Sponsored Content
Special Forums News, Links, Events and Announcements UNIX and Linux RSS News Some Amicus Briefs in Support of Microsoft in the i4i Case - Google's as text Post 302458591 by Linux Bot on Friday 1st of October 2010 07:30:02 AM
Old 10-01-2010
Some Amicus Briefs in Support of Microsoft in the i4i Case - Google's as text

Now I've seen everything. Wal-Mart is telling the US Supreme Court in an amicus brief that the US patent system is irrational and unfair. And it points the finger of blame straight at the Federal Circuit.
Can change in the patent system be far away *now*?
Seriously, Google, Verizon, Dell, HP, HTC, and Wal-Mart, if you can believe it, have together filed an amicus brief [PDF] in support of Microsoft's petition for writ of certiorari [PDF] in the i4i patent litigation case Microsoft lost both at the District Court level and on appeal to the Federal Circuit. HP and Dell submitted amicus briefs before in support of Microsoft, back when the case was being appealed to the Federal Circuit, but after Microsoft lost again there, the crowd in support has grown. And they all give the court an earful about just how messed up the patent system has become.
It's a new day, ladies and gentlemen, when Wal-Mart gets it that the patent system is destructive to business and destroying innovation. A number of others have also filed amicus briefs, including EFF together with the Apache Software Foundation, Public Knowledge, and the Computer & Communications Industry Association. You can find more amicus briefs in Nick Eaton's article in the San Francisco Chronicle, but I thought you'd particularly like to see the Google brief, so I've done it as text, because Google uses the same firm that represents them against Oracle in the patent litigation regarding Java and Android, King & Spalding.

More...

FINGER.CONF(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						    FINGER.CONF(5)

NAME
finger.conf -- finger(1) alias configuration file DESCRIPTION
The optional finger.conf file is used to provide aliases that can be fingered by local and network users. This may be useful where a user's login name is not the same as their preferred mail address, or for providing virtual login names than can be fingered. Lines beginning with ``#'' are comments. Other lines must consist of an alias name and a target name separated by a colon. A target name should be either a user, a forward reference to another alias or the path of a world readable file. Where an alias points to a file, the contents of that file will be displayed when the alias is fingered. FILES
/etc/finger.conf finger(1) alias definition data base EXAMPLES
# /etc/finger.conf alias definition file # # Format alias:(user|alias) # # Individual aliases # markk:mkn john.smith:dev329 john:dev329 sue:/etc/finger/sue.txt # # Network status message # status:/usr/local/etc/status.txt # # Administrative redirects # root:admin postmaster:admin abuse:admin # # For the time being, 'sod' is sysadmin. # admin:sod SEE ALSO
finger(1) HISTORY
Support for the finger.conf file was submitted by Mark Knight <markk@knigma.org> and first appeared in FreeBSD 4.2. BSD
August 16, 2000 BSD