Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: DISPLAY Environment Variable
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers DISPLAY Environment Variable Post 302433901 by kduffin on Wednesday 30th of June 2010 11:39:46 PM
Old 07-01-2010
If you have root rights, you can simply su - to the user and run env. Alternatively, you could just source their respective .chsrc, .bashrc etc. ( . /path/to/user/.bashrc) and then check the environment differences are. What's the purpose of your particular investigation?

Cheers,

Keith

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

help on environment variable

what is the environment variable used for getting the <machine name> . hello $LOGNAME,welcome to <??> I want to print the machine name in the place of <??> Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehuldoshi
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Environment Variable

$ . oraenv (when i type this at the prompt) ORACLE_SID = ? ( I get this) I understand that . oraenv is a startup script and it has the ENV variable ORACLE_SID. But pls let me know what more it explains and also how to change the env variable here. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thumsup9
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Environment Variable

First of all I am using C shell. I have a variable destDirectory that holds a path. the path includes an environment variable($user) when I try to execute a command within the script, the $destDirectory gets replaced with the path, but the environment variable is not replaced. I end up... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karyn1617
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Environment Variable

In our current environment we have each of our testing levels on individual servers (running Korn shell). So, there is a server for dev and test, and 2 servers for qa and prod. I have several scripts that utilize a code that is dependant on the server where it resides. While I was the only person... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaiser
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

environment variable

Hi, I have to set bunch of variables and all other programs like make, perl will use them .. Here are my constraints and requirements ... The variables have to be set by executing a script that runs in c shell. I cannot source the script since people who use this script might be on... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharanbr
8 Replies

6. Solaris

Environment variable

Hello, For the moment, my LC_ALL variable is set as "" by default. If I want to change this value, I do : export LC_ALL="en_fr" for example. That I want to know it's : how can I set by default this value ? I want to save it on my profile in order to get it when I open my session... :confused:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MasterapocA
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display o/p in HTML format from unix environment

Hi, i want to disply the o/p in HTML format from unix environment. Let me explain my requirement. First an automated email should be sent in HTML format. The report contains number of error on a daily basis for this week. email looks like below, 01-04-2010 1000 02-04-2010 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: apsprabhu
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Environment variable

Hi! Ok, so I'm no programmer and I have basically no experience in these stuff. However I need to work on a thing (I think you call it Framework) called Root. It's a tool used by physicists. In the manual they keep talking about Environment variable. Even thou I searched for what it is on the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirwit
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Environment Variable

Hi All, I am new to SUN Solaris.I have some questions regarding environment variable.:confused: Q1. Where the environment variables available in Solaris. Q2. What command used here. Q3. Can a user change this .Suppose i want to change the bash to ksh can it be possible here. Or i need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdash.ps
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expand an environment variable in sed, when the variable contains a slash

I'm trying to make a sed substitution where the substitution pattern is an environment variable to be expanded, but the variable contains a "slash". sed -e 's/<HOME_DIRECTORY>/'$HOME'/'This gives me the following error: sed: -e expression #1, char 21: unknown option to `s'Obviously this is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ilja
2 Replies
SYSPROFILE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     SYSPROFILE(8)

NAME
sysprofile - modular centralized shell configuration DESCRIPTION
sysprofile is a generic approach to configure shell settings in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysad- mins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/sysprofile shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are contained in the /etc/sysprofile.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by /etc/sysprofile. This mechanism is set up by inserting a small shell routine into /etc/profile for login shells and optionally into /etc/bashrc and/or /etc/bash.bashrc for non-login shells from where the actual /etc/sysprofile script is invoked: if [ -f /etc/sysprofile ]; then . /etc/sysprofile fi For using "sysprofile" under X11, one can source it in a similar way from /etc/X11/Xsession or your X display manager's Xsession file to provide the same shell environment as under the console in X11. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/sysprofile/ for illustration. For usage of terminal emulators with a non-login bash shell under X11, take care to enable sysprofile via /etc/bash.bashrc. If not set this way, your terminal emulators won't come up with the environment defined by the scripts in /etc/sysprofile.d/. Users not wanting /etc/sysprofile to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosysprofile in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/sysprofile.d/ can be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.sysprofile.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/sysprofile.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syspro- file.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private script inventions to be automagically executed by /etc/sysprofile at login time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /etc/sysprofile.d/ and the manual pages bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at logout time check out the related package syslogout(8) which is a very close compan- ion to sysprofile. BUGS
sysprofile in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
sysprofile was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSPROFILE(8)