Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting To create user name with read only access Post 302434788 by funksen on Monday 5th of July 2010 06:43:23 AM
Old 07-05-2010
there are no "read only" groups

there are files/folders that have read only permission for a group
if a group has no write access to any file on a system, you may call it read only group, but there's still the /tmp folder, where everyone has write rights

normally a new created user just has write rights to his home directory
if you change the home directory of the user to something like
chmod 555 /home/user , the user should be a read only user for the most directories on your system

but any time you change a directory to 777 for example, the user will be able to write to that directory, so be careful

perhaps you want to have a look at:

UNIX permissions

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

create or modify user account to have same access as root

Is there a way to create or better yet modify a user account so it has the same privs as root? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
6 Replies

2. Solaris

How to create a new ftp user account with limited access..?

Hi All, I'm using solaris 2.8, and I want create a new ftp user account with the following restrictions: - Have only ftp access, no telnet or rlogin - Have restricted access to its home directory example /export/home/newuser - Deny access to any other directory. Thanks for your help, ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeremy3
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

user & group read/write access question

folks; I created a new users on my SUSE box and i need to give this user/group a read write access to one specific folder. here's the details: - I created new user "funny" under group "users". - I need to give this user "funny" a read/write access to another directory that is owned by "root".... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
3 Replies

4. Solaris

create user with RWX access to a specific directory in Solaris 10

I need to create a user account for a developer that will allow him rwx access to all resources in a directory. How can I do that? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsander
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create user with access only to one folder through ftp?

Hi all, Can someone help me with creating user with special privilegies? I need to create user who will have access ONLY to one folder (like /etc/log/) through ftp (read only access) and which will not have any other ways to log in like telnet, ssh etc.? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nypreH
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User creation (with only read only access)

I need to create a user with least permission on the production server. He should only be able to read or execute the files that to be specific. For example: I just need to give him a set of commands to run.Besides those command execution He should be prevented to run any other command and He... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
2 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create script to add user and create directory

first off let me introduce myself. My name is Eric and I am new to linux, I am taking an advanced linux administration class and we are tasked with creating a script to add new users that anyone can run, has to check for the existence of a directory. if the directory does not exist then it has... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbhound
12 Replies

8. Solaris

samba read write access to owner and no access to other users

Hi All, I want to configure samba share permission so that only directory creator/owner has a read and write permission and other users should not have any read/write access to that folder.Will that be possible and how can this be achieved within samba configuration. Regards, Sahil (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sahil_shine
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create user with access only to one command

Hi all, Is there any way to create linux user with access only one defined command? For example, I want new user has access only to ls command. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nypreH
7 Replies
lnewusers(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      lnewusers(8)

NAME
lnewusers - Create new user accounts SYNOPSIS
lnewusers [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
Creates new user accounts using data read from standard input. The input data consits of lines, each line has 7 colon-separated fields: User Name Plaintext Password User ID lnewusers refuses to create users with user ID 0 (the root user ID). Group If this field is a valid group ID, it is interpreted as a group ID, otherwise as a group name. If the field is empty, a group name equal to user name is used. If the specified group does not exist, it is automatically created. If the group is specified with a group ID, the created group has group name equal to the user name. GECOS The GECOS field is traditionally used to store user's real name and other information. Home Directory If this field is empty, a default specified by libuser configuration, or /home/username if libuser configuration does not specify a default, is used. Login Shell If this field is empty, a default specified by libuser configuration is used. Errors in user specifications are reported and processing continues on the next line. OPTIONS
-f, --file=file Read account data from file instead of standard input. -i, --interactive Ask all questions when connecting to the user database, even if default answers are set up in libuser configuration. -M, --nocreatehome Don't create home directories. -n, --nocreatemail Don't create mail spool files. EXIT STATUS
The exit status is 0 on success, nonzero on fatal error. Errors in user specifications are not reflected in the exit status. libuser Jan 12 2005 lnewusers(8)