Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Move files based on date in filename Post 302432633 by slatoms on Friday 25th of June 2010 02:49:42 PM
Old 06-25-2010
Okay.... Thank you...actually that's the direction I going in, I just felt like maybe that was too much overhead to do that case compare with each file in the loop. I was thinking there might be a simpler way. Here's what I was going to send back to you...

Code:
for FILE in $( ls $instance_hpath/db2dump/db2diag*.log )
do
   FMONTH=$( echo $FILE | awk -F '-' '{print $3}' )
   FYEAR=$( echo $FILE | awk -F '-' '{print $2}' )
   case "$FMONTH" in 
   01) FMONTH=Jan;
   ;;
   02) FMONTH=Feb;
   ;;
   03) FMONTH=Mar;
   ;;
   04) FMONTH=Apr;
   ;;
   05) FMONTH=May;
   ;;
   06) FMONTH=Jun;
   ;;
   07) FMONTH=Jul;
   ;;
   08) FMONTH=Aug;
   ;;
   09) FMONTH=Sep;
   ;;
   10) FMONTH=Oct;
   ;; 
   11) FMONTH=Nov;
   ;;
   12) FMONTH=Dec;
   ;;
   esac
   FOLDER=$FMONTH'_'$FYEAR
   echo $FOLDER
(you'd do your move now)

---------- Post updated at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:45 PM ----------

(Oh...and I still have to work in my ***Only do this is the file is more than 30 days old*** logic. I'm guessing I should do an IF statement right up front and make all the rest of this the THEN if the file is > 30 days)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to move files into different folders based on filename

I need to move a bunch of files into folders that have the same name. I wanted to either do this with some filter command or some type of batch file that I could save that would already include all of the mv commands since I will have to do this process often. Whatever method you think is easier. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: italia5
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

want to move files in a dir into different directories based on the filename

I want to move the files in a dir to different dirs based on their file names. Ex: i have 4 different files with name - CTS_NONE_10476031_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10633009_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt CTS_NONE_10345673_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10872456_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt and the 1st... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriranga
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to move files in a dir into different directories based on the filename

I want to move the files in a dir to different dirs based on their file names. Ex: i have 4 different files with name - CTS_NONE_10476031_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10633009_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt CTS_NONE_10345673_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10872456_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt and the 1st... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriranga
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move file based on filename

Hi All I need a script to manipulate files based on a filename: example filename: 66600_042706.pdf the script will create a directory 66000 only if this directory is not existing. If that directory is existing it will just move the file to 66000/666000_042706.pdf in addition, i want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemestech
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the oldest date based on date in the filename

I am using ksh93 on Solaris. Ok, this may seem like a simple request at first. I have a directory that contains sets of files with a YYYYMMDD component to the name, along with other files of different filespecs. something like this: 20110501_1.dat 20110501_2.dat 20110501_3.dat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gary_w
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move all files from source to destination directory based on the filename

Move all files starting with a specific name to different directory. This shell script program should have three parameters File Name Source Directory Destination Directory User should be able to enter ‘AB_CD*' in file name parameter. In this case all the files starting with AB_CD will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chetancrsp18
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move txt file to with current date appended to filename

I have multiple txt files which begin with the word "orders" in folder C:\source. I need to move the files to folder C:\dest and rename them to "process_<date>_<count>" So for example , if there are 3 files ordersa.txt , ordersb.txt and ordersc.txt in C:\source , after running the script I want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johannd
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move txt file to with current date appended to filename

I have multiple txt files which begin with the word "orders" in folder C:\source. I need to move the files to folder C:\dest and rename them to "process_<date>_<count>" So for example , if there are 3 files ordersa.txt , ordersb.txt and ordersc.txt in C:\source , after running the script I want... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: johannd
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files from one directory to another based on creation/modification date

Hi All, Really stuck up with a requirement where I need to move a file (Lets say date_Employee.txt--the date will have different date values like 20120612/20120613 etc) from one directory to another based on creation/modification dates. While visiting couple of posts, i could see we can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
3 Replies
mencal(1)								 1								 mencal(1)

NAME
mencal - menstruation calendar SYNOPSIS
mencal [options] [file1 file2 ... -c CONF1 -c CONF2 ...] DESCRIPTION
Display options: -m, --monday draw monday as first weekday (sunday is default) -1 current month (default) -3 previous, current and next month -y [YYYY] all-year calendar (default YYYY is current year) -q, --quiet no top information will be printed -n, --nocolor noncolored output -i, --icolor COLOR intersection color (default red) available colors: red, green, blue, yellow, violet, cyan, shiny, bold mencal configuration: -c, --config s=[YYYY]MMDD,l=LL,d=DD,n=NAME,f=FILE,c=COLOR The second argument is a comma separated list of options. No spaces are allowed in this list. If no name is specified, 'Unknown' is used. Various -c options or filenames can be set. s,start=[YYYY]MMDD start day of period (default current day) l,length=LL length of period in days (default 28) d,duration=D duration of menstruation in days (default 4) n,name=NAME name of subject f,file=FILE filename to save configuration to (see section FILES) only menstruation related variables will be saved c,color=COLOR color used for menstruation days available colors: red, green, blue, yellow, violet, cyan, shiny, bold default color is red, with '-n' switch color settings are ignored Info options: -h, --help print help -V, --version print version information FILES
: $HOME/.mencalrc - the default configuration file that is automatically loaded AUTHOR
: (C) 2002 C. McCohy e-mail: <mccohy@kyberdigi.cz> Word-Wide-Web: http://www.kyberdigi.cz/projects/mencal/english This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution because the original program does not have a manual page (but may be used by others). HISTORY
22 March 2002 - Originally written by Amaya Rodrigo <amaya@debian.org>. 24 Apr 2002 - New manpage contributed by Pablo S. Torralba <psanchez@skyrealms.org>. Amaya Rodrigo <amaya@debian.org> is now responsible for developing and maintaining this manual page. Comments and suggestions are greatly wellcome. mencal Menstruation calendar mencal(1)