Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Get a specific line number from a text file Post 302440648 by kurumi on Tuesday 27th of July 2010 11:44:26 PM
Old 07-28-2010
Code:
#!/bin/bash
i=0
while read -r LINE
do
  ((i++))
  case "$LINE" in
   "DEF")  echo "line num: $i";;
  esac
done <"file"

---------- Post updated at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:42 PM ----------

Code:
grep -n "DEF" file

---------- Post updated at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:43 PM ----------

Code:
sed -n '/DEF/=' file #GNU

This User Gave Thanks to kurumi For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

jumping to a specific line in a text file

hi everybody! i need to read a specific line from a text file using C. can any one suggest how to do it. i m aware abt fread(), fwrite(), fseek()... but using these allows the pointer to be moved 1 character at a time. Is there a way i could jump directly to a line if i know the line number?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mridula
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a columnfrom a specifit line number to a specific line number

Hi, I have a huge file & I want to add a specific text in column. But I want to add this text from a specific line number to a specific line number & another text in to another range of line numbers. To be more specific: lets say my file has 1000 lines & 4 Columns. I want to add text "Hello"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ezy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding specific text and spaces to each line in a text file

Hi, I wanted to add specific text to each row in a text file containing three rows. Example: 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8 9 0 7 9 7 8 9 0 1 2 And I want to add a 21 at the beginning of the first row, and blank spaces at the beginning of the second two rows. To get this: 21 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hertingm
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract the lines between specific line number from a text file

Hi I want to extract certain text between two line numbers like 23234234324 and 54446655567567 How do I do this with a simple sed or awk command? Thank you. ---------- Post updated at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:55 PM ---------- found it: sed -n '#1,#2p'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: return_user
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inputting text to a specific line of a file

Hi all, I have a script which uses a basic line to add text into another file e.g. grep -i test * >> test.txt Is there a way I can get the output of the grep to output to a specific line in the text.txt for example output above the line starting "Bottom line..." (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing a number in a text file with a specific value

My project is to get a temperature reading from a refridgerator every 2 minutes and check to see if the door has been left open. I don't yet have the mastery of Linux, being a complete noob, but I reckon I need a text file with the latest temperature reading in it. This I've managed to do by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fitch
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting cells that contain a specific number only from a space delimited text file

I have this space delimited large text file with more than 1,000,000+ columns and about 100 rows. I want to delete all the cells that consist of just 2 (leave 2's that are not by themselves intact): File before modification aa bb cc 2 NA100 dd aa b1 c2 2 NA102 de File after modification... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

write specific line number in file

dear all, i need your advice i have sample script like this: testing.sh for i in {1..10} do echo testing $i done but i forgot create "#!/bin/bash" in above "for" so i want output will like this testing.sh #!/bin/bash for i in {1..10} do echo testing $i done (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zvtral
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep pattern after specific line number in a file

Hi guys, I am running a while loop in a script ro read a file line by line. Now I want to run a grep only on the lines below the line I am that is being read by the while loop. Eg: If my while loop is on line 4 of the file, the grep only runs below line 4 and does not include line 1,2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
3 Replies