Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Before I delete any file in Unix, How can I check no open file handle is pointing to that file? Post 302459831 by kchinnam on Tuesday 5th of October 2010 12:45:49 PM
Old 10-05-2010
Quote:
Nothing bad happens if you delete a file in use.
My observation is different. If we delete "catalina.out" from a tomcat web server logs folder. Tomcat would not create another log,, until we restart tomcat. Where as other applications do create a new log file.

I am trying to find a safe way to do a generic log file rotation including logs like "catalina.out". Also try to know if a file is being actively used or not to make a better decision before log/file rotation.

When I query using lsof I get this -->
Quote:
> lsof ../jakarta/logs/catalina.out
COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
java 1162 <UID> 1w VREG 314,7 1284251 19505649 ../jakarta/logs/catalina.out
java 1162 <UID> 2w VREG 314,7 1284251 19505649 ../jakarta/logs/catalina.out
What is the meaning of FD --> 1w 2w ?

2. What is the difference between 1w, 2w(in lsof output) Vs <PID>o (o in fuser output) ?

Quote:
> fuser -fu ../jakarta/logs/catalina.out
../jakarta/logs/catalina.out: 13601o(<userid>)

Last edited by kchinnam; 10-05-2010 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: masking secure info

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Error Message: find: cannot open /: Stale NFS file handle

I am using the "find" command below and it respond with the error message " find: cannot open /: Stale NFS file handle" what does it mean? what can I do about it? Need advice, thanks. below are the command that I enter, the respond and the error message: root@ScripServer:/# find / -name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ezsurf
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete open file

hi, I have a little problem. I deleted a file, which was opened in vim editor. it was bad idea... now "df" still display same space. I kill process vim, but maybe file was controlled or opened by another application. Is any eventuallity to find which process has lock file? Command "ps -ax"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: delonism
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unable to delete an open file

I am working on a unix server. I killed all the processes with my id on the machine. After that I tried to delete a file, I got an error:- file not removed.Text File busy. Deletion of directory prompted:- Directory not empty. Can anyone help me regarding this...??? Thanks, Vikas (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikasrout
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

avoid open file to check field.

Hi Everyone, # cat a.txt 94,aqqc,62345907, 5,aeec,77, # cat 1.pl #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; use Date::Manip; open(my $FA, "/root/a.txt") or die "$!"; while(<$FA>) { chomp; my @tmp=split(/\,/, $_); if (index($tmp, "qq") ne -1) { ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to open a file and read a file in UNIX

HI can any one tell me how to open and read a file in UNIX actually i have the following script can you please suggest me on this.. LOG,">$log" or NotifyAdmin "Failed to open file $log";... this is the perl statement.. which opens log file. i want to open same log file in unix Thanks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravan008
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need unix commands to delete records from one file if the same record present in another file...

Need unix commands to delete records from one file if the same record present in another file... just like join ... if the record present in both files.. delete from first file or delete the particular record and write the unmatched records to new file.. tried with grep and while... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: msathees
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check file presence and delete other file

Hello, I have file all_file.txt at the end of process this file all_file.txt should be deleted only if there is no file present in dir /all_file/tmp/ or in it's sub directory. can you please help me with the peace of code for this. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar30213
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX command to check if file name ends with .tar OR if the file is a tar file

Hello Team, Would you please help me with a UNIX command that would check if file is a tar file. if we dont have that , can you help me with UNIX command that would check if file ends with .tar Thanks in advance. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaydubey2006
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check if a file is open and in use (logs are being written to it)

Hello Experts, I need to write a shell script to check if a file is open and something is being written to it. I want to know how OS handles it. I checked with lsof command but it is not working. For a test I did this. while true; do echo `date` >>abc.txt; done then I checked lsof |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_4_u
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to check if a file is open in editor?

Hi there! I'm developing a program that allows the user to open and edit files using both an editor and the terminal. Once the user has finished editing the file an update is sent to the logbook that compares the file before and after it was edited - this can only be done if the file is closed (I... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: cherryTango
23 Replies
NUXWDOG(1)							     PKI Tools								NUXWDOG(1)

