Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: vxfs online resizing
Operating Systems Solaris vxfs online resizing Post 302436547 by incredible on Monday 12th of July 2010 10:11:32 AM
Old 07-12-2010
Reducing the size of a file system will fail if there are file system resources currently in use within the sectors to be removed from the file system. In this case, a reorganization may help free those busy resources and allow a subsequent reduction in the size of the file system.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vxfs ACL problem

Has anyone had any experience with VXFS and ACL's? For some reason when these two are used together ACL's don't seem to work properly (i.e. sometimes ACL's won't be applied to files in a directory so that when trying to move the directory, the new directory is created but the old directory still... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
3 Replies

2. Solaris

veritas vxfs and ufsdump

hi guys, I am studying for the solaris scsa and i want to practice with ufsdump and restores, fssnaps etc... my question is, i finally found a server with a tape drive attached that i can mess arouund with because its not a critical box. its running solaris 8, and i want to do a ufsdump, but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

vxfs filesystem full!

Dear all, What should I do with the following error message: vxfs: mesg 001: vx_nospace - /dev/root file system full (1 block extent) Thanks for your advises, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hungevntelecom
1 Replies

4. SCO

VxFS filesystem

Hello, Am basically working on VxFS filesystem and while tracking the file, I got stuck at one point. As I am able to locate the superblock(it is at offset 1024 from the start of partition). And from superblock I got the sector no. of "OLT extent". By jumping to the sector no where OLT... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ghimanshu
1 Replies

5. Solaris

vxfs free space?

Hi, How do I determine the free space below? # vxdg -g msb_db_dg free DISK DEVICE TAG OFFSET LENGTH FLAGS msb_db_dg01 sdb sdb 312475648 316571392 n Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies
fsvoladm(1M)															      fsvoladm(1M)

NAME
fsvoladm - VxFS volume administration utility SYNOPSIS
[bias] DESCRIPTION
The utility performs administrative tasks, such as adding, removing, resizing, and encapsulating volumes in a specified VERITAS File Sys- tem. mount_point specifies the directory on which the file system is mounted. volname specifies the volume within the volume set. By default, size, bias, and newsize are specified in units of disk blocks bytes). However, you can append or to the number to indicate that the value is in kilobytes, megabytes, gigabytes, or terabytes, respectively. Keywords Adds a volume to a file system. The new space is available for allocation. Removes an encapsulated volume from a file system and restores the original contents of the volume. This operation can fail if there were significant changes to a file's allocations on disk since encapsulation. A volume encapsulated with a bias cannot be deencapsulated. Adds a volume to a file system, making the contents of that volume, starting from offset bias, available as a file instead of free space. The size of the encapsulated file is size - bias. bias must be smaller than size, and be a multiple of the file system block size. The default value of bias is 0. Displays the volumes in a file system. Removes a volume from a file system. Resizes one of the volumes in a file system. In some circumstances, the command cannot resize a 100% full file system due to lack of space for updating structural information. Check VxFS file systems on a regular basis; increase their size if they approach 100% capacity. This problem can also occur if the file system is very busy. Free up space or reduce activity on the file system and try the resize again. EXAMPLES
The following command adds the volume that is 10 gigabytes in size, to the file system The following command removes the volume from the file system The following command resizes the volume in the file system from its current size to 20 GB: The following command displays the volumes in the file system The following command encapsulates the volume The volume is ten gigabytes in size, resides in the file system and has the file name The following command de-encapsulates the volume that was encapsulated in the previous example: SEE ALSO
df_vxfs(1M), fsapadm(1M), fsvoladm(1M), mount_vxfs(1M), vxvset(1M), fsvoladm(1M)