAME
mu_index - index e-mail messages stored in Maildirs SYNOPSIS
mu index [options] DESCRIPTION
mu index is the mu command for scanning the contents of Maildir directories and storing the results in a Xapian database. The data can then be queried using mu-find(1) index understands Maildirs as defined by Daniel Bernstein for qmail(7). In addition, it understands recursive Maildirs (Maildirs within Maildirs), Maildir++. It can also deal with VFAT-based Maildirs which use '!' as the seperators instead of ':' as used by Tinymail/Modest and some other e-mail programs. E-mail messages which are not stored in something resembling a maildir leaf-directory (cur and new) are ignored, as are the cache directo- ries for notmuch and gnus. Symlinks are not followed. If there is a file called .noindex in a directory, the contents of that directory and all of its subdirectories will be ignored. This can be useful to exclude certain directories from the indexing process, for example directories with spam-messages. The first run of mu index may take a few minutes if you have a lot of mail (ten thousands of messages). Fortunately, such a full scan needs to be done only once; after that it suffices to index the changes, which goes much faster. See the 'Note on performance' below for more information. The optional 'phase two' of the indexing-process is the removal of messages from the database for which there is no longer a corresponding file in the Maildir. If you do not want this, you can use -n, --nocleanup. When mu index catches one of the signals SIGINT, SIGHUP or SIGTERM (e.g,, when you press Ctrl-C during the indexing process), it tries to shutdown gracefully; it tries to save and commit data, and close the database etc. If it receives another signal (e.g,, when pressing Ctrl- C once more), mu index will terminate immediately. OPTIONS
Note, some of the general options are described in the mu(1) man-page and not here, as they apply to multiple mu commands. -m, --maildir=<maildir> starts searching at <maildir>. By default, mu uses whatever the MAILDIR environment variable is set to; if it is not set, it tries ~/Maildir. See the note on mixing sub-maildirs below. --reindex re-index all mails, even ones that are already in the database. --nocleanup disables the database cleanup that mu does by default after indexing. --rebuild clear all messages from the database before indexing. This is effectively the same as removing the database. The difference with --reindex is that --rebuild guarantees that after the indexing has finished, there are no 'old' messages in the database anymore, which is not true with --reindex when indexing only a part of messages (using --maildir). For this reason, it is necessary to run mu index --rebuild when there is an upgrade in the database format. mu index will issue a warning about this. --autoupgrade automatically use -y, --empty when mu notices that the database version is not up-to-date. This option is for use in cron scripts and the like, so they won't require any user interaction, even when mu introduces a new database version. --xbatchsize=<batch size> set the maximum number of messages to process in a single Xapian transaction. In practice, this option is only useful if you find that mu is running out of memory while indexing; in that case, you can set the batch size to (for example) 1000, which will reduce memory consumption, but also substantially reduce the indexing performance. --max-msg-size=<max msg size> set the maximum size (in bytes) for messages. The default maximum (currently at 50Mb) should be enough in most cases, but if you encounter warnings from mu about ignoring messsage because they are too big, you may want to increase this. Note that the reason for having a maximum size is that big message require big memory allocations, which may lead to problems. NOTE: It is not recommended tot mix maildirs and sub-maildirs within the hierarchy in the same database; for example, it's better not to index both with --maildir=~/MyMaildir and --maildir=~/MyMaildir/foo, as this may lead to unexpected results when searching with the the 'maildir:' search parameter (see below). A note on performance As a non-scientific benchmark, a simple test on the authors machine (a Thinkpad X61s laptop using Linux 2.6.35 and an ext3 file system) with no existing database, and a maildir with 27273 messages: $ sudo sh -c 'sync && echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches' $ time mu index --quiet 66,65s user 6,05s system 27% cpu 4:24,20 total (about 103 messages per second) A second run, which is the more typical use case when there is a database already, goes much faster: $ sudo sh -c 'sync && echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches' $ time mu index --quiet 0,48s user 0,76s system 10% cpu 11,796 total (more than 2300 messages per second) Note that each of test flushes the caches first; a more common use case might be to run mu index when new mail has arrived; the cache may stay quite 'warm' in that case: $ time mu index --quiet 0,33s user 0,40s system 80% cpu 0,905 total which is more than 30000 messages per second. In general, mu has been getting faster with each release, even with relatively expensive new features such as text-normalization (for case- insensitve/accent-insensitive matching). The profiles are dominated by operations in the Xapian database now. FILES
By default, mu index stores its message database in ~/.mu/xapian; the database has an embedded version number, and mu will automatically update it when it notices a different version. This allows for automatic updating of mu-versions, without the need to clear out any old databases. However, note that versions of mu before 0.7 used a different scheme, which put the database in ~/.mu/xapian-<version>. These older data- bases can safely be deleted. Starting from version 0.7, this manual cleanup should no longer be needed. mu stores logs of its operations and queries in <muhome>/mu.log (by default, this is ~/.mu/mu.log). Upon startup, mu checks the size of this log file. If it exceeds 1 MB, it will be moved to ~/.mu/mu.log.old, overwriting any existing file of that name, and start with an empty log file. This scheme allows for continued use of mu without the need for any manual maintenance of log files. ENVIRONMENT
mu index uses MAILDIR to find the user's Maildir if it has not been specified explicitly with --maildir=<maildir>. If MAILDIR is not set, mu index will try ~/Maildir. RETURN VALUE
mu index return 0 upon successful completion, and any other number greater than 2 signals an error, for example: | code | meaning | |------+--------------------------------| | 0 | ok | | 1 | general error | | 3 | could not obtain db write lock | | 4 | database is corrupted | BUGS
Please report bugs if you find them: http://code.google.com/p/mu0/issues/list AUTHOR
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema <djcb@djcbsoftware.nl> SEE ALSO
maildir(5) mu(1) mu-find(1) User Manuals May 2011 MU-INDEX(1)