Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Meaning and typical use of -3 signal in kill Post 302446611 by Tytalus on Thursday 19th of August 2010 08:12:49 AM
Old 08-19-2010
ctrl \ if process is in foreground

kill -3 <pid> if you are referencing a process that is not under immediate control...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

kill signal

Hello e'bdy, We have WebSphere MQ running on AIX 5.1 Every weekend MQ receives a kill -30 signal from some process or user and offloads a big error file. There is no way in MQ through which that process can be tracked. Is there something which i can do on UNIX level to trap the process? Best... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhaavinash
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Kill Signal

Hello, I'm doing a project of OS simulation (Process Scheduling, to be very specific). Can anyone, please, explain what exactly happens in the background when we see "Sending all processes the KILL signal...........". How is it sent to each process? Is it that something like a boolean is stored... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ameya
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Typical way to disable a dameon

I want to disable some services starting automatically while system booting, for instance if i want to disable vold what i have to do ? i think some services related to a script init level shell directory,and i think as well that since solaris 10 they added a command to enable and disable services... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: XP_2600
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

typical mail script

hi i have a requirement to write a mail script which needs to be automated.There are 7 CSV files generated for 7 clients in a single day.Each file will contain one header and the name of the file follows a nomenclature like ABC_20080402_ClientID.csv.ClientID is lets say... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr46014
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Trap kill -9 signal

I just want to trap kill -9 signal issued by any of user from any terminal and just capture that user terminal who had raised this kill -9 command (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: puneet.goel
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

A typical array script

Hi All, I need to store the output of "find ." to an array one by one. Output of find . in my case will look like :- . ./one ./one/a ./one/b ./one/c ./two So my first array element should be "/one" and second one "/one/a" (need to remove "." from the output as well). Then I need to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Renjesh
11 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Calculating total space in GB for all files with typical pattern

Hi Experts, In a particular dir, I have many files *AJAY*. How can I get total size of all such files. I tried du -hs *AJAY* but it gave me individual size of all files. All I require is summation of all. Thanks, Ajay (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaypatil_am
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Typical problem in UNIX

Input file I have a file with four fields. f1,f2,f3,f4 A,1,10,00,S B,2,20,00,00,D C,3,100,00,00,G I want Output like f1|f2|f3|f4 A|1|10,00|S B|2|20,00,00|D C|3|100,00,00|G please help on this (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharat1211
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compile a software for a non-typical platform?

I am quite new to compiling source codes in linux and have been running into a lot of problems in trying to do so since the platform configuration is different from most. For starters, I know that you need to enter the following commands in order to install any software manually in linux:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ice_Drake1
2 Replies
killall(1M)															       killall(1M)

NAME
killall - kill all active processes SYNOPSIS
[signal] DESCRIPTION
is a procedure used by to kill all active processes not directly related to the shutdown procedure. is chiefly used to terminate all processes with open files so that the mounted file systems are no longer busy and can be unmounted. sends the specified signal to all user processes in the system, with the following exceptions: the process; all processes (including background processes) associated with the terminal from which was invoked; any process, if owned by any process, if owned by any process; any process; any process. obtains its process information from and therefore may not be able to perfectly identify which processes to signal (see ps(1)). If no signal is specified, a default of (kill) is used. is invoked automatically by The use of is recommended over using by itself (see shutdown(1M)). FILES
SEE ALSO
fuser(1M), kill(1), ps(1), shutdown(1M), signal(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
killall(1M)