Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cut filename extension
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting cut filename extension Post 302440994 by DarkSwiss on Thursday 29th of July 2010 05:18:34 AM
Old 07-29-2010
Code:
echo $FILENAME |sed 's/\(.*\)..../\1/'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

filename extension check - regular expression

How to compare the file name for "zip" or "ZIP" extension. I can put one more || condition to check the upper case in the below: if ]; then Is there any better way to compare using regular expressions. Thx in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: devs
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

separating filename and extension

Hi (warning: newbie question), I am writing a script to run a series of tests on a program, which involves a line: for file in `ls test_suite/*.args` but later I want to send the output to file.out. But I need to separate the filename and extension somehow...Also $file contains... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucaspewkas
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing filename extension

Hi All, i need to change the filename extension. For simplicity, we can assume that the extension after '.' is 3 characters only... but the filenames can vary. eg. changing from abc.doc to abc.dxs can i have a oneline command to achieve this (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiso
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script takes the whole filename instead of just extension

I am running my script from "/abc/" this path and it has no ".csv files" but has a ".txt" files namely temp1.txt My script goes as below, wherein it is suppose to find files with *.txt extension and *.csv extension in another path namely "/abc/xyz/": #!/bin/ksh PATH1="/abc/xyz/" value="*.csv... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wolverine999
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting filename with entire path without extension

Hi Experts, need one help.. m writing a shell script for which i need the entire path of the file but without its extension. running the below script gives error at the statement DIR = `dirname $FILE` --command not found. #!/bin/bash jar xvf *jar for FILE in `find . -name "*.class"` ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amicableperson
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing the filename extension

Is there an easy way to strip off a filename's extension? For example, here's a filename: blahblahblah.thisisok.thisisnotok I want to get rid of .thisisnotok from the filename, so that what's left is blahblahblah.thisisok Thanks. I have a directory full of filenames that need to be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: daflore
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to add extension to filename

Hi all, I have a folder with a bunch of files in them, and I would like to add an extension (.mp3)to all these filenames. The folder has only files that I'd like .mp3 added to. It looks something like this: Intput: File1 File2 File3Output: File1.mp3 File2.mp3 File3.mp3Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: repiv
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename all files (filename with spaces) to different extension

Hi, I have files with filenames as below. SGM Daily Sales Email-en-us-05312012.xlwa I want to rename it in .xls. I am writing a script to change this, as there can be multiple files in subfolders. I have the following script. #!/bin/ksh for oldfile in $(find... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get latest filename without extension

I need to write a shell script to display the output of ls command like this ls -ltr *txt I get this -rw-r----- 1 oracle dba 51912704 Dec 11 10:27 /usr/local/sam/test12112012101247AM.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle dba 7 Dec 11 11:58 /usr/local/sam/test.txt but I just need the latest... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumang24
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Getting a filename its extension

Heyas As i often have decide things upon a filename its extension, i thought i'd write a script: Just wondering if there would be a more efficent way? out="" FN=$( echo "$1" | sed s," ","",g) # Remove any spaces and make it a single string for chance in $(echo "$FN"|sed s,"\."," ",g) # Use... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
7 Replies
yencode(n)						   encode/decoding a binary file						yencode(n)

NAME
yencode - encode/decoding a binary file SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8 package require yencode ?1.0? ::yencode::encode string ::yencode::decode string ::yencode::yencode ?-name string? ?-line integer? ?-crc32 boolean? (-file filename | ?--? string) ::yencode::ydecode (-file filename | ?--? string) DESCRIPTION
This package provides a Tcl-only implementation of the yEnc file encoding. This is a recently introduced method of encoding binary files for transmission through usenet. This encoding packs binary data into a format that requires an 8-bit clean transmission layer but that escapes characters special to the NNTP posting protocols. See http://www.yenc.org/ for details concerning the algorithm. ::yencode::encode string returns the yEnc encoded data. ::yencode::decode string Decodes the given yEnc encoded data. ::yencode::yencode ?-name string? ?-line integer? ?-crc32 boolean? (-file filename | ?--? string) Encode a file or block of data. ::yencode::ydecode (-file filename | ?--? string) Decode a file or block of data. A file may contain more than one embedded file so the result is a list where each element is a three element list of filename, file size and data. OPTIONS
-filename name Cause the yencode or ydecode commands to read their data from the named file rather that taking a string parameter. -name string The encoded data header line contains the suggested file name to be used when unpacking the data. Use this option to change this from the default of "data.dat". -line integer The yencoded data header line contains records the line length used during the encoding. Use this option to select a line length other that the default of 128. Note that NNTP imposes a 1000 character line length limit and some gateways may have trouble with more than 255 characters per line. -crc32 boolean The yEnc specification recommends the inclusion of a cyclic redundancy check value in the footer. Use this option to change the default from true to false. % set d [yencode::yencode -file testfile.txt] =ybegin line=128 size=584 name=testfile.txt -o- data not shown -o- =yend size=584 crc32=ded29f4f KEYWORDS
encoding, uuencode, yEnc, yencode, ydecode base64 1.0 yencode(n)