Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Time Diff in shell script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Time Diff in shell script Post 302448332 by danmero on Wednesday 25th of August 2010 08:43:47 PM
Old 08-25-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by posner
Code:
 line 13: %s - -time : syntax error: operand expected (error token is "%s - -time ")

Did you check line 13 ?

Anyway :
Code:
#!/bin/sh
start_time=`date +%s`
sleep 2
end_time=`date +%s`
duration=`expr $end_time - $start_time`
echo $duration

or..
Code:
#!/bin/bash
start_time=`date +%s`
sleep 2
end_time=`date +%s`
echo $(($end_time-$start_time))

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to manipulate a message count for the same IP @ diff session

I have a file as like below, 10:20:30.45 START 10.20.30.40 10:20:31.46 HELLO 10.20.30.40 10:20:32.46 START 10.20.30.41 10:20:33.44 END 10.20.30.40 10:20:35.44 HELLO 10.20.30.41 10:20:36.56 HELLO 10.20.30.41 10:20:37.78 HELLO 10.20.30.41 10:20:38.99 START 10.20.30.40... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gobinath
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process diff command output in a shell script

diff -yta file1 file2 #!/usr/abc/b/bin/perl5.6 | #!/usr/abc/b/bin/perl5.8 Notable thing about above line is "|" appears at 62nd position. When the same line is assigned in a variable in a ksh script, using ss=$(diff -yta file1 file2) it appears as ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaliyajalpesh
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script using Diff

Hello - I have a small diff script that checks 2 directories. It reports the difference in count such as wc -l, and also names the different files. How should I get "ERROR: diff found . (host)" - when it actually finds a diff? This is how I have written: #!/bin/bash ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to convert epoch time to real time

Dear experts, I have an epoch time input file such as : - 1302451209564 1302483698948 1302485231072 1302490805383 1302519244700 1302492787481 1302505299145 1302506557022 1302532112140 1302501033105 1302511536485 1302512669550 I need the epoch time above to be converted into real... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aismann
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Diff between calling a shell script with ./ and . ./

Hi ALL I have a shell script named setUP in which i am sourcing one variable like source var_name="CLASSPATH". When i call it as ./setUP, it does not set the var_name variable. But when i call it like . ./setUP then var_name is set up. What is the difference between this two calls? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SasDutta
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff between calling a shell script with ./ and . ./

Hi ALL I have a shell script named setUP in which i am sourcing one variable like source var_name="CLASSPATH". When i call it as ./setUP, it does not set the var_name variable. But when i call it like . ./setUP then var_name is set up. What is the difference between this two calls? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SasDutta
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

serach diff filename in diff location using shell scripting

Hi, I am new to shell scripting. please help me to find out the solution. I need a script where we need to read the text file(consists of all file names) and get the file names one by one and append the date suffix for each file name as 'yyyymmdd' . Then search each file if exists... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lucky123
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to compare ,diff and remove betwen 2 files

Hi Friends Need your expertise. Command to check the difference and compare 2 files and remove lines . example File1 is master copy and File2 is a slave copy . whenever i change, add or delete a record in File1 it should update the same in slave copy . Can you guide me how can i accomplish... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Howto compare the columns of 2 diff tables of 2 different schemas in UNIX shell script

HI All, I am new to Unix shell scripts.. Could you please post the unix shell script for for the below request., There are two different tables(sample1, sample2) in different schemas(s_schema1, s_schema2). Unix shell script to compare the columns of two different tables of two... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajkumar Gopal
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate Time diff in milli milliseconds(Time format : HH:MM:SS,NNN)

Hi All, I have one file which contains time for request and response. I want to calculate time difference in milliseconds for each line. This file can contain 10K lines. Sample file with 4 lines. for first line. Request Time: 15:23:45,255 Response Time: 15:23:45,258 Time diff... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raza Ali
6 Replies
IPC::Run::Timer(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      IPC::Run::Timer(3pm)

