Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Cannot access: No such file or directory Post 302437320 by 78air on Wednesday 14th of July 2010 03:58:39 PM
Old 07-14-2010
Cannot access: No such file or directory

In a directory I have a file called 250SocatSC. When i use the ls -l command I see its size, permissions, etc. Everything seems alright with it but when I try to copy (cp) it or to rename (mv) it I got the following message: "cannot access: No such file or directory". I suspect that has something to do with its name or the way it was written on the hdd. Other files of the same type (scanned images) are working just fine. I would really want to use this file. It would save me from a lot of work. By the way when I try to make these changes I use the super user account.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

failed to access directory thru ftp

Hi all, I am a beginner to unix and ftp too.So i request your valuable comments. Requirement: I want to put a specific file into a server(linux) and under a particular directory path in that server as /caps/details/data/ Problem : I login to that server through the command `ftp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DILEEP410
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to access an directory with spaces

I am getting an error while trying to access a directory created with spaces in between, i couldn't able to login into that directory could you please suggest me what should i do to access that directory or if i want to rename that directory what should i do. Directory Name: MH PLR 2005... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ariean
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Restricting FTP access for a particular directory

Dear All, I have created a user called "x" who is allowed only to FTP and it is working fine. Here my problem is, I want to give access to a particular directory say for eg:- /dump/test directory. I don't find any option in the useradd command to restrict access to this particular directory only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vijayakumarpc
1 Replies

4. Solaris

User with limited access to one directory

is there a way to create a user and limit him to read,write and execute only in one direcotry. the directory is already exsist and it belongs to dba group. i would like to make this user can't even cd to another directory or even if he can he cant do anything in the other directories. if... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: q8devilish
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris auditing (file access logging) for specific directory only.

Hello, We need to log the operations that specific user on Solaris 10 (SPARC) is performing on one directory and it's contents. I was able to configure solaris auditing service (auditd) and it works fine. The only problem is that auditd logs huge amount of unneeded information. We need to log... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: +Yan
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

about the access permission of users home directory

RHEL5.0 As we know, when root create a new user, a new home directory will be created : /home/user I want to know what determine the access permission of /home/user . Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cqlouis
1 Replies

7. AIX

openssh chroot facility and directory access

Good day. I currently have a request to have sftp access to a specific directory for a user(s). They can have access to that folder only, and nothing below it. Now here is the gotcha that seems to be catching me. The folder they need access to is NOT owned by root, and most of the parent... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: smurphy_it
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

cannot access a directory with samba

path = /opt writeable = yes ; browseable = yes # guest ok = no valid users = oracle path = /opt/TEST8000/oracle/apps/apps_st/appl/ffcl/12.0.0/reports/US writeable = yes ; browseable = yes valid users = oracle path... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rehantayyab82
1 Replies

9. Ubuntu

No access to etc directory

Hi, I'm new to this... but I am unable to see /etc, however I can access it via gknautilus... but as superuser I'm getting told no such file or directory via terminal (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: GaryW
15 Replies

10. AIX

Samba 3.6 on AIX 7.1 - Windows 10 Access to AIX file shares using Active Directory authentication

I am running AIX 7.1 and currently we have samba 3.6.25 installed on the server. As it stands some AIX folders are shared that can be accessed by certain Windows users. The problem is that since Windows 10 the guest feature no longer works so users have to manually type in their Windows login/pwd... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxsnake
14 Replies
OPIEFTPD(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       OPIEFTPD(8)

