Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How detect TCP/IP socket shutdown when ethernet cable is disconnected Post 302435857 by Corona688 on Thursday 8th of July 2010 10:42:48 AM
Old 07-08-2010
TCP does best-effort delivery, which is why it has such obnoxiously long timeouts. I've seen it survive 10-minute network outages. It's really not designed to do what you want. Try pinging your host to see if it responds or not.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Monitor displays Cable disconnected

Hi all This is my first post in this forums. I hope some one can help me with this my Sun Ultra 60 worked fine couple of months back when i used a dell (1280x1024). i move to a MN last month n bought a new sony monitor with (1280x1024) but when i connect it to the box it monitor displays... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venuavula
1 Replies

2. Programming

can-not detect TCP disconnects well

Hello everyone. Thanks for reading. I am using Ubuntu 7.04 to experience this problem: I have written my own programs that communicate to eachother and I am having a hard time detecting a TCP socket disconnect when the remote side's computer has a power-failure (for example). On the computer... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjwhite
6 Replies

3. Red Hat

[RHEL4.5] server shutdown when I unplug the ethernet cable

hi.. I unplug my eth0 lan cable.. and suddenly my system shutdown... no idea :eek::confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flekzout
3 Replies

4. IP Networking

How to handle unplugging ethernet cable in socket programming

Hi, I am trying to implement a server-client socket communication. My server and clients are in different PCs. During communications if the ethernet cable is removed from the server side it shows broken pipe due to unable to write on the socket. I want to know how to check whether the ethernet... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JagadishB
0 Replies

5. IP Networking

Two Servers via ethernet crossover cable

Hi, I'm trying to communicate two servers (HP DLProliant 380 G5) via a crossover cable, but I don't get them to ping each other. I am working in RHEL 4. These are the steps I've performed: 1) Plugged the crossover cables in eth2. (note: The cable is brand new. Also I built one myself... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrodriguez365
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change ethernet cable of iscsi initiator (iscsi client)?

how to change ethernet cable of iscsi initiator (iscsi client) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajd
0 Replies

7. AIX

How to detect the network cable status with c programming on AIX

Hello, Is there any API or any other approach to detect whether the network cable is connected to the network adapter, say, en0, en1 or en2? The OS is AIX6.1. Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zephyrbj
4 Replies

8. Programming

[C++] [Unix] TCP non-blocking. Detect server disconnection procedure over, from client.

Hello! I searched forum for similar topic, with no luck, if you know one, delete this topic, and send me private message with link please. Little background: I have a lot of clients and one serwer. Client can make multiple connections on different ports and ips, but only one can be acctive... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ikeban
2 Replies

9. IP Networking

Packets sent from Linux TCP socket

Hello, Our software is using a TCP socket (AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM) to communicate with an Ethernet device. When we send a message, the message object writes itself in full onto the socket's stream buffer before the software invokes send() from socket.h. I'm still researching, but have 2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bix_20002000
1 Replies

10. IP Networking

Detect Socket timeout in tcpdump capture

Hello, I detect these errors in my logs : Socket timeout calling url http://server:port/bla/soap/selfcare/infoRapide] Unable to make proxyRequest I've made a tcpdump capture this way : tcpdump -i eth0 -s 0 -w /app/captura.pcap port 8080 But I'm fairly new in reading .pcap files with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_fender
0 Replies
ruptime(1)						      General Commands Manual							ruptime(1)

NAME
ruptime - show status of local machines SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
outputs a status line for each machine on the local network that is running the daemon. status lines are formed from packets broadcast once every 3 minutes between daemons (see rwhod(1M)) on each host on the network. Each status line has a field for the name of the machine, the status of the machine (up or down), how long the machine has been up or down, the number of users logged into the machine, and the 1-, 5- and 15-minute load averages for the machine when the packet was sent. The status of the machine is reported as ``up'' unless no report has been received from the machine for 11 minutes or more. The length of time that the machine has been up is shown as: Load averages are the average number of jobs in the run queue over the last 1-, 5- and 15-minute intervals when the packet was sent. An example status line output by might be: The above status line would be interpreted as follows: is presently ``up'' and has been up for 1 day, 5 hours and 15 minutes. It currently has 7 users logged in. Over the last 1-minute inter- val, an average of 1.47 jobs were in the run queue. Over the last 5-minute interval, an average of 1.16 jobs were in the run queue. Over the last 15-minute interval, an average of 0.80 jobs were in the run queue. If a user has not used the system for an hour or more, the user is considered idle. Idle users are not shown unless the option is speci- fied. Options If no options are specified, the listing is sorted by host name. Options change sorting order as follows: Sort by load average. Sort by up time. Sort by the number of users. Reverse the sort order. DIAGNOSTICS
No status report files in Ask the system administrator to check whether the daemon is running. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
Data files SEE ALSO
rwho(1), rwhod(1M). ruptime(1)