NAME
IPC::Run::Timer -- Timer channels for IPC::Run. SYNOPSIS
use IPC::Run qw( run timer timeout ); ## or IPC::Run::Timer ( timer timeout ); ## or IPC::Run::Timer ( :all ); ## A non-fatal timer: $t = timer( 5 ); # or... $t = IO::Run::Timer->new( 5 ); run $t, ...; ## A timeout (which is a timer that dies on expiry): $t = timeout( 5 ); # or... $t = IO::Run::Timer->new( 5, exception => "harness timed out" ); DESCRIPTION
This class and module allows timers and timeouts to be created for use by IPC::Run. A timer simply expires when it's time is up. A timeout is a timer that throws an exception when it expires. Timeouts are usually a bit simpler to use than timers: they throw an exception on expiration so you don't need to check them: ## Give @cmd 10 seconds to get started, then 5 seconds to respond my $t = timeout( 10 ); $h = start( @cmd, $in, $out, $t, ); pump $h until $out =~ /prompt/; $in = "some stimulus"; $out = ''; $t->time( 5 ) pump $h until $out =~ /expected response/; You do need to check timers: ## Give @cmd 10 seconds to get started, then 5 seconds to respond my $t = timer( 10 ); $h = start( @cmd, $in, $out, $t, ); pump $h until $t->is_expired || $out =~ /prompt/; $in = "some stimulus"; $out = ''; $t->time( 5 ) pump $h until $out =~ /expected response/ || $t->is_expired; Timers and timeouts that are reset get started by start() and pump(). Timers change state only in pump(). Since run() and finish() both call pump(), they act like pump() with repect to timers. Timers and timeouts have three states: reset, running, and expired. Setting the timeout value resets the timer, as does calling the reset() method. The start() method starts (or restarts) a timer with the most recently set time value, no matter what state it's in. Time values All time values are in seconds. Times may be specified as integer or floating point seconds, optionally preceded by puncuation-separated days, hours, and minutes. Examples: 1 1 second 1.1 1.1 seconds 60 60 seconds 1:0 1 minute 1:1 1 minute, 1 second 1:90 2 minutes, 30 seconds 1:2:3:4.5 1 day, 2 hours, 3 minutes, 4.5 seconds Absolute date/time strings are *not* accepted: year, month and day-of-month parsing is not available (patches welcome :-). Interval fudging When calculating an end time from a start time and an interval, IPC::Run::Timer instances add a little fudge factor. This is to ensure that no time will expire before the interval is up. First a little background. Time is sampled in discrete increments. We'll call the exact moment that the reported time increments from one interval to the next a tick, and the interval between ticks as the time period. Here's a diagram of three ticks and the periods between them: -0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-2-... ^ ^ ^ |<--- period 0 ---->|<--- period 1 ---->| | | | tick 0 tick 1 tick 2 To see why the fudge factor is necessary, consider what would happen when a timer with an interval of 1 second is started right at the end of period 0: -0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-2-... ^ ^ ^ ^ | | | | | | | | tick 0 |tick 1 tick 2 | start $t Assuming that check() is called many times per period, then the timer is likely to expire just after tick 1, since the time reported will have lept from the value '0' to the value '1': -0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-2-... ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ | | | | | | | | | | tick 0 |tick 1| tick 2 | | start $t | | check $t Adding a fudge of '1' in this example means that the timer is guaranteed not to expire before tick 2. The fudge is not added to an interval of '0'. This means that intervals guarantee a minimum interval. Given that the process running perl may be suspended for some period of time, or that it gets busy doing something time-consuming, there are no other guarantees on how long it will take a timer to expire. SUBCLASSING
INCOMPATIBLE CHANGE: Due to the awkwardness introduced by ripping pseudohashes out of Perl, this class no longer uses the fields pragma. FUNCTIONS &; METHODS timer A constructor function (not method) of IPC::Run::Timer instances: $t = timer( 5 ); $t = timer( 5, name => 'stall timer', debug => 1 ); $t = timer; $t->interval( 5 ); run ..., $t; run ..., $t = timer( 5 ); This convenience function is a shortened spelling of IPC::Run::Timer->new( ... ); . It returns a timer in the reset state with a given interval. If an exception is provided, it will be thrown when the timer notices that it has expired (in check()). The name is for debugging usage, if you plan on having multiple timers around. If no name is provided, a name