Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Question/review my script: removing bad chars from filenames Post 302459137 by agama on Sunday 3rd of October 2010 10:13:16 PM
Old 10-03-2010
This sed works for me to remove all of the 'special' characters including both open/close square braces and the single quote, all in a single sed substitute statement:

Code:
sed 's/[]['\''"!@#$%^&*()`~[:cntrl:][:space:]\t]//g'

By placing the close square bracket immediately following the open character class, it is not interpreted as the end of the character class.

Using the '\'' construct you can "insert" a single quote into the class.

I don't know if I picked up all of the specials that you wish to remove, but you should be able to add what ever I missed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing the extension from all filenames in a folder

Hi there, I'm pretty new to UNIX and have tried trawling through this forum to find an answer to what I want to try to do, which I'm sure is very simple but I don't know how to do it. What I have a a folder that contains multiple files that I have copied from Windows and I want to remove the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnmcclintock
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing non-printable chars from multiple files

How do I remove non-printable characters from all txt files and output the results to one file? I've tried the following: tr -cd '\n' < *.txt > out.txt and it gives ambiguous redirect error. How can I get it to operate on all txt files in the current directory and append the output to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: revax
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED: Removing Filenames From Paths

I'm using a script with a lot of SED commands, in conjunction with grep, cut, etc. I've come up against a wall with a particular road block: I output a file from an SVN registry that gives me a list of files. The list consists of a variable number of lines that contain a path/file. The paths... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brusimm
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing spaces in filenames

I have a problem mounting images because of the spaces in the filenames. Does anyone know how to rename files by removing the spaces with the find command? find Desktop/$dir -name "*.dmg" -print -exec ??? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ianebaj
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing file with bad characters

I have the following files in the same directory but if you look at the od output you can see one of the files has and "\n" as part of the file name. Is there a way I can only remove the file with the "\n" as part of the file name without affecting the other file. I was thinking about... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing unknow chars from file names.

I'm trying to move a large folder to an external drive but some files have these weird chars that the external drive won't accept. Does anyone know any command of any bash script that will look through a given folder and remove any weird chars? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joktaa
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing rows and chars from text file

Dear community, maybe I'm asking the moon :rolleyes:, but I'm scratching my head to find a solution for it. :wall: I have a file called query.out (coming from Oracle query), the file is like this: ADDR TOTAL -------------------- ---------- TGROUPAGGR... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
16 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Removing special chars from file and maintain field separator

Running SunOs 5.6. Solaris. I've been able to remove all special characters from a fixed length file which appear in the first column but as a result all subsequent columns have shifted to the left by the amount of characters deleted. It is a space separated file. Line 1 in input file is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: iffy290
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Change encoding, no removing special chars. inconv

Hi all, I'm using iconv command to change files encoding to UTF-8 If my input file has chars as those are removed creating the file without those special chars. I tried using iconv -c, but there is still the removal. Is there a way to keep those special chars changing just the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrreds
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script to split data with a delimiter having chars and special chars

Hi Team, I have a file a1.txt with data as follows. dfjakjf...asdfkasj</EnableQuotedIDs><SQL><SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! The delimiter string: <SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! dlm="<SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! The above command is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
7 Replies
WILDMAT(3)						     Library Functions Manual							WILDMAT(3)

NAME
wildmat - perform shell-style wildcard matching SYNOPSIS
int wildmat(text, pattern) char *text; char *pattern; DESCRIPTION
Wildmat is part of libinn (3). Wildmat compares the text against the pattern and returns non-zero if the pattern matches the text. The pattern is interpreted according to rules similar to shell filename wildcards, and not as a full regular expression such as those handled by the grep(1) family of programs or the regex(3) or regexp(3) set of routines. The pattern is interpreted as follows: x Turns off the special meaning of x and matches it directly; this is used mostly before a question mark or asterisk, and is not spe- cial inside square brackets. ? Matches any single character. * Matches any sequence of zero or more characters. [x...y] Matches any single character specified by the set x...y. A minus sign may be used to indicate a range of characters. That is, [0-5abc] is a shorthand for [012345abc]. More than one range may appear inside a character set; [0-9a-zA-Z._] matches almost all of the legal characters for a host name. The close bracket, ], may be used if it is the first character in the set. The minus sign, -, may be used if it is either the first or last character in the set. [^x...y] This matches any character not in the set x...y, which is interpreted as described above. For example, [^]-] matches any character other than a close bracket or minus sign. HISTORY
Written by Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> in 1986, and posted to Usenet several times since then, most notably in comp.sources.misc in March, 1991. Lars Mathiesen <thorinn@diku.dk> enhanced the multi-asterisk failure mode in early 1991. Rich and Lars increased the efficiency of star patterns and reposted it to comp.sources.misc in April, 1991. Robert Elz <kre@munnari.oz.au> added minus sign and close bracket handling in June, 1991. This is revision 1.10, dated 1992/04/03. SEE ALSO
grep(1), regex(3), regexp(3). WILDMAT(3)