Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Updating environment variables Post 302447852 by jtennent on Tuesday 24th of August 2010 01:20:40 PM
Old 08-24-2010
Thanks, that was it!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

environment variables

Hi! How-to get the environment variables in GNU. getenv() only fetches the ones that you can find under export (not the ones under declare)... best regars .David (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Esaia
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

environment variables

Hi Folks, Is it possible somehow to unset all the environment variables which have been defined before in UNIX (Solaris). Thanks, Slava (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spavlov
3 Replies

3. Programming

environment variables

hi, I want to create a new EV(Environment Variable) through a c program and I done this thing through setenv() method. But the newly created EV is not permanent, i.e. when I exit from the program the EV also no longer lives. But I want to make it a permanent EV for the current user. Actually I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumsin
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

environment variables

Hi, If i have a variable set and exported in my pofile file will that variable be available in all shell scripts created. Thanks, Radhika. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhika03
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Environment variables

why are all environment variables represented in a fixed format regardless of the shell you use? like $HOME $PATH etc (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravani
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Environment variables

I have read tons of posts about how you can't set persisting environment variable in a child script of a shell and have it persist. The only way is to source a file as % . <scriptname> I am finding that true... but I know there is a way around it. I just don't know how. I worked for 6... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rwa25
5 Replies

7. HP-UX

Environment Variables

Hi Experts, Need your help in understanding the commands to setup the environment variables in hp-ux. Beleive need to use either set,setenv or export. I am confused between above three options, when to use which option? On command line, I have tried both set and setenv but couldn't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sai_2507
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

Environment Variables

Hi All, I need to understand following three environment variables and their usages in HP Unix. _M_ARENA_OPTS _M_CACHE_OPTS PTHREAD_SCOPE_SYSTEM How does these environment variables influence multi threaded applciation and how do we decide the value of these variables? Is there... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Updating variables using sed or awk

Hi, I have a file(testfile.txt) that contains list of variables as shown below. T $$FirstName=James $$LastName=Fox $$Dateofbirth=1980-02-04 ……and so on there are 50 different variables. I am writing a script(script1.sh) that will update the above three variable one by one with the values... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saanvi1
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Updating variables in a running shell process

Hi I was hoping some one might be able to help me with my problem. I am trying to write a script that will help organize our print server by identifying when a new file has arrived and deleting the older version. I have most of the code written that I need although I still have one small... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Walker
2 Replies
Env(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						  Env(3pm)

NAME
Env - perl module that imports environment variables as scalars or arrays SYNOPSIS
use Env; use Env qw(PATH HOME TERM); use Env qw($SHELL @LD_LIBRARY_PATH); DESCRIPTION
Perl maintains environment variables in a special hash named %ENV. For when this access method is inconvenient, the Perl module "Env" allows environment variables to be treated as scalar or array variables. The "Env::import()" function ties environment variables with suitable names to global Perl variables with the same names. By default it ties all existing environment variables ("keys %ENV") to scalars. If the "import" function receives arguments, it takes them to be a list of variables to tie; it's okay if they don't yet exist. The scalar type prefix '$' is inferred for any element of this list not prefixed by '$' or '@'. Arrays are implemented in terms of "split" and "join", using $Config::Config{path_sep} as the delimiter. After an environment variable is tied, merely use it like a normal variable. You may access its value @path = split(/:/, $PATH); print join(" ", @LD_LIBRARY_PATH), " "; or modify it $PATH .= ":."; push @LD_LIBRARY_PATH, $dir; however you'd like. Bear in mind, however, that each access to a tied array variable requires splitting the environment variable's string anew. The code: use Env qw(@PATH); push @PATH, '.'; is equivalent to: use Env qw(PATH); $PATH .= ":."; except that if $ENV{PATH} started out empty, the second approach leaves it with the (odd) value "":."", but the first approach leaves it with ""."". To remove a tied environment variable from the environment, assign it the undefined value undef $PATH; undef @LD_LIBRARY_PATH; LIMITATIONS
On VMS systems, arrays tied to environment variables are read-only. Attempting to change anything will cause a warning. AUTHOR
Chip Salzenberg <chip@fin.uucp> and Gregor N. Purdy <gregor@focusresearch.com> perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Env(3pm)