Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers "vi" text editor character encoding? Post 302458948 by Corona688 on Saturday 2nd of October 2010 06:43:18 PM
Old 10-02-2010
Quote:
When I run pico (nano)
pico is not nano, just looks like it. nano's actually a quite new editor, probably why UTF8 seems to work for you in it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Encoding Problem while using "|" (PIPE) as delimiter from Mainframe to Unix

We are facing a problem with PIPE (|) as a delimiter in one of our FTP flat files. We are constructing a Flat file in IBM-AIX and this contains various strings delimted by PIPE Symbol and then FTPing this to a Mainframe System The Mainframe program simply recieves this and FTPs the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seshendra
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command Character size limit in the "sh" and "bourne" shell

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roshan1286
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending character "0" in vi editor for all lines between 1 and 40.

I have to append character "0" for lines between 1 and 40 in a file. I tried the following code. :s/^0,1,40/g Input: Output: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a "|" character for a text file

Dear Sir, I am having text file with no delimiter like below RAGAV S S 12358 SALES EXECUTIVE 25000 RAJU R B 64253 SALES EXECUTIVE 28000 RUKMAN S 32588 SALES EXECUTIVE 40000 NARGUND S S 12356 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to find text between a "string " and character ","

Hello everyone Sorry I have to add another sed question. I am searching a log file and need only the first 2 occurances of text which comes after (note the space) "string " and before a ",". I have tried sed -n 's/.*string \(*\),.*/\1/p' filewith some, but limited success. This gives out all... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: haggismn
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep : Filter/Move All The Lines Containing Not More Than One "X" Character Into A Text File

Hi All It's me again with another huge txt files. :confused: What I have: - I have 33 huge txt files in a folder. - I have thousands of line in this txt file which contain many the letter "x" in them. - Some of them have more than one "x" character in the line. What I want to achieve:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
EVIM(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   EVIM(1)

NAME
evim - easy Vim, edit a file with Vim and setup for modeless editing SYNOPSIS
evim [options] [file ..] eview DESCRIPTION
eVim starts Vim and sets options to make it behave like a modeless editor. This is still Vim but used as a point-and-click editor. This feels a lot like using Notepad on MS-Windows. eVim will always run in the GUI, to enable the use of menus and toolbar. Only to be used for people who really can't work with Vim in the normal way. Editing will be much less efficient. eview is the same, but starts in read-only mode. It works just like evim -R. See vim(1) for details about Vim, options, etc. The 'insertmode' option is set to be able to type text directly. Mappings are setup to make Copy and Paste work with the MS-Windows keys. CTRL-X cuts text, CTRL-C copies text and CTRL-V pastes text. Use CTRL-Q to obtain the original meaning of CTRL-V. OPTIONS
See vim(1). FILES
/usr/share/vim/vim62/evim.vim The script loaded to initialize eVim. AKA
Also Known As "Vim for gumbies". When using evim you are expected to take a handkerchief, make a knot in each corner and wear it on your head. SEE ALSO
vim(1) AUTHOR
Most of Vim was made by Bram Moolenaar, with a lot of help from others. See the Help/Credits menu. 2002 February 16 EVIM(1)