Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk removing data before or after a pattern Post 302443406 by agama on Sunday 8th of August 2010 07:05:09 PM
Old 08-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvj
Could you pls explain why it is working??
His script is taking advantage of the fact that if the action part of a pattern-action pair is missing, the action {print;} is assumed. Further, !p is the same as saying 'p == 0' in the pattern portion of the statement. The value of an undefined variable is either 0 or "" depending on how it is used. To write the script in 'long form' might make more sense to you:

Code:
awk ' 
BEGIN { p = 0;}
p == 0 { print; }       # pattern not matched; print  (!p;)
/^03:00/ { p = 1; }  # pattern is matched, stop printing (exit(0) would be more efficient)
' file

Similarly, printing everything after the pattern line:
Code:
BEGIN { p = 0;}
/^03:00/ { p = 1; }  # pattern is matched, allow printing
p != 0 { print; }       # p;  in the original script
' file

This User Gave Thanks to agama For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing a line containing a pattern in sed

i need to use sed to remove an entire line containing a pattern stored in a variable say $var1 this var1 will be a URL and will therefore contain slashes any help would be greatly appreciated (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Fire_Storm
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing or removing a long list of pattern by using awk or sed

Input: >abc|123456|def|EXIT| >abc|203456|def|EXIT2| >abc|234056|def|EXIT3| >abc|340056|def|EXIT4| >abc|456000|def|EXIT5| . . . Output: def|EXIT| def|EXIT2| def|EXIT3| def|EXIT4| def|EXIT5| . . My try code: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP to server, pulling data and removing the data

Hi all, I have the following script, but are not too sure about the syntax to complete the script. In essence, the script must connect to a SFTP server at a client site with username and password located in a file on my server. Then change to the appropriate directory. Pull the data to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: codenjanod
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing data with pattern matching

I have the following: HH:MM:SS I want to use either % or # sign to remove :SS can somebody please provide me an example. I know how to do this in awk, but awk is too much overhead for something this simple since I will be doing this in a loop a lot of times. Thanks in advance to all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing repeating lines from a data frame (AWK)

Hey Guys! I have written a code which combines lots of files into one big file(.csv). However, each of the original files had headers on the first line, and now that I've combined the files the headers are interspersed throughout the new combined data frame. For example, throughout the data... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: gd9629
21 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get data from hex file using SED or AWK based on pattern sign

I have a binary (hex) file I need to parse to get some data which are encoded this way: .* b4 . . . 01 12 .* af .* 83 L1 x1 x2 xL 84 L2 y1 y2 yL By another words there is a stream of hexadecimal bytes (in my example separated by space for better readability). I need to get value stored in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameucho
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing files matching a pattern

I am on ubuntu 11.10 using bash scripts I want to remove all files matching a string pattern and I am using the following code find . -name "*$pattern*" -exec rm -f {} \;I have encountered a problem when $pattern is empty. In this case all my files in my current directory were deleted. This... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing a pattern in a line

Dear team, I have a file curve.csv which is generated from oracle and each line has a comment associated with it, I want to get rid of this comment, can you please suggest me a command as how to do it Eg, cat curve.csv /*data for today curve*/ /*data for text1*/ this is the header /*data... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing PATTERN from txt without removing lines and general text formatting

Hi Everybody! First post! Totally noobie. I'm using the terminal to read a poorly formatted book. The text file contains, in the middle of paragraphs, hyphenation to split words that are supposed to be on multiple pages. It looks ve -- ry much like this. I was hoping to use grep -v " -- "... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AxeHandle
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to grab data in range then search for pattern

im using the following code to grab data, but after the data in the range im specifying has been grabbed, i want to count how many instances of a particular pattern is found? awk 'BEGIN{count=0} /parmlib.*RSP/,/seqfiles.*SSD/ {print; count++ } /103 error in ata file/ END { print count }'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies
match(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							  match(1)

