Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting text between two strings Post 302432814 by bartus11 on Sunday 27th of June 2010 05:37:17 AM
Old 06-27-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrutinizer
Hi Bartus11, I know, I did not try to provide a solution, I just tried to explain what a sed construction such as he used does, since it did not work as he expected (actually that was what he was asking).
Sorry for misunderstanding your post Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting strings

Hi, How do I extract the bytes size string from the ls -l command. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hugow
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with extracting strings from a file

I want to collect the characters from 1-10 and 20-30 from each line of the file and take them in a file in the following format.Can someone help me with this : string1,string2 string1,string2 string1,string2 : : : : (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmsdelhi
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting the lines between 2 strings of a file

Hi, I have a sql file and i need to extract the table names used in the sql file using a unix script. If i can extract the lines between the keywords 'FROM' and 'WHERE' in the file, my job is done. can somebody tell me how to do this using a shell script. If u can just let me know, how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: babloo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting a set of strings from a text file

i have textfiles that contain a series of lines that look like this: string0 .................................................... column3a column4a string1**384y0439 ..................................... column3b column4b... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deanne
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting numbers from strings

Hello all, I am being dumb with this and I know there is a simple solution. I have a file with the follwing lines bc stuff (more)...............123 bc stuffagain (moretoo)............0 bc stuffyetagain (morehere)......34 failed L3 thing..............1 failed this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gobi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting text between two strings, first instance only

There are a lot of ways to extract text from between two strings, but what if those strings occur multiple times and you only want the text from the first two strings? I can't seem to find anything to work here. I'm using sed to process the text after it's extracted, so I prefer a sed answer, but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fubaya
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting text between two constant strings

Hi All, I have a file whose common patter is like this: .I 1 .U 87049087 .S Some text here too .M This is a text .T Some another text here .P Name of the book .W Some lines of more text. This text needs to be extracted. .A more text goes here too .I 2 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting text between two strings, multiple instances

Hi experts, Ive got a text file which has the following text which will occur in this format at least one time: +=========================>> Some stuff that evreryone should knnow other stufsjdokajkajokajda aijhjajcdjajcisajcqsqdqwdqad <<=========================+ It is likely that... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: martin0852
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting 22-character strings from text using sed/awk?

Here is my task, I feel sure this can be accomplished with see/awk but can't seem to figure out how. I have large flat file from which I need to extract every case of a pairing of characters (GG) in this case PLUS the previous 20 characters. The output should be a list (which I plan to make... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
17 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extracting strings at various positions of text file

Hi Team - I hope everyone has been well! I export a file from one of our source systems that gives me more information than I need. The way the file outputs, I need to extract certain strings at different positions on the file and echo them to another file. I can do this in batch easily,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
2 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)