Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: line count
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting line count Post 302446219 by j_panky on Wednesday 18th of August 2010 04:40:06 AM
Old 08-18-2010
iam not...that means there is some other way to do it....
My files is a huge file...
need to know the exact line count...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the line count from 2nd line of the file ?

Hi, I want to get the line count of the file from the 2nd line of the file ? The first line is header so want to skip that. Thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: smc3
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count on every other line

I'd like to create a loop that will display something like: 1 2 29 2 57 2 ... 25173 2 I figure I'd want to make some code that counts to 1798 and for the odd numbers displays: 1+28((n-1)/2) and for the even numbers displays 2. This is what I wrote:#! /bin/csh #include <stdio.h> int... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: red baron
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append line count to each line

Hello forum, I need to append the total line count to the end of each line in a file. The file where this line count needs to be appended is generated by this script: The script does a word frequency count by the first column of a file. if I add wc -l at the end then the line count... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysean
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Line count

Hello friends, Could you please help on this, n=`wc -l test.txt` echo $n the above two line code give me "67 text.txt" where as i just need n= 67 as line count (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danish Shakil
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to count number of ~ from each line and compare with next line

Hi, I have created one shell script in which it will count number of "~" tilda charactors from each line of the file.But the problem is that i need to count each line count individually, that means. if line one contains 14 "~"s and line two contains 15 "~"s then it should give an error msg.each... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh Khandare
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delimiter Count Line by Line

Hi All, I have totally 10 source files. I want to count the delimiter In my source files line by line and need to store the result in another file. I got the output for the total count of delimiter for one file. But I am struggling to get the delimiter count line by line for each my files. Plz... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh01_apk
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

line count

Hi In my directory i have file of many days , i want to count the number of line of all the files of todays date. every file will have date component on it for eg. V5_T_RIO_TAFM_20120905070015847.LOG from the file name 20120905- > this show that file is of today's date . I have written... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: guddu_12
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare file1 header count with file2 line count

What I'm trying to accomplish. I receive a Header and Detail file for daily processing. The detail file comes first which holds data, the header is a receipt of the detail file and has the detail files record count. Before processing the detail file I would like to put a wrapper around another... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pone2332
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the pipes "|" in line and delete line if count greter then number.

Hello, I have been working on Awk/sed one liner which counts the number of occurrences of '|' in pipe separated lines of file and delete the line from files if count exceeds "17". i.e need to get records having exact 17 pipe separated fields(no more or less) currently i have below : awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Count pattern line by line

I have a file like below with more than 30,000 lines: Someword "mypattern blah blah mypattern blah mypattern blah " Someotherword "mypattern blah blah mypattern blah mypattern blah" Someword "mypattern blah blah blah mypattern blah " Someword "mypattern blah blah mypattern blah ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
3 Replies
STRING(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 STRING(3)

NAME
strcat, strncat, strcmp, strncmp, strcasecmp, strncasecmp, strcpy, strncpy, strlen, index, rindex - string operations SYNOPSIS
#include <strings.h> char *strcat(s, append) char *s, *append; char *strncat(s, append, count) char *s, *append; int count; strcmp(s1, s2) char *s1, *s2; strncmp(s1, s2, count) char *s1, *s2; int count; strcasecmp(s1, s2) char *s1, *s2; strncasecmp(s1, s2, count) char *s1, *s2; int count; char *strcpy(to, from) char *to, *from; char *strncpy(to, from, count) char *to, *from; int count; strlen(s) char *s; char *index(s, c) char *s, c; char *rindex(s, c) char *s, c; DESCRIPTION
These functions operate on null-terminated strings. They do not check for overflow of any receiving string. Strcat appends a copy of string append to the end of string s. Strncat copies at most count characters. Both return a pointer to the null- terminated result. Strcmp compares its arguments and returns an integer greater than, equal to, or less than 0, according as s1 is lexicographically greater than, equal to, or less than s2. Strncmp makes the same comparison but looks at at most count characters. Strcasecmp and strncasecmp are identical in function, but are case insensitive. The returned lexicographic difference reflects a conversion to lower-case. Strcpy copies string from to to, stopping after the null character has been moved. Strncpy copies exactly count characters, appending nulls if from is less than count characters in length; the target may not be null-terminated if the length of from is count or more. Both return to. Strlen returns the number of non-null characters in s. Index (rindex) returns a pointer to the first (last) occurrence of character c in string s or zero if c does not occur in the string. Set- ting c to NULL works. 4th Berkeley Distribution October 22, 1987 STRING(3)