Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Updating environment variables Post 302447597 by jtennent on Monday 23rd of August 2010 06:52:04 PM
Old 08-23-2010
Question Updating environment variables

ok, this definitely falls in the n00b category... I'm trying to upgrade Java on my server and just need to update the PATH, CLASSPATH, and JAVA_HOME environment variables.

This is what they currently are:
PATH=/usr/local/jdk1.5.0_15//bin:/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/java/bin:/usr/local/ant/bin:/root/bin
JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/jdk1.5.0_15/
CLASSPATH=/usr/local/jdk1.5.0_15//jre/lib

This is my java install directories under /usr/local:
4 drwxr-xr-x 9 root root 4096 Sep 19 2008 jdk1.5.0_15
4 drwxr-xr-x 10 root root 4096 Sep 23 2008 jdk1.6.0_07
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Sep 23 2008 java -> jdk1.6.0_07

And this is the java that is being used:
[root@dev local]# which java
/usr/local/jdk1.5.0_15/bin/java

I looked at my /etc/bashrc and it is calling /etc/profile.d/java.sh, which looks like this:
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java
export ANT_HOME=/usr/local/ant
export PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin:$ANT_HOME/bin

What's confusing me is that I can see that the java.sh is indeed running but things aren't working out properly.
1) I can see the java.sh appends the last 2 entries of the PATH shown above. But the first entry in the path goes to the jdk1.5 with a double //bin.
2) JAVA_HOME does not point to /usr/local/java but to /usr/local/jdk1.5.0_15/

Any ideas how to figure this out?

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

environment variables

Hi! How-to get the environment variables in GNU. getenv() only fetches the ones that you can find under export (not the ones under declare)... best regars .David (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Esaia
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

environment variables

Hi Folks, Is it possible somehow to unset all the environment variables which have been defined before in UNIX (Solaris). Thanks, Slava (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spavlov
3 Replies

3. Programming

environment variables

hi, I want to create a new EV(Environment Variable) through a c program and I done this thing through setenv() method. But the newly created EV is not permanent, i.e. when I exit from the program the EV also no longer lives. But I want to make it a permanent EV for the current user. Actually I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumsin
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

environment variables

Hi, If i have a variable set and exported in my pofile file will that variable be available in all shell scripts created. Thanks, Radhika. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhika03
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Environment variables

why are all environment variables represented in a fixed format regardless of the shell you use? like $HOME $PATH etc (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravani
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Environment variables

I have read tons of posts about how you can't set persisting environment variable in a child script of a shell and have it persist. The only way is to source a file as % . <scriptname> I am finding that true... but I know there is a way around it. I just don't know how. I worked for 6... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rwa25
5 Replies

7. HP-UX

Environment Variables

Hi Experts, Need your help in understanding the commands to setup the environment variables in hp-ux. Beleive need to use either set,setenv or export. I am confused between above three options, when to use which option? On command line, I have tried both set and setenv but couldn't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sai_2507
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

Environment Variables

Hi All, I need to understand following three environment variables and their usages in HP Unix. _M_ARENA_OPTS _M_CACHE_OPTS PTHREAD_SCOPE_SYSTEM How does these environment variables influence multi threaded applciation and how do we decide the value of these variables? Is there... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Updating variables using sed or awk

Hi, I have a file(testfile.txt) that contains list of variables as shown below. T $$FirstName=James $$LastName=Fox $$Dateofbirth=1980-02-04 ……and so on there are 50 different variables. I am writing a script(script1.sh) that will update the above three variable one by one with the values... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saanvi1
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Updating variables in a running shell process

Hi I was hoping some one might be able to help me with my problem. I am trying to write a script that will help organize our print server by identifying when a new file has arrived and deleting the older version. I have most of the code written that I need although I still have one small... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Walker
2 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh. Note that /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells may cause unexpected behavior (such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1)). FILES
/etc/shells lists shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.10 4 Jun 2001 shells(4)