Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed - replacing on the right of a pattern and looking for exact word? Post 302450044 by rich@ardz on Wednesday 1st of September 2010 11:05:51 AM
Old 09-01-2010
Lightbulb sed - replacing on the right of a pattern and looking for exact word?

how would you get SED to do the following, say you have the following lines in a text file:

user=tigger
some text some text
some text some text
some text some text
user=ted
some text some text
some text some text
some text some text
user=thekingofrockandroll

you want to find any line which has 'user=[the user name]' and replace it with 'user=xxx'

so the string after the 'user=' will always contain a different number of characters but you just want to sed to find any lines with 'user=' and replace the part after 'user=' with 'xxx' no matter what?

and...

if what to replace say 'AM' in a text file with 'JO', i can do:

Code:
sed 's/AM/JO/g;s/am/jo/g'

but what if the text file where i'm running this looks like this:

AM
TAME
am
jammy

I only want to replace the following lines with 'JO':

AM
am

so I want to leave 'TAME' and 'jammy' in there - the sed above will give this:

JO
TJOE
jo
JJOMY

I want:

JO
TAME
jo
jammy

how do you achieve that with SED?

Cheers! Smilie

Last edited by rich@ardz; 09-01-2010 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: Code tags :)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a word after a matched pattern

Hello, Actually i want to replace the word after a matched pattern. For Ex: lets say that i am reading a file line by line while read line do echo $line # i need to search whether a pattern exists in the file and replace the word after if the pattern exist. # for example :... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maxmave
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED: delete and print the only exact matched pattern

I am really need help with the regular expression in SED. From input file, I need to extract lines that have the port number (sport or dport) as defined. The input file is something like this time=1209515280-1209515340 dst=192.168.133.202 src=208.70.8.23 bytes=2472 proto=6 sport=80 dport=1447... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: new_buddy
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed and replacing one occurence of pattern

I would like to use sed to replace one occurence of a pattern in a file. When I use the s/// command it replaces all occurences of the pattern in the file. Should I be using something other than sed? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss9u
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in sed command ( Replacing a pattern inside a file with a variable value )

Hello, The following sed command is giving error sed: -e expression #1, char 13: unknown option to `s' The sed command is echo "//-----" | sed "s/\/\/---*/$parChk/g" where parChk="//---ee-" How can i print the variable value from sed command ? And is it possible to replace a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing part of a pattern in sed

Hi I have a piece of xml that has a pattern like this <int>159</int><int>30</int> I want to find this pattern but only substitute the second part of the pattern to {rid1}. Is that possible in sed ? Thanks. ---------- Post updated at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:01 PM... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnn
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to exact matching a word in free BSD

Hi, Thanks for looking at this issue. I have many words/lines in a files like below apple pine apple custored apple apple apple if i want to replace only/exact apple occurrences with XXX i could use below, sed 's/\<apple\>/XXX/g' filename this is working in Linux, but now in my free BSD... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramanaraoeee
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find EXACT word in files, just the word: no prefix, no suffix, no 'similar', just the word

I have a file that has the words I want to find in other files (but lets say I just want to find my words in a single file). Those words are IDs, so if my word is ZZZ4, outputs like aaZZZ4, ZZZ4bb, aaZZZ4bb, ZZ4, ZZZ, ZyZ4, ZZZ4.8 (or anything like that) WON'T BE USEFUL. I need the whole word... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chicchan
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a particular word with another word in all the xml's under a particular directory with sed

Hi Folks, Could you please advise what will be the SED command to replace a word in all xml's under a particular directory for example let say I rite now at the following below location $ cd /ter/rap/config now under config directory there will be lots of xml file , now my objective is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: punpun66
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - Exact pattern matching and replace

Hi Team, I am facing a problem as under, Suppose I have a file (test.txt) with the below content (all braces and slashes are included in the contents of the file) Now I want to append few words below matched line, I have written the below sed: sed '/option/a insert text here' test... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankur328
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Getting error in sed command in replacing a word in all xmls

Hi Folks , I have to replace the following value in all the xml files so the value is tcp://pondevpms1.fm.rbsgrp.net:6033,pondevpms2.fm.rbsgrp.net:6033 and the value with it need to be replaces is shown below tcp://pondevpms1:3063 so i have fired the below command inside... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclesamm
3 Replies
NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)                                                                                                                NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)

NAME
npm-run-script - Run arbitrary package scripts SYNOPSIS
npm run-script <command> [--silent] [-- <args>...] alias: npm run DESCRIPTION
This runs an arbitrary command from a package's "scripts" object. If no "command" is provided, it will list the available scripts. run[-script] is used by the test, start, restart, and stop commands, but can be called directly, as well. When the scripts in the package are printed out, they're separated into lifecycle (test, start, restart) and directly-run scripts. As of ` https://blog.npmjs.org/post/98131109725/npm-2-0-0, you can use custom arguments when executing scripts. The special option -- is used by getopt https://goo.gl/KxMmtG to delimit the end of the options. npm will pass all the arguments after the -- directly to your script: npm run test -- --grep="pattern" The arguments will only be passed to the script specified after npm run and not to any pre or post script. The env script is a special built-in command that can be used to list environment variables that will be available to the script at run- time. If an "env" command is defined in your package, it will take precedence over the built-in. In addition to the shell's pre-existing PATH, npm run adds node_modules/.bin to the PATH provided to scripts. Any binaries provided by locally-installed dependencies can be used without the node_modules/.bin prefix. For example, if there is a devDependency on tap in your package, you should write: "scripts": {"test": "tap test/*.js"} instead of "scripts": {"test": "node_modules/.bin/tap test/*.js"} to run your tests. The actual shell your script is run within is platform dependent. By default, on Unix-like systems it is the /bin/sh command, on Windows it is the cmd.exe. The actual shell referred to by /bin/sh also depends on the system. As of ` https://github.com/npm/npm/releases/tag/v5.1.0 you can customize the shell with the script-shell configuration. Scripts are run from the root of the module, regardless of what your current working directory is when you call npm run. If you want your script to use different behavior based on what subdirectory you're in, you can use the INIT_CWD environment variable, which holds the full path you were in when you ran npm run. npm run sets the NODE environment variable to the node executable with which npm is executed. Also, if the --scripts-prepend-node-path is passed, the directory within which node resides is added to the PATH. If --scripts-prepend-node-path=auto is passed (which has been the default in npm v3), this is only performed when that node executable is not found in the PATH. If you try to run a script without having a node_modules directory and it fails, you will be given a warning to run npm install, just in case you've forgotten. You can use the --silent flag to prevent showing npm ERR! output on error. You can use the --if-present flag to avoid exiting with a non-zero exit code when the script is undefined. This lets you run potentially undefined scripts without breaking the execution chain. SEE ALSO
o npm help 7 scripts o npm help test o npm help start o npm help restart o npm help stop o npm help 7 config January 2019 NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)