Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shadow file password policy
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Shadow file password policy Post 302458539 by pinga123 on Friday 1st of October 2010 04:49:14 AM
Old 10-01-2010
Quote:
If the password field contains some string that is not a valid result of crypt(3), for instance ! or *, the user will not be able to use a
unix password to log in (but the user may log in the system by other means).
How would a locked user can able to login using other means?
are you referring to login by super user and issue su <locked username>?

---------- Post updated at 03:49 AM ---------- Previous update was at 03:30 AM ----------

P.S:
I would also like to know the GID range of my distribution .

I can find the UID range by examining UID of nobody user but how would i find the same for GID.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to append password in /etc/shadow file

Hi, I want to append password into /etc/shadow file using a shell script. My below script does add the users to both /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow but how can I add the hordcoded passwords to /etc/shadow file can some one help me ? # To add the groups into /etc/group file for a_user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: modgil
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shadow file after a password reset

hi, I had to reset a lost root password by editing the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files ( this is a xen vm file, so i mounted and chrooted the file ) after the reboot with an empty password on root , i have set a new password with passwd but it only changed the /etc/passwd file.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: progressdll
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Password Recovery From /etc/shadow file

Is it possible to reset a normal user password , by editing password field in /etc/shadow file? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksvaisakh
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Password policy problem ??

Hi Solaris's expert I need to change user password on Solaris10 2 servers. With the same password I can change it just only one. Try to check everything but not found difference?? password pattern: abcdeFgh9Jk server1 check all characters but server2 check only first 8 characters.Why??... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arm_naja
10 Replies

5. Red Hat

NIS password policy

Hi, I am running NIS server on redhat linux 5 and I want to implement password restrictions for the yppasswd, how can I do it.Please help me. I can implement password restriction for passwd by configuring /etc/pam.d/system-auth and setting crack_lib.so but I don't know how to implent the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktrimu
3 Replies

6. Solaris

password policy for new user

hi folk, i try to setup a new password policy for our solaris box user, below are the /etc/default/passwd/, but then when i tried to create a user, it didn't ask for numeric character, and the new password also didn't ask for special characters. # useradd testing # passwd testing New... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dehetoxic
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove the non : characters after the password in shadow file?

On SPARC Solaris 10. I set the app account so it's expired. I also want it so not required to change password at first login, I can do this by removing the numbers after the password in /etc/shadow. example using user1 The /etc/shadow file looks like this: user1:kOmcVXAImRTAY:0::::90:: ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: TKD
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using the encrypted password of the shadow file

i have an application that uses the encrypted password that's in the /etc/shadow file. i copied the line for the particular username i was interested it in from shadow file and i pasted it into the password file of the application. the application is nagios. this application allowed that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Password Expiration Policy

Hello Team, I am using Lubuntu & have DRBL remote boot setup with open Ldap authentication. Currently there is no password expire policy. I want to set Password Policy so that user's password will expire after a month & they will get prompt to change their password. Using PAM we can do it,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paragnehete
1 Replies

10. AIX

Password Policy

I need help. I have set a password policy. But I want to dis allow setting user name as password. My policy is as below... min length =8 min diff=2 min alpha=2 max repeats=2 dictionary= /usr/share/dict/words Still user can set his username as password (i.e. Jackie1234). Code tags for... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: powerAIX
11 Replies
SHADOW(5)                                                  File Formats and Conversions                                                  SHADOW(5)

NAME
shadow - shadowed password file DESCRIPTION
shadow is a file which contains the password information for the system's accounts and optional aging information. This file must not be readable by regular users if password security is to be maintained. Each line of this file contains 9 fields, separated by colons (":"), in the following order: login name It must be a valid account name, which exist on the system. encrypted password Refer to crypt(3) for details on how this string is interpreted. If the password field contains some string that is not a valid result of crypt(3), for instance ! or *, the user will not be able to use a unix password to log in (but the user may log in the system by other means). This field may be empty, in which case no passwords are required to authenticate as the specified login name. However, some applications which read the /etc/shadow file may decide not to permit any access at all if the password field is empty. A password field which starts with an exclamation mark means that the password is locked. The remaining characters on the line represent the password field before the password was locked. date of last password change The date of the last password change, expressed as the number of days since Jan 1, 1970. The value 0 has a special meaning, which is that the user should change her password the next time she will log in the system. An empty field means that password aging features are disabled. minimum password age The minimum password age is the number of days the user will have to wait before she will be allowed to change her password again. An empty field and value 0 mean that there are no minimum password age. maximum password age The maximum password age is the number of days after which the user will have to change her password. After this number of days is elapsed, the password may still be valid. The user should be asked to change her password the next time she will log in. An empty field means that there are no maximum password age, no password warning period, and no password inactivity period (see below). If the maximum password age is lower than the minimum password age, the user cannot change her password. password warning period The number of days before a password is going to expire (see the maximum password age above) during which the user should be warned. An empty field and value 0 mean that there are no password warning period. password inactivity period The number of days after a password has expired (see the maximum password age above) during which the password should still be accepted (and the user should update her password during the next login). After expiration of the password and this expiration period is elapsed, no login is possible using the current user's password. The user should contact her administrator. An empty field means that there are no enforcement of an inactivity period. account expiration date The date of expiration of the account, expressed as the number of days since Jan 1, 1970. Note that an account expiration differs from a password expiration. In case of an account expiration, the user shall not be allowed to login. In case of a password expiration, the user is not allowed to login using her password. An empty field means that the account will never expire. The value 0 should not be used as it is interpreted as either an account with no expiration, or as an expiration on Jan 1, 1970. reserved field This field is reserved for future use. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow Secure user account information. /etc/shadow- Backup file for /etc/shadow. Note that this file is used by the tools of the shadow toolsuite, but not by all user and password management tools. SEE ALSO
chage(1), login(1), passwd(1), passwd(5), pwck(8), pwconv(8), pwunconv(8), su(1), sulogin(8). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 SHADOW(5)