like "timer #1" will be provided. timeout A constructor function (not method) of IPC::Run::Timer instances: $t = timeout( 5 ); $t = timeout( 5, exception => "kablooey" ); $t = timeout( 5, name => "stall", exception => "kablooey" ); $t = timeout; $t->interval( 5 ); run ..., $t; run ..., $t = timeout( 5 ); A This convenience function is a shortened spelling of IPC::Run::Timer->new( exception => "IPC::Run: timeout ...", ... ); . It returns a timer in the reset state that will throw an exception when it expires. Takes the same parameters as "timer", any exception passed in overrides the default exception. new IPC::Run::Timer->new() ; IPC::Run::Timer->new( 5 ) ; IPC::Run::Timer->new( 5, exception => 'kablooey' ) ; Constructor. See "timer" for details. check check $t; check $t, $now; $t->check; Checks to see if a timer has expired since the last check. Has no effect on non-running timers. This will throw an exception if one is defined. IPC::Run::pump() calls this routine for any timers in the harness. You may pass in a version of now, which is useful in case you have it lying around or you want to check several timers with a consistent concept of the current time. Returns the time left before end_time or 0 if end_time is no longer in the future or the timer is not running (unless, of course, check() expire()s the timer and this results in an exception being thrown). Returns undef if the timer is not running on entry, 0 if check() expires it, and the time left if it's left running. debug Sets/gets the current setting of the debugging flag for this timer. This has no effect if debugging is not enabled for the current harness. end_time $et = $t->end_time; $et = end_time $t; $t->end_time( time + 10 ); Returns the time when this timer will or did expire. Even if this time is in the past, the timer may not be expired, since check() may not have been called yet. Note that this end_time is not start_time($t) + interval($t), since some small extra amount of time is added to make sure that the timer does not expire before interval() elapses. If this were not so, then Changing end_time() while a timer is running will set the expiration time. Changing it while it is expired has no affect, since reset()ing a timer always clears the end_time(). exception $x = $t->exception; $t->exception( $x ); $t->exception( undef ); Sets/gets the exception to throw, if any. 'undef' means that no exception will be thrown. Exception does not need to be a scalar: you may ask that references be thrown. interval $i = interval $t; $i = $t->interval; $t->interval( $i ); Sets the interval. Sets the end time based on the start_time() and the interval (and a little fudge) if the timer is running. expire expire $t; $t->expire; Sets the state to expired (undef). Will throw an exception if one is defined and the timer was not already expired. You can expire a reset timer without starting it. is_running is_reset is_expired name Sets/gets this timer's name. The name is only used for debugging purposes so you can tell which freakin' timer is doing what. reset reset $t; $t->reset; Resets the timer to the non-running, non-expired state and clears the end_time(). start start $t; $t->start; start $t, $interval; start $t, $interval, $now; Starts or restarts a timer. This always sets the start_time. It sets the end_time based on the interval if the timer is running or if no end time has been set. You may pass an optional interval or current time value. Not passing a defined interval causes the previous interval setting to be re-used unless the timer is reset and an end_time has been set (an exception is thrown if no interval has been set). Not passing a defined current time value causes the current time to be used. Passing a current time value is useful if you happen to have a time value lying around or if you want to make sure that several timers are started with the same concept of start time. You might even need to lie to an IPC::Run::Timer, occasionally. start_time Sets/gets the start time, in seconds since the epoch. Setting this manually is a bad idea, it's better to call "start"() at the correct time. state $s = state $t; $t->state( $s ); Get/Set the current state. Only use this if you really need to transfer the state to/from some variable. Use "expire", "start", "reset", "is_expired", "is_running", "is_reset". Note: Setting the state to 'undef' to expire a timer will not throw an exception. TODO
use Time::HiRes; if it's present. Add detection and parsing of [[[HH:]MM:]SS formatted times and intervals. AUTHOR
Barrie Slaymaker <barries@slaysys.com> perl v5.14.2 2012-01-16 IPC::Run::Timer(3pm)