Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: line count
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting line count Post 302446236 by ygemici on Wednesday 18th of August 2010 05:13:15 AM
Old 08-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_panky
iam not...that means there is some other way to do it....
My files is a huge file...
need to know the exact line count...
did you try
Code:

# sed -n '$=' hugefile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the line count from 2nd line of the file ?

Hi, I want to get the line count of the file from the 2nd line of the file ? The first line is header so want to skip that. Thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: smc3
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count on every other line

I'd like to create a loop that will display something like: 1 2 29 2 57 2 ... 25173 2 I figure I'd want to make some code that counts to 1798 and for the odd numbers displays: 1+28((n-1)/2) and for the even numbers displays 2. This is what I wrote:#! /bin/csh #include <stdio.h> int... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: red baron
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append line count to each line

Hello forum, I need to append the total line count to the end of each line in a file. The file where this line count needs to be appended is generated by this script: The script does a word frequency count by the first column of a file. if I add wc -l at the end then the line count... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysean
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Line count

Hello friends, Could you please help on this, n=`wc -l test.txt` echo $n the above two line code give me "67 text.txt" where as i just need n= 67 as line count (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danish Shakil
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to count number of ~ from each line and compare with next line

Hi, I have created one shell script in which it will count number of "~" tilda charactors from each line of the file.But the problem is that i need to count each line count individually, that means. if line one contains 14 "~"s and line two contains 15 "~"s then it should give an error msg.each... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh Khandare
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delimiter Count Line by Line

Hi All, I have totally 10 source files. I want to count the delimiter In my source files line by line and need to store the result in another file. I got the output for the total count of delimiter for one file. But I am struggling to get the delimiter count line by line for each my files. Plz... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh01_apk
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

line count

Hi In my directory i have file of many days , i want to count the number of line of all the files of todays date. every file will have date component on it for eg. V5_T_RIO_TAFM_20120905070015847.LOG from the file name 20120905- > this show that file is of today's date . I have written... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: guddu_12
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare file1 header count with file2 line count

What I'm trying to accomplish. I receive a Header and Detail file for daily processing. The detail file comes first which holds data, the header is a receipt of the detail file and has the detail files record count. Before processing the detail file I would like to put a wrapper around another... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pone2332
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the pipes "|" in line and delete line if count greter then number.

Hello, I have been working on Awk/sed one liner which counts the number of occurrences of '|' in pipe separated lines of file and delete the line from files if count exceeds "17". i.e need to get records having exact 17 pipe separated fields(no more or less) currently i have below : awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Count pattern line by line

I have a file like below with more than 30,000 lines: Someword "mypattern blah blah mypattern blah mypattern blah " Someotherword "mypattern blah blah mypattern blah mypattern blah" Someword "mypattern blah blah blah mypattern blah " Someword "mypattern blah blah mypattern blah ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
3 Replies
PREG_REPLACE_CALLBACK(3)						 1						  PREG_REPLACE_CALLBACK(3)

preg_replace_callback - Perform a regular expression search and replace using a callback

SYNOPSIS
mixed preg_replace_callback (mixed $pattern, callable $callback, mixed $subject, [int $limit = -1], [int &$count]) DESCRIPTION
The behavior of this function is almost identical to preg_replace(3), except for the fact that instead of $replacement parameter, one should specify a $callback. PARAMETERS
o $pattern - The pattern to search for. It can be either a string or an array with strings. o $callback - A callback that will be called and passed an array of matched elements in the $subject string. The callback should return the replacement string. This is the callback signature: string handler (array $matches) You'll often need the $callback function for a preg_replace_callback(3) in just one place. In this case you can use an anonymous function to declare the callback within the call to preg_replace_callback(3). By doing it this way you have all information for the call in one place and do not clutter the function namespace with a callback function's name not used anywhere else. Example #1 preg_replace_callback(3) and anonymous function <?php /* a unix-style command line filter to convert uppercase * letters at the beginning of paragraphs to lowercase */ $fp = fopen("php://stdin", "r") or die("can't read stdin"); while (!feof($fp)) { $line = fgets($fp); $line = preg_replace_callback( '|<p>s*w|', function ($matches) { return strtolower($matches[0]); }, $line ); echo $line; } fclose($fp); ?> o $subject - The string or an array with strings to search and replace. o $limit - The maximum possible replacements for each pattern in each $subject string. Defaults to -1 (no limit). o $count - If specified, this variable will be filled with the number of replacements done. RETURN VALUES
preg_replace_callback(3) returns an array if the $subject parameter is an array, or a string otherwise. On errors the return value is NULL If matches are found, the new subject will be returned, otherwise $subject will be returned unchanged. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------+ | 5.1.0 | | | | | | | The $count parameter was added | | | | +--------+---------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #2 preg_replace_callback(3) example <?php // this text was used in 2002 // we want to get this up to date for 2003 $text = "April fools day is 04/01/2002 "; $text.= "Last christmas was 12/24/2001 "; // the callback function function next_year($matches) { // as usual: $matches[0] is the complete match // $matches[1] the match for the first subpattern // enclosed in '(...)' and so on return $matches[1].($matches[2]+1); } echo preg_replace_callback( "|(d{2}/d{2}/)(d{4})|", "next_year", $text); ?> The above example will output: April fools day is 04/01/2003 Last christmas was 12/24/2002 Example #3 preg_replace_callback(3) using recursive structure to handle encapsulated BB code <?php $input = "plain [indent] deep [indent] deeper [/indent] deep [/indent] plain"; function parseTagsRecursive($input) { $regex = '#[indent]((?:[^[]|[(?!/?indent])|(?R))+)[/indent]#'; if (is_array($input)) { $input = '<div style="margin-left: 10px">'.$input[1].'</div>'; } return preg_replace_callback($regex, 'parseTagsRecursive', $input); } $output = parseTagsRecursive($input); echo $output; ?> SEE ALSO
PCRE Patterns, preg_quote(3), preg_replace(3), preg_last_error(3), Anonymous functions, information about the callback type. PHP Documentation Group PREG_REPLACE_CALLBACK(3)