Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Slackware 13.1 can't configure two network cards Post 302447926 by Corona688 on Tuesday 24th of August 2010 05:02:25 PM
Old 08-24-2010
Linux decides what drivers to use with what cards based on their PCI ID's, and may not recognize the Honeywell card because of its funny ID. If it really is a normal Realtek card, without any important differences in wiring than a garden-variety one, you might be able to get it recognized by adding its PCI ID to the list of recognized ID's in the realtek 8139 driver and recompiling.

Have you exhausted all possibilities with the realtek drivers though? I believe there's at least two for 8139, "8139cp" and "8139too" since there's two subtly but wholly incompatible kinds of 8139 with the same PCI ID. If you have either of them loaded(you'll see it in lsmod), rmmod it and modprobe the other.

You might even be able to get away with using the generic "ne2000" module, which probes for ne2000-compatible cards ignoring IDs and works for many odd, older PCI network cards.

Last edited by Corona688; 08-24-2010 at 06:16 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Help needed to configure GUI with Slackware 7 on an IBM Thinkpad Laptop

I am using Slackware 7 on my IBM Thinkpad. I am unable to configure it to display a graphical environment. Typing startx usually generates a few errors. The system, however, does boot into the shell environment without any issues or problems. I have been able to setup Slackware 7 successfully... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adrienb
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SCO Unix and Two Network Cards

Our shops server runs SCO Openserver 5 release 5. It has two network cards in it (one on 10.0.0.6 and one on 90.0.0.99). When I run scoadmin and look at the network settings it show both my 3com network cards and a loop back driver http://theentertainer.com/james/untitled.jpg Can anyone tell... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: potter
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Disable Network cards under boot Prom

Hi, I'm looking for a command to be able to disable a network card under the boot PROM. I need it to force my Jumpstart to use the Ethernet card of my server (V880) instead of my fiber card (gem0). Thanks, Fabien (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclefab
6 Replies

4. Solaris

How to List all Network cards

Hi, I'm looking for a command to be able to list all my network cards available on my server. With the command "ifconfig - a", I can only see to configured network card(s) Any idea ? :confused: Thanks a lot for your help, Fabien (5 Replies)
5 Replies

5. AIX

Load balancing across network cards

The title speaks for itself. I have never attempted this but understand there is a way to use two network cards (en0 and en1) with the same IP address so as to load balance the traffic flow through both cards. Anyone know the answer? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnf
4 Replies

6. Solaris

How to find network cards available ...

Hi all, I have a server running with Solaris and I have 2 Pci cards installed on this server (since a while), 1 with 4 coppers connections output and one with a Fiber network connection output. Today, this server is using the on board network connection (Ce0). How can I find the other... (7 Replies)
7 Replies

7. Solaris

qfe errors and network cards

Hi All, Hope you are all doing good. In MY unix box i have 2 network cards. I want to know what if one network card fails. Does the second one will automatically take all the traffic or how it is supposed to work. Also in my logs i am seeing below errors . Can you throw some light of this qfe... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krrishv
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Network cards - Routing

Hi all I hate networking, I hate everything to do with it. Its something I do in anger in one contract, then forget. This is more of a question / than a problem. So, on a solaris 10 server, using older qfe cards, Ive got a sun truck with 4 nics (qfe0,3,4,7), and a ipmp pair (hemo0,qfe1).... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
2 Replies

9. Solaris

configure zones to have different network interface and network

i need to configure a zone to use different interface (bge2) than global and have connected to completely different network switch & to use its own defaultrouter and hosts file .. is it possible ..if so ..how ? Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
9 Replies

10. Slackware

How configure micromax bsnl 3G modem in KPPP on slackware 13.1

How configure micromax bsnl 3G modem in KPPP on slackware 13.1 while it automatically mounted under /dev/sr1 iso9660 /media/modem and in lsusb command add following information: Bus 001 Device 020: ID 1c9e:f000 now i follow these steps for usb switch to modem usb_modeswitch.conf ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hitlar
0 Replies
AN(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						     AN(4)

NAME
an -- Aironet Communications 4500/4800 wireless network adapter driver SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device an device wlan Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): if_an_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The an driver provides support for Aironet Communications 4500 and 4800 wireless network adapters and variants, including the following: o Aironet Communications 4500 and 4800 series o Cisco Aironet 340 and 350 series o Xircom Wireless Ethernet Adapter Support for these devices include the ISA, PCI and PCMCIA varieties. The Aironet 4500 series adapters operate at 1 and 2Mbps while the Aironet 4800 series and Cisco adapters can operate at 1, 2, 5.5 and 11Mbps. The ISA, PCI and PCMCIA devices are all based on the same core PCMCIA modules and all have the same programming interface, however unlike the Lucent WaveLAN/IEEE cards, the ISA and PCI cards appear to the host as normal ISA and PCI devices and do not require any PCCARD support. The PCMCIA Aironet cards require PC Card support, including the kernel pccard(4) driver. ISA cards can either be configured to use ISA Plug and Play or to use a particular I/O address and IRQ by properly setting the DIP switches on the board. (The default switch setting is for Plug and Play.) The an driver has Plug and Play support and will work in either configuration, however when using a hard-wired I/O address and IRQ, the driver configuration and the NIC's switch settings must agree. PCI cards require no switch settings of any kind and will be automatically probed and attached. All host/device interaction with the Aironet cards is via programmed I/O. The Aironet devices support 802.11 and 802.3 frames, power manage- ment, BSS (infrastructure) and IBSS (ad-hoc) operation modes. The an driver encapsulates all IP and ARP traffic as 802.11 frames, however it can receive either 802.11 or 802.3 frames. Transmit speed is selectable between 1Mbps, 2Mbps, 5.5Mbps, 11Mbps or "auto" (the NIC automati- cally chooses the best speed). By default, the an driver configures the Aironet card for infrastructure operation. For more information on configuring this device, see ifconfig(8). DIAGNOSTICS
an%d: init failed The Aironet card failed to become ready after an initialization command was issued. an%d: failed to allocate %d bytes on NIC The driver was unable to allocate memory for transmit frames in the NIC's on-board RAM. an%d: device timeout The Aironet card failed to generate an interrupt to acknowledge a transmit command. SEE ALSO
altq(4), arp(4), miibus(4), netintro(4), wlan(4), ancontrol(8), ifconfig(8) HISTORY
The an device driver first appeared in FreeBSD 4.0. AUTHORS
The an driver was written by Bill Paul <wpaul@ee.columbia.edu>. BSD
July 16, 2005 BSD