Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Android Mini Review: Samsung Galaxy S (Android 2.1) v. Nokia E63 Post 302455902 by Neo on Thursday 23rd of September 2010 10:35:42 AM
Old 09-23-2010
I think I have wifi and gprs working ok now, after I installed a wifi switching app.

---------- Post updated 2010-09-23 at 01:44 ---------- Previous update was 2010-09-22 at 20:50 ----------

Update: Good news and bad news for GPS on the Galaxy S!

I found an app in the Android Market called Bluetooth GPS that works with the Samsung Galaxy S phone and my Holux M-241 works great, much more accurate (cannot compare) than the built-in Samsung GPS. There is a Google Map-type application in this app, but standard features like Directions and Layers are missing.

Unfortunately, the version of Google Maps that is installed on the Samsung Galaxy S phone does not have a configuration option to use an off-phone GPS device, so I still don't have navigation capabilities yet.

I'll search for another app or see if it is possible to install a different version of Google Maps for Android that is not crippled like the one that comes with the phone.

More to come ....

---------- Post updated at 02:30 ---------- Previous update was at 01:44 ----------

Found another app called Bluetooth GPS Mouse. With this program, Google Maps works very well. However, other GPS programs don't seem to work very well with this app. I sent an email off to their tech support to find out why.

---------- Post updated at 14:35 ---------- Previous update was at 02:30 ----------

Mini Review Update:

With the exception of the on-board GPS fiasco, the Samsung Galaxy S is a very fine phone. This is my first "iPhone-style" smart phone and I realize that I have much more in my hand than a phone. Basically, I'm walking around with a small Linux computer with an OS called Android that has an amazing UI enhanced by a Super AMOLED display.

With 10s of thousands of Android apps, this device is really more of a PDA or small tablet computer than a "smart phone" but I guess the term "PDA" is out of vogue and a 4" display cannot be called a "tablet".

I really like this phone. I really like Android. This is a revolution in personal computing that is just beginning. Never mind the on-board GPS is not very good. Never mind the SSH app is not yet great. This is only the beginning of a very exciting future in mobile computing!

Thanks for reading!

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Mini Review: SliceHost v. Linode Customer Service

This weekend I planned to set up two OpenX servers to serve some rotating images to the forums. First, I signed up with SliceHost. Working outside of the US, SliceHost naturally required some additional information. They emailed me with 15 minutes of signing up asking for more information to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
4 Replies

2. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Mini Review: SliceHost v. Linode Ubuntu 9.10 Setup

October 2010 Update: Linode Versus Slicehost – One Year Later A few days ago I posted Mini Review: SliceHost v. Linode Customer Service. At that time, I was going to cancel my account with Linode based on problems during the sign-up period. However, Linode asked me to give them another... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

3. Android

can I upgrade samsung galaxy SII to android 4

I am thinking of buying samsung galaxy S II. I would like to know, does this phone capable to support ICS ? Because I am not sure if to buy now and just upgrade the phone to then next OS or should I wait to but the next phone version? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: programAngel
3 Replies

4. BSD

Connecting a samsung galaxy siii to freebsd

I am connecting a samsung smartphone (galaxy s3) to a freebsd machine. It does not automatically mount. When plugging this machine in, the following message appears: ugen 7.2: <SAMSUNG> at usbus7 When disconnecting, the following message appears: ugen 7.2: <SAMSUNG> at usbus7 (disconnected)... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
13 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

My Experience: Samsung Galaxy Phones versus the iPhone6

Just a quick note and not really a detailed review of mobile phones.... I have been a Samsung Galaxy owner since the first Galaxy S came out on the market. On a daily basis I work on two MacBook Air computers; but I wanted the openness of an Android phone; so I bought the Galaxy S, Galaxy S2,... (3 Replies)
3 Replies
phones(4)							   File Formats 							 phones(4)

NAME
phones - remote host phone number database SYNOPSIS
/etc/phones DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/phones contains the system-wide private phone numbers for the tip(1) program. /etc/phones is normally unreadable, and so may contain privileged information. The format of /etc/phones is a series of lines of the form: <system-name>[ ]*<phone-number>. The system name is one of those defined in the remote(4) file and the phone number is constructed from [0123456789-=*%]. The `=' and `*' characters are indicators to the auto call units to pause and wait for a second dial tone (when going through an exchange). The `=' is required by the DF02-AC and the `*' is required by the BIZCOMP 1030. Comment lines are lines containing a `#' sign in the first column of the line. Only one phone number per line is permitted. However, if more than one line in the file contains the same system name tip(1) will attempt to dial each one in turn, until it establishes a connection. FILES
/etc/phones SEE ALSO
tip(1), remote(4) SunOS 5.11 14 Jan 1992 phones(4)