Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting text between two strings Post 302432816 by JamesForeman on Sunday 27th of June 2010 07:06:04 AM
Old 06-27-2010
Thanks all, now I have a slightly improved understanding of sed (and perl as well) Smilie

Bartus11's second bit of perl gives me almost what I want: it gives me the text between the first instance of 'Anna' and the first 'would' after that. But if I have multiple occurrences of 'Anna' and 'would' in my file, how do I get all of them?

Just to clarify, if the text file was

Anna A would Anna B would Anna C would

then I'd want the output to be
A
B
C

and not
A
AB
B
BC
C

or any similar permutation. Should I just get rid of the first occurence in the file and then run Bartus11's second script again (and again and again) until I get no more output? Or is there an elegant way to avoid doing that? (Not that it has to be elegant: I'm quite happy with brute force Smilie )

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting strings

Hi, How do I extract the bytes size string from the ls -l command. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hugow
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with extracting strings from a file

I want to collect the characters from 1-10 and 20-30 from each line of the file and take them in a file in the following format.Can someone help me with this : string1,string2 string1,string2 string1,string2 : : : : (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmsdelhi
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting the lines between 2 strings of a file

Hi, I have a sql file and i need to extract the table names used in the sql file using a unix script. If i can extract the lines between the keywords 'FROM' and 'WHERE' in the file, my job is done. can somebody tell me how to do this using a shell script. If u can just let me know, how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: babloo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting a set of strings from a text file

i have textfiles that contain a series of lines that look like this: string0 .................................................... column3a column4a string1**384y0439 ..................................... column3b column4b... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deanne
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting numbers from strings

Hello all, I am being dumb with this and I know there is a simple solution. I have a file with the follwing lines bc stuff (more)...............123 bc stuffagain (moretoo)............0 bc stuffyetagain (morehere)......34 failed L3 thing..............1 failed this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gobi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting text between two strings, first instance only

There are a lot of ways to extract text from between two strings, but what if those strings occur multiple times and you only want the text from the first two strings? I can't seem to find anything to work here. I'm using sed to process the text after it's extracted, so I prefer a sed answer, but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fubaya
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting text between two constant strings

Hi All, I have a file whose common patter is like this: .I 1 .U 87049087 .S Some text here too .M This is a text .T Some another text here .P Name of the book .W Some lines of more text. This text needs to be extracted. .A more text goes here too .I 2 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting text between two strings, multiple instances

Hi experts, Ive got a text file which has the following text which will occur in this format at least one time: +=========================>> Some stuff that evreryone should knnow other stufsjdokajkajokajda aijhjajcdjajcisajcqsqdqwdqad <<=========================+ It is likely that... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: martin0852
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting 22-character strings from text using sed/awk?

Here is my task, I feel sure this can be accomplished with see/awk but can't seem to figure out how. I have large flat file from which I need to extract every case of a pairing of characters (GG) in this case PLUS the previous 20 characters. The output should be a list (which I plan to make... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
17 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extracting strings at various positions of text file

Hi Team - I hope everyone has been well! I export a file from one of our source systems that gives me more information than I need. The way the file outputs, I need to extract certain strings at different positions on the file and echo them to another file. I can do this in batch easily,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
2 Replies
Biber::Entry::Name(3pm) 				User Contributed Perl Documentation				   Biber::Entry::Name(3pm)

NAME
Biber::Entry::Name - Biber::Entry::Name objects new Initialize a Biber::Entry::Name object, optionally with key=>value arguments. Ex: Biber::Entry::Name->new( lastname=>"Bolzmann", firstname=>"Anna Maria", prefix => "von" ) TO_JSON Serialiser for JSON::XS::encode notnull Test for an empty object was_stripped Return boolean to tell if the passed field had braces stripped from the original set_hash Set a hash for the name get_hash Get a hash for the name set_index Set a field telling what position in the name list the name is get_index Get the index of a Biber::Entry::Name object set_uniquename Set uniquename for a visible Biber::Entry::Name object Sets global flag to say that some uniquename value has changed set_uniquename_all Set uniquename for a Biber::Entry::Name object get_uniquename Get uniquename for a visible Biber::Entry::Name object get_uniquename_all Get uniquename for a Biber::Entry::Name object reset_uniquename Reset uniquename for a Biber::Entry::Name object set_minimal_info Set the string of lastnames and string of fullnames Used to track uniquename=5 or 6 get_minimal_info Get the name context used to track uniquename=5 or 6 get_namepart Get a namepart by passed name set_firstname Set firstname for a Biber::Entry::Name object get_firstname Get firstname for a Biber::Entry::Name object get_firstname_i Get firstname initials for a Biber::Entry::Name object set_middlename Set middlename for a Biber::Entry::Name object get_middlename Get middlename for a Biber::Entry::Name object get_middlename_i Get middlename initials for a Biber::Entry::Name object set_lastname Set lastname for a Biber::Entry::Name object get_lastname Get lastname for a Biber::Entry::Name object get_lastname_i Get lastname initials for a Biber::Entry::Name object set_suffix Set suffix for a Biber::Entry::Name object get_suffix Get suffix for a Biber::Entry::Name object get_suffix_i Get suffix initials for a Biber::Entry::Name object set_prefix Set prefix for a Biber::Entry::Name object get_prefix Get prefix for a Biber::Entry::Name object get_prefix_i Get prefix initials for a Biber::Entry::Name object set_gender Set gender for a Biber::Entry::Name object get_gender Get gender for a Biber::Entry::Name object set_namestring Set namestring for a Biber::Entry::Name object get_namestring Get namestring for a Biber::Entry::Name object set_nameinitstring Set nameinitstring for a Biber::Entry::Name object get_nameinitstring Get nameinitstring for a Biber::Entry::Name object name_to_bbl { Return bbl data for a name name_to_bltxml { Add BibLaTeXML for the name to an XML::Writer object dump Dump Biber::Entry::Name object AUTHORS
Francois Charette, "<firmicus at ankabut.net>" Philip Kime "<philip at kime.org.uk>" BUGS
Please report any bugs or feature requests on our sourceforge tracker at <https://sourceforge.net/tracker2/?func=browse&group_id=228270>. COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2009-2012 Francois Charette and Philip Kime, all rights reserved. This module is free software. You can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the Artistic License 2.0. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but without any warranty; without even the implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-17 Biber::Entry::Name(3pm)