NAME
opieftpd - File Transfer Protocol server that uses OPIE authentication SYNOPSIS
opieftpd [-d] [-l] [-t timeout ] [-T maxtimeout ] [-u umask ] DESCRIPTION
opieftpd is the Internet File Transfer Protocol server process. The server uses the TCP protocol and listens at the port specified in the ftp service specification; see services(5). OPTIONS
-d Debugging information is written to the system logs. -l Each ftp(1) session is logged in the system logs. -t The inactivity timeout period is set to timeout seconds (the default is 15 minutes). -T A client may also request a different timeout period; the maximum period allowed may be set to maxtimeout seconds with the -T option. The default limit is 2 hours. -u Set the default umask value to umask. COMMANDS
The ftp server currently supports the following ftp requests; case is not distinguished: Request Description ABOR abort previous command ACCT specify account (ignored) ALLO allocate storage (vacuously) APPE append to a file CDUP change to parent of current working directory CWD change working directory DELE delete a file HELP give help information LIST give a list of files in a directory MKD make a directory MDTM show last modification time of file MODE specify data transfer mode NLST give name list of files in directory NOOP do nothing PASS specify password PASV prepare for server-to-server transfer PORT specify data connection port PWD print the current working directory QUIT terminate session REST restart incomplete transfer RETR retrieve a file RMD remove a directory RNFR specify rename-from file name RNTO specify rename-to file name SITE non-standard commands (see next section) SIZE return size of file STAT return status of server STOR store a file STOU store a file with a unique name STRU specify data transfer structure SYST show operating system type of server system TYPE specify data transfer type USER specify user name XCUP change to parent of current working directory (deprecated) XCWD change working directory (deprecated) XMKD make a directory (deprecated) XPWD print the current working directory (deprecated) XRMD remove a directory (deprecated) The following non-standard or UNIX-specific commands are supported by the SITE request: Request Description UMASK change umask (e.g. SITE UMASK 002) IDLE set idle-timer (e.g. SITE IDLE 60) CHMOD change mode of a file (e.g. SITE CHMOD 755 file) HELP give help information (e.g. SITE HELP) The remaining ftp requests specified in Internet RFC-959 are recognized, but not implemented. MDTM and SIZE are not specified in RFC-959, but will appear in the next updated FTP RFC. The ftp server will abort an active file transfer only when the ABOR command is preceded by a Telnet "Interrupt Process" (IP) signal and a Telnet "Synch" signal in the command Telnet stream, as described in Internet RFC-959. If a STAT command is received during a data trans- fer, preceded by a Telnet IP and Synch, transfer status will be returned. opieftpd interprets file names according to the globbing conven- tions used by csh(1). This allows users to utilize the metacharacters *?[]{}~. opieftpd authenticates users according to three rules: The user name must be in the password data base, /etc/passwd, and not have a null password. In this case, a password must be provided by the client before any file operations may be performed. The user name must not appear in the file /etc/ftpusers. The user must have a standard shell returned by getusershell(3). If the user name is anonymous or ftp, an anonymous ftp account must be present in the password file (user ftp ). In this case, the user is allowed to log in by specifying any password (by convention, this is given as the client host's name). In the last case, opieftpd takes special measures to restrict the client's access privileges. The server performs a chroot(2) command to the home directory of the ftp user. In order that system security is not breached, it is recommended that the ftp subtree be constructed with care; the following rules are recommended: ~ftp Make the home directory owned by ftp and unwritable by anyone. ~ftp/bin Make this directory owned by the super-user and unwritable by anyone. The program ls(1) must be present to support the LIST command. This program should have mode 111. ~ftp/etc Make this directory owned by the super-user and unwritable by anyone. The files passwd(5) and group(5) must be present for the ls(1) command to be able to produce owner names rather than numbers. The password field in passwd is not used, and should not contain real encrypted passwords. These files should be mode 444. ~ftp/pub Make this directory mode 777 and owned by ftp. Users should then place files which are to be accessible via the anonymous account in this directory. SEE ALSO
ftpd(8), ftp(1), opie(4), opiekey(1), opiepasswd(1), opieinfo(1), opiesu(1), opieftpd(8), opiekeys(5), opieaccess(5) BUGS
The anonymous account is inherently dangerous and should avoided when possible. In opieftpd, it is a compile-time option that should be disabled if it is not being used. The server must run as the super-user to create sockets with privileged port numbers. It maintains an effective user id of the logged in user, reverting to the super-user only when binding addresses to sockets. The possible security holes have been scrutinized, but are possibly incomplete. HISTORY
The ftpd command appeared in 4.2BSD. AUTHOR
Originally written for BSD, ftpd was modified at NRL by Randall Atkinson, Dan McDonald, and Craig Metz to support OTP authentication. CONTACT
OPIE is discussed on the Bellcore "S/Key Users" mailing list. To join, send an email request to: skey-users-request@thumper.bellcore.com 10 January 1995 OPIEFTPD(8)