Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sudo + ulimit not working ?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sudo + ulimit not working ? Post 302427576 by cyler on Monday 7th of June 2010 06:19:29 AM
Old 06-07-2010
sudo + ulimit not working ?

When I use sudo with ulimit there is an error but if I use ulimit without sudo there is no error.

In bash:

Code:
user1@debian:~$ sudo -u user2 -H ulimit -S -c unlimited
sudo: ulimit: command not found
user1@debian:~$

user1@debian:/home/user1$ ulimit -S -c unlimited
user1@debian:/home/user1$

user2@debian:/home/user2$ ulimit -S -c unlimited
user2@debian:/home/user2$

The entire content of /etc/security/limits.conf is commented.

Content of /etc/sudoers :
Code:
# /etc/sudoers
#
# This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
#
# See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
#

Defaults        env_reset,timestamp_timeout=0

# Host alias specification

# User alias specification

# Cmnd alias specification

# User privilege specification
root    ALL=(ALL) ALL
user1 debian=(user2) NOPASSWD: ALL

# Uncomment to allow members of group sudo to not need a password
# (Note that later entries override this, so you might need to move
# it further down)
# %sudo ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL

Last edited by pludi; 06-07-2010 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sudo chmod not working

now running mac os x 10.53 and sudo chmod comes back with : operation not permitted. sample file: -rwxr-xr-x+ 1 1000 com.apple.monitor_all_services 276592 Jun 8 2007 342345.tif i am running as root. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Movomito
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sudo command not working with cron job.

Hello, I have written a script that has a sudo command to change file permissions within it. When I run the script manually, the sudo command inside of it works fine. When the script is run through crontab I get the error "cron: not found". It the same user profile that I am using... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: WhotheWhat
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sudo command is not working inside a script when placed in cron

Hi All, i have a cron entry like 0,3,6,9,12,15,18,21,24,27,30,33,36,39,42,45,48,51,54,57 * * * * /amex/sssmonitor/dss_chk.ksh and the script is like #!/bin/ksh file=`uname -n` > /sunmast/projects/oasis/COREDEV/Dss$file.log > /tmp/output_sss today=`date` varb=`ps -ef | grep... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sudo chmod not working through script

Legends, I am trying sudo chmod from one shell to different machine. but getting the error. Please let me know if there is any way to do this. A#pk} for i in Bl1 Brl1 >> do >> echo $i >> ssh $i sudo chmod 755 /etc/services >> done Bl1 Password: bash: sudo: command not found ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sudo inside a here document not working

Have a sudo statement inside of a here document. It prompts me for a password, but doesnt wait for me to enter my password. Is there a way I can use the command without sudo or anyway that I can enter the password correctly? Eg : while read remotehost do ssh -t $2@$remotehost <<REMOTE... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnanavati
13 Replies

6. Red Hat

sudo is not working properly

This is the first time for using sudo for me. # visudo ## Allows people in group admin to run all commands %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL # groupadd admin # useradd temp # usermod -a -G admin temp # id temp uid=506(temp) gid=506(temp) groups=506(temp),507(admin) # #sudo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
5 Replies

7. Solaris

SunOs 5.9: why is 'ulimit -c' not working?

I have a situation where the system is dumping a 2g causing filesystem to fill up. We identified the source and working on a solution. However, I wanted to limit the size of the 'core' file. Please examine the test scenario ... cnewtonne@mars> ulimit -f 0 cnewtonne@mars> ls -ltr core*... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnewtonne
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sudo su - user not working

Hi All, I need your expertise to solve my problem, my account has permission to make sudo and su but when I try to switch user in a shell, it does not work with following message: "Sorry, user jmbeltra is not allowed to execute '/usr/bin/su -c echo HELLO THERE - oracle' as root on dbbr1k01" I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Axtel
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Sudo Not working on Solaris 10

Hi All, im a bit new to Solaris 10 iv been working on Redhat and cant seem to get the sudo working on Solaris 10:D Iv installed the below packages via pkgadd command: gcc-4.7.2-sol10-x86-local libiconv-1.14-sol10-x86-local libintl-3.4.0-sol10-x86-local sudo-1.8.13-sol10-x86-local ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SolarisRSA
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Sudo not working on LDAP client machine

Hi, I have configured ldap manually on solaris 10/11 machine with below entries: # ldapclient list |grep sudo NS_LDAP_SERVICE_SEARCH_DESC= sudoers:ou=SUDOers,dc=exm,dc=ple,dc=com # cat /etc/nsswitch.conf |grep -i sudo sudoers: files ldap # But groups available in LDAP server... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sridaran
8 Replies
ulimit(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 ulimit(3)

NAME
ulimit - Sets and gets process limits LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc.so, libc.a) SYNOPSIS
#include <ulimit.h> long int ulimit ( int command, ... ); STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: ulimit(): XSH4.2 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. PARAMETERS
Specifies the form of control. The command parameter can have the following values: Returns the soft file size limit of the process. The limit is reported in 512-byte blocks (see the sys/param.h file) and is inherited by child processes. The function can read files of any size. The return value is the integer part of the soft file size limit divided by 512. If the result cannot be represented as a long int, the result is unspecified. Sets the hard and soft process file size limit for output operations to the value of the second parame- ter, taken as a long int value, and returns the new file size limit. Any process can decrease its own hard limit, but only a process with superuser privileges can increase the limit. The hard and soft file size limits are set to the specified value multiplied by 512. If the result would overflow an rlim_t, the actual value set is unspecified. [Tru64 UNIX] Returns the maximum possible break value as described in the brk(2) reference page. DESCRIPTION
The ulimit() function controls process limits. During access to remote files, the process limits of the local node are used. NOTES
The ulimit() function is implemented with calls to setrlimit(). The two interfaces should not be used in the same program. The result of doing so is undefined. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, ulimit() returns the value of the requested limit and does not change the setting of errno. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned, and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If the ulimit() function fails, the limit remains unchanged and errno is set to one of the following values: The command parameter is invalid. A process without appropriate system privileges attempted to increase its file size limit. As all return values are permissable in a successful situation, an application wishing to check for error situations should set errno to 0, then call ulimit(), and, if it returns -1, check to see if errno is nonzero. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: ulimit(1) Functions: brk(2), getrlimit(2), write(2) Routines: pathconf(2) Standards: standards(5) delim off ulimit(3)