NAME
match - Match strings against glob paterns SYNOPSIS
match [-gilrqs] [-n <n>] [-c cmd] [-x code] {[-p] pattern | -f <file>} str1 [str2 ...] DESCRIPTION
match checks strings against pattern, which should be a shell-like glob pattern. pattern may contain the following special characters: ? A "?" character in pattern matches any single character in the string, except that the "/" character is only matched if match was given the -s option. * A "*" character in pattern matches zero or more characters in the string. The exception is that it will only match "/" characters if match was given the -s option. [...] A set of characters between square brackets matches any character in the set. In addition, the "-" character can be used to specify a range. For example "[+e0-3]" would match any of the characters "+", "e", 0, 1, 2, or 3 in the input string. To include a hyphen ("-") in the set of characters matched, either include the hyphen first or last, or escape it with a "". [!...] A character class preceded by a "!" matches any character but those specified in the class. The exception is that the negated character class will match a "/" only if match was given the -s option. c The backslash character escapes the next character c. Thus, to match a literal "*", you would use the pattern "*". match prints each string that matches pattern, one per line, and exits 0 if one or more strings matched. If no string matches, match exits with status 67 (or whatever alternate status was specified by the -x flag). If the -n n flag was specified, match prints only the text that matched the nth occurrence of "*" in the patten. OPTIONS -f file Specifies that the pattern should be read from file. match will read each line of the file and consider it as pattern to match against the argument strings. For each argument string, match stops when it hits the first matching line of the file. If file does not exist, match exits 67, or whatever code was specified by -x. -g Normally, the -n option selects text matching particular "*" characters in the patern. -g changes this behavior to use parentheses for grouping. Thus, for instance, the text "foo.c" would match pattern "*(.[ch])", and the output with option -n 1 would be ".c". To include a literal "(" or ")" in the pattern with the -g option, you must precede the character with a "". -i Makes the match case insensitive. str will be considered to match if any variation on its capitalization would match. For example, string "G" would match pattern "[f-h]". -l When a pattern matches the string in more than one way, the -l flag says to assign as much text as possible to the leftmost "*"s in the pattern. For example, pattern "*+*" would match text "a+b+c", and the first "*" would match "a+b". This behavior is the default, thus -l's effect is only to undo a previous -r flag. -n n With this flag, match prints the text that matched the nth "*" in the pattern, as opposed to printing the whole string. The leftmost "*" corresponds to -n 1. Specifying -n 0 causes match to print the whole matching string. Specifying -n -1 or using a value greater than the number of "*"s in the pattern causes match not to print anything, in which case you can still use the exit status to see if there is a match. The default value for n is 0, unless -g has also been specified, in which case the default is 1. -c command When -c is specified, match runs command with the system shell (/bin/sh), giving it as argument $0 the full string that matched, and as arguments $1, $2, etc., the parts of the string that matched any "*"s in pattern. If the command does not exit with status 0, match will exit immediately, before processing further matches, with whatever status command returned. The -c and -n flags are mutually exclusive. -p pattern Specifies the pattern to match against. The -p flag is optional; you can specify pattern as the first argument following the options. However, if you want to try matching the same input string against multiple patterns, then you must specify each pattern with a -p flag. -q This option is synonymous with -n -1; it suppresses output when there is a match. You can still determine whether a match occurred by the exit status. -r When a pattern matches the string in more than one way, the -r flag says to assign as much text as possible to the rightmost "*"s in the pattern. For example, with -r, pattern "*+*" would match text "a+b+c" with the "*" matching "a", and the second matching "b+c". -s Ordinarily, "*", "?", and negated character classes ("[!...]") do not match "/" characters. -s changes this behavior to match slashes. -x code By default, when there is no match, match exits with status 67. With this option, match exits with status code, instead. EXAMPLES
Suppose you have a directory with a bunch of files ending .c and .o. If, for each file named foo.c you want to attempt to delete the file foo.o, you can run the following command: match -p '*.c' -c 'rm -f $1.o' *.c Servers running the mailman list manager often send mail from bounce addresses of the form listname-bounces@host.com. If you subscribe to multiple lists on the same server, the mailman interface makes it easier if you subscribe under the same address. To split the mail into multiple folders based on the bounce address in the environment variable SENDER, you might chose a mailbox with the following shell code: name=`match -n1 "*-bounces@host.com" "$SENDER"` && echo "$HOME/Mail/incoming/host-$name.spool" SEE ALSO
avenger(1), avenger.local(8) The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 match(1)