NAME
nuxwdog - Provides a simple watchdog process that can be used to start, stop, monitor, or reconfigure a server process. SYNOPSIS
nuxwdog -f configuration_file [-i] DESCRIPTION
nuxwdog is a watchdog daemon that builds on the uxwdog service that is part of the Netscape Enterprise Server (NES). nuxwdog can start, stop, monitor, and reconfigure server programs, depending on the parameters passed to it in its configuration file. nuxwdog opens a Unix domain socket to accept requests from any server process it is managing. Optionally, nuxwdog can be configured to communicate only with clients that are descendants of the nuxwdog process, limiting an avenue of potential access to any servers managed by the watchdog. Some servers require a high-level of security to protect their data or operations, which means (for example) that they cannot store plaintext passwords in a password file to allow the server to be started automatically. nuxwdog can be configured to prompt for server passwords when a server first starts and then caches those passwords so that nuxwdog can restart the server without intervention if the server crashes. To make it easy for clients to communicate with nuxwdog, a C/C++ shared library is provided with the nuxwdog source code (libnuxwdog.so). Additionally, nuxwdog provides JNI interfaces and Perl bindings to the libnuxwdog.so library, so that calls can be made from Java and Perl programs. For more information on this library and the client interfaces, see https://fedorahosted.org/nuxwdog/wiki/HOWTO. nuxwdog is used by Dogtag PKI to monitor and manage the subsystem server processes for Java, Tomcat, and Apache servers. OPTIONS
-f configuration_file Passes the configuration file for the service which runs the subsystem. With Dogtag PKI. For the CA, OCSP, TKS, and DRM, this is for the Java process. For the TPS, this is for the Apache process. -i Runs the nuxwdog process in interactive mode and keeps nuxwdog open in the foreground instead of running it as a daemon in the background. CONFIGURATION FILE PARAMETERS AND EXAMPLES
ExeFile Gives the full path to the executable to be started. ExeArgs Passes any arguments to the executable. The first argument must be the full path to the executable (the same as the value in ExeFile). TmpDir Gives the full path to the executable to be started. ChildSecurity Sets whether the child server process should only allow requests from a parent (where nuxwdog is the parent). nuxwdog checks the process ID for any client which sends a request to the Unix domain socket and drops any message where the client is not a descendant of the nuxwdog process. To allow any request, set this to 0; to allow only parent or ancestor requests, sets this to 1. ExeOut Gives the file to write stdout for the server to be started. ExeErr Gives the file to write stderr for the server to be started. ExeBackground Sets whether to run the server and the nuxwdog processes in the background in daemon mode after the watchdog is initialized. Setting this to 1 enables daemon mode, while 0 keeps this in the foreground. PidFile Gives the PID file to use to store the nuxwdog PID. ChildPidFile Gives the PID file to use to store the PID of the server process managed by nuxwdog. ExeContext Sets the SELinux context in which to start the server process. nuxwdog can be used to manage many types of server processes. For Dogtag PKI, it manages Java, Tomcat, and Apache servers. For the Dogtag PKI Certificate Authority, a Java-based subsystem with a Tomcat web service, the configuration file identifies the appropriate JRE and class paths, along with setting the output, error, and PID files. (The ExeArgs argument should be all on one line.) ExeFile /usr/lib/jvm/jre/bin/java ExeArgs /usr/lib/jvm/jre/bin/java -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/share/tomcat5/common/endorsed -classpath :/usr/lib/jvm/jre/lib/rt.jar :/usr/share/java/commons-collections.jar :/usr/share/tomcat5/bin/bootstrap.jar :/usr/share/tomcat5/bin/commons-logging-api.jar :/usr/share/java/mx4j/mx4j-impl.jar :/usr/share/java/mx4j/mx4j-jmx.jar :/usr/share/tomcat5/common/lib/nuxwdog.jar -Dcatalina.base=/var/lib/pki-ca2 -Dcatalina.home=/usr/share/tomcat5 -Djava.io.tmpdir=/usr/share/tomcat5/temp org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start TmpDir /var/lib/pki-ca2/logs/pids ChildSecurity 1 ExeOut /var/lib/pki-ca2/logs/catalina.out ExeErr /var/lib/pki-ca2/logs/catalina.out ExeBackground 1 PidFile /var/lib/pki-ca2/logs/wd-pki-ca2.pid ChildPidFile /var/run/pki-ca2.pid For Dogtag PKI, the Token (smart card) Processing System uses an Apache-based server. This example also sets the SELinux context, pki_tps_t, used by the TPS subsystem processes. ExeFile /usr/sbin/httpd.worker ExeArgs /usr/sbin/httpd.worker -f /etc/pki-tps1/httpd.conf TmpDir /var/lib/pki-tps1/logs/pids PidFile /var/lib/pki-tps1/logs/wd-pki-tps1.pid ExeContext pki_tps_t ADDITIONAL RESOURCES
There is a more detailed how-to article, including information on available client calls for nuxwdog, at https://fedorahosted.org/nuxwdog/wiki/HOWTO. The nuxwdog server works in conjunction with the Dogtag PKI subsystems. The Dogtag PKI project wiki is at http://pki.fedoraproject.org/wiki/. For information specifically about nuxwdog, the nuxwdog project wiki is located at https://fedorahosted.org/nuxwdog/wiki/[1]. The nuxwdog relates directly to nuxwdog code changes and releases, rather than all PKI-related updates. Mailing lists: pki-devel@redhat.com and pki-users@redhat.com IRC: Freenode at #dogtag-pki AUTHORS
The PKI tools were written and maintained by developers with Netscape and now with Red Hat. Authors: Ade Lee <alee@redhat.com>, Deon Lackey <dlackey@redhat.com>. COPYRIGHT
(c) 2010, Red Hat, Inc. Licensed under the GNU Public License version 2. NOTES
1. https://fedorahosted.org/nuxwdog/wiki/ https://fedorahosted.org/nuxwdog/wiki nuxwdog 1 November 29, 2010 NUXWDOG(1)