Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to extract files from a tar file without creating the directories? Post 302461022 by gkb on Friday 8th of October 2010 08:31:39 AM
Old 10-08-2010
Thanks for all of the replies.

Perhaps this problem can be approached from a different angle.

Is there a way to use the cp command on solaris to take all of the files in the directories, and to copy them all to one directory?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cant extract files from a tar file

hi everyone i have a tar file which was in AIX box. its 300mb. i cant untar in windowsxp home. I just get an empty folder with no files when i extract. i dont get any bad header or any such error. i am using IZARC which is a freeware. Not sure if i should try winzip or winrar. any help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bryan
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract tar files without creating directory

I received a tar file of a directory with 50,000 files in it. Is it possible to extract the files in the tar file without first creating the directory? ie. Doing tar -xvf filename.tar extracts as follows: x directory/file1.txt x directory/file2.txt . . . I would like to avoid... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: here2learn
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract one file form .tar.gz without uncompressing .tar.gz file

hi all, kindly help me how to extract one file form .tar.gz without uncompressing .tar.gz file. thanks in advance bali (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balireddy_77
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a Tar file while files are spooling

Hi I have done a search for this but couldn't find much on it. I am creating a tar file with the command below tar cvf /export/home/user/backup/*Will this is being created I have a job spooling to 5 texts files in the following directory /export/home/user/backup/STATS/ The tar files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sgarvan
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tar creating copies of files

I am trying to archive directories based on their last modified date. When I tar and compress the directory it makes copies of whats inside, I don't know how to fix this. Here is my code. #!/bin/bash #AUTODRUNDISABLE VERSION="0.2" cd /desired/directory/to/archive find . -type d -newermt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrymer
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Do I need to extract the entire tar file to confirm the tar folder is fine?

I would like to confirm my file.tar is been tar-ed correctly before I remove them. But I have very limited disc space to untar it. Can I just do the listing instead of actual extract it? Can I say confirm folder integrity if the listing is sucessful without problem? tar tvf file1.tar ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivien_chu
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving and moving files into directories, creating directories, etc.

how can i move "dataName".sql.gz into a folder called 'database' and then move "$fileName".tar.gz * .htaccess into a folder called 'www' with the entire gzipped file being "$fileName".tar.gz? Is this doable or overly complex. so mydemo--2015-03-23-1500.tar.gz > database -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wyclef
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a tar ball into multiple directories

#cat a BAC064DAL BAC063DAL BAC056PHX BAC066DAL BAC062PHX BAC062DAL BAC060DAL BAC058PHX BAC054PHX BAC051PHX # for i in `cat a` > do > tar xvf $a/$a*.tar* > done tar: /*.tar*: Cannot open: No such file or directory tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now tar: /*.tar*: Cannot... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tar extract a multiple directories

i extract it through script, is there any way to script or automate to tar extract a tarfiles in multiple directories at once? Cannot open: No such file or directory tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now for dir in `ls -d /tarfiles/*/ | sed 's/.$//'` do rm -f $dir/*.tar mv -f... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem creating a tar ball in different directories

Hi all. I'm hitting a problem creating a tar archive in one directory from files located in a different directory. It fails when I replace the absolute paths with variables in the script but works if I just run tar on the cmdln. E.g. #!/bin/ksh BASE=$PWD STAGE=$BASE/stage LOG=$BASE/log... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
4 Replies
TAR(1)							      General Commands Manual							    TAR(1)

NAME
tar - archiver SYNOPSIS
tar key [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Tar saves and restores file trees. It is most often used to transport a tree of files from one system to another. The key is a string that contains at most one function letter plus optional modifiers. Other arguments to the command are names of files or directories to be dumped or restored. A directory name implies all the contained files and subdirectories (recursively). The function is one of the following letters: c Create a new archive with the given files as contents. x Extract the named files from the archive. If a file is a directory, the directory is extracted recursively. Modes are restored if possible. If no file argument is given, extract the entire archive. If the archive contains multiple entries for a file, the lat- est one wins. t List all occurrences of each file in the archive, or of all files if there are no file arguments. r The named files are appended to the archive. The modifiers are: v (verbose) Print the name of each file treated preceded by the function letter. With t, give more details about the archive entries. f Use the next argument as the name of the archive instead of the default standard input (for keys x and t) or standard output (for keys c and r). u Use the next (numeric) argument as the user id for files in the output archive. This is only useful when moving files to a non-Plan 9 system. g Use the next (numeric) argument as the group id for files in the output archive. EXAMPLES
Tar can be used to copy hierarchies thus: {cd fromdir; tar c .} | {cd todir; tar x} SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/tar.c SEE ALSO
ar(1), bundle(1), tapefs(1) BUGS
There is no way to ask for any but the last occurrence of a file. File path names are limited to 100 characters. The tar format allows specification of links and symbolic links, concepts foreign to Plan 9: they are ignored. TAR(1)