Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find and Rename files using (find mv and sed) Post 302461952 by rupert160 on Tuesday 12th of October 2010 08:38:43 PM
Old 10-12-2010
Find and Rename files using (find mv and sed)

In response to a closed thread for degraff63 at
https://www.unix.com/shell-programmin...find-exec.html

the following command
might do it as some shells spit it without the "exec bash -c " part:
Code:
Find . -name "*.model" -exec bash -c "mv {} \`echo {} | sed -e  's/[^A-Za-z0-9_./]/_/g'\`" \;

the earlier command he wrote was.
Code:
Find . -name "*.model" -exec mv "{}" `echo "{}" | sed 's/[^A-Za-z0-9_./]/_/g'` \;

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 10-13-2010 at 04:45 AM.. Reason: url tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files older than 20 days & not use find

I need to find files that have the ending of .out and that are older than 20 days. However, I cannot use find as I do not want to search in the directories that are underneath the directory that I am searching in. How can this be done?? Find returns files that I do not want. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: halo98
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find, Append, Move & Rename Multiple Files

Using a bash script, I need to find all files in a folder "except" the newest file. Then I need to insert the contents of one text file into all the files found. This text needs to be placed at the beginning of each file and needs a blank line between it and the current contents of the file. Then I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trapper
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Little bit weired : Find files in UNIX w/o using find or where command

Yes , I have to find a file in unix without using any find or where commands.Any pointers for the same would be very helpful as i am beginner in shell scritping and need a solution for the same. Thanks in advance. Regards Jatin Jain (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatin.jain
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and rename

Hi, I was wondering if there is a way to find a particular file and then give it as an input to a program and then dump it into another file. Something like this: find ./ -name '*.txt' -exec ~/processText {} > mod.<current_file> \; I've been trying all sorts of weird things but not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find last updated files and rename

HI I have a requirement to find the last updated files from a directory whcih has subdirectories and inside them we have files with .txt,.doc,.xls .. extensions. i have to find those files which were updated in the last 1hr and rename the files with respective <sub-directory>_<filename> and copy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramse8pc
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or sed to find specific column from different files

Hi everybody, I have a folder with many files: Files with 8 columns: X 123 A B C D E F And files with 7 columns: X1234 A B C D E F I am trying to find a way to extract the 5th column when the files have eight columns, or the 4th column when the files have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tzole
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find Search - Find files not matching a pattern

Hello all, this is my first and probably not my last question around here. I do hope you can help or at least point me in the right direction. My question is as follows, I need to find files and possible folders which are not owner = AAA group = BBB with a said location and all sub folders ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kilobyter
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to rename lots of files with find?

Can someone help me with this script. I have a bunch of files like this: "2209OS_02_Code" "2209OS_03_Code" "2209OS_04_Code" "2209OS_05_Code" "2209OS_06_Code" "2209OS_07_Code" "2209OS_08_Code" "2209OS_09_Code" "2209OS_10_Code" "2209OS_10_video" and I want to rename them to be like this: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to find and rename files

but it's not working. Hello all. I'm running the following command to find files with a specific name and rename them, but the command prompt returns a short 10 seconds after executing and doesn't find or rename anything. What am I doing wrong here? find . -type f | for file in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use find with cp and sed in ksh to copy files to a slightly different location

Hello there wonderful people, I am running on Solaris 10 and with the following ksh version: strings /bin/ksh | grep Version | tail -2 @(#)Version M-11/16/88i Suppose I want to copy files that end in _v2 from underneath /dir1/dir2/save directory to /dir1/dir2. Basically, what I’m... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
12 Replies
EXEC(P) 						     POSIX Programmer's Manual							   EXEC(P)

NAME
exec - execute commands and open, close, or copy file descriptors SYNOPSIS
exec [command [argument ...]] DESCRIPTION
The exec utility shall open, close, and/or copy file descriptors as specified by any redirections as part of the command. If exec is specified without command or arguments, and any file descriptors with numbers greater than 2 are opened with associated redi- rection statements, it is unspecified whether those file descriptors remain open when the shell invokes another utility. Scripts concerned that child shells could misuse open file descriptors can always close them explicitly, as shown in one of the following examples. If exec is specified with command, it shall replace the shell with command without creating a new process. If arguments are specified, they shall be arguments to command. Redirection affects the current shell execution environment. OPTIONS
None. OPERANDS
See the DESCRIPTION. STDIN
Not used. INPUT FILES
None. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
None. ASYNCHRONOUS EVENTS
Default. STDOUT
Not used. STDERR
The standard error shall be used only for diagnostic messages. OUTPUT FILES
None. EXTENDED DESCRIPTION
None. EXIT STATUS
If command is specified, exec shall not return to the shell; rather, the exit status of the process shall be the exit status of the program implementing command, which overlaid the shell. If command is not found, the exit status shall be 127. If command is found, but it is not an executable utility, the exit status shall be 126. If a redirection error occurs (see Consequences of Shell Errors ), the shell shall exit with a value in the range 1-125. Otherwise, exec shall return a zero exit status. CONSEQUENCES OF ERRORS
Default. The following sections are informative. APPLICATION USAGE
None. EXAMPLES
Open readfile as file descriptor 3 for reading: exec 3< readfile Open writefile as file descriptor 4 for writing: exec 4> writefile Make file descriptor 5 a copy of file descriptor 0: exec 5<&0 Close file descriptor 3: exec 3<&- Cat the file maggie by replacing the current shell with the cat utility: exec cat maggie RATIONALE
Most historical implementations were not conformant in that: foo=bar exec cmd did not pass foo to cmd. FUTURE DIRECTIONS
None. SEE ALSO
Special Built-In Utilities COPYRIGHT
Portions of this text are reprinted and reproduced in electronic form from IEEE Std 1003.1, 2003 Edition, Standard for Information Technol- ogy -- Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX), The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 6, Copyright (C) 2001-2003 by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc and The Open Group. In the event of any discrepancy between this version and the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard, the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard is the referee document. The original Standard can be obtained online at http://www.opengroup.org/unix/online.html . IEEE
/The Open Group 2003 EXEC(P)