Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Using tee
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using tee Post 302461329 by kristinu on Sunday 10th of October 2010 10:46:16 AM
Old 10-10-2010
Using tee

I have been using the command tee to store the output to a file and also write on the terminal. However I would need to put the program in the background although I would still need to see the file being updated like it was doing when using tee.

Any suggestions on how to look at the log file whilst it's being updated?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tee problem

Hi you, This the code I have: function show_menu { echo " lalalalal" echo " 1. ...." echo " 2. ...." echo " 3. exit" read choice case $choice in 1) ... ;; 2) ...;; *) stop=1;; esac } (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bensky
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does tee work

Greetings to everybody. I would like to know if I can use the pipe and command tee to read from edited file and to write to him e.g. "sed '{s_A_B_}' file | tee file". :confused: I know it doesn't work with > but I don't know anything about it with tee. Thank you for your help. :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Foxgard
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tee

hello how to append the hostname to each line of a file that is tee'd for example: tail -f file1 | tee file2 Iwant file2 to have the same new lines of file1 but with the hostname at the end or the beginning of each line. btw, is there more proper method than: tail -f file1 | tee... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing tee

Hi, I have a script where i want to log in details to the standard output as well as log file so that its easy for tracing purposes. I have used the "tee"command. The problem with this is my scripts lines are getting longer as for each line i have #!/bin/ksh echo "hello world" |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tee

Someone recently advised me to use the tee command to write to standard out. Why would you pipe your commands to tee -a <filename> rather than just using >> <filename> ? For example: date|tee -a myfile seems to be the same as date >> myfile Is there a benefit to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fracken_toaster
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tee command within variable

Hello If anybody knows something about the following please help me. I am using HP unix. In a script called test.txt i have the following command echo ok | tee test1.txt It works fine.It prints ok on the screen and creates the file test1.txt and puts in the file the "ok". In the same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kostasch
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tee + more command

script1: #!/bin/ksh more test.txt script2: calling the script1 #!/bin/ksh /tmp/script1.sh 2>&1 | tee tee.log where test.txt contains ~1200 lines. When I execute the script2 the more command does not print pagewise it goes to the end of the line, when I remove the tee command it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasad111
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tee and functions

Greetings! My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere before. What I have is a function (as below) set up to append to either an error log or info log based upon input. myLOGGER () { if ]; then logfile=$elog lastERROR="$1" #used elsewhere in my script else... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reid
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with tee command

In the current directory , I have seven files . But when I use the following command , it lists eight files ( 7 files + file_list.xtx) ls -1 | tee file_list.xtx | while read line; do echo $line ; done Does the tee command create the file_list.xtx file first and then executes the ls -1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mindboggling difference between using "tee" and "/usr/bin/tee" in bash

I'm on Ubuntu 14.04 and I manually updated my coreutils so that "tee" is now on version 8.27 I was running a script using bash where there is some write to pipe error at some point causing the tee command to exit abruptly while the script continues to run. The newer version of tee seems to prevent... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stompadon
2 Replies
TEE(1)								   User Commands							    TEE(1)

NAME
tee - read from standard input and write to standard output and files SYNOPSIS
tee [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Copy standard input to each FILE, and also to standard output. -a, --append append to the given FILEs, do not overwrite -i, --ignore-interrupts ignore interrupt signals --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit If a FILE is -, copy again to standard output. AUTHOR
Written by Mike Parker, Richard M. Stallman, and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report tee bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report tee translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for tee is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and tee programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'tee invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.12.197-032bb September 2011 TEE(1)