Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl: combine Backtick & system() I/O operation? Post 302425828 by jeffw_00 on Sunday 30th of May 2010 03:10:10 PM
Old 05-30-2010
Ummm - well thanks then. Although a useful answer, it doesn't match my question Smilie.

Is there any way to direct the output of a system cmd to an array and the screen simultaneously?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Multi operation system in one pc.

Does anyone can write a thread to teach me how to install Windows 2000, RH Linux, and FreeBSD unix in one machine step by step? Or someone's already done with this topic? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
1 Replies

2. Ubuntu

where can i get the unix operation system?

I am a stranger here ,where can i get the operation for free.thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tcb3210
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what does the operation '>&' mean in a shell script

hi, all, i saw a syntax like this usr/local/mpiexec -np 8 /home/XXXX/program_exe >& ./temp/out the output will be put into ./temp/out. I want to know the meaning of the operation symbol '>&'. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cy163
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

combine two perl lines into a single perl command

Hi Everyone, i have a string 00:44:40 so: $tmp=~ s/://gi; $tmp=~s/({2})({2})({2})/$1*3600+$2*60+$3/e; the output is 2680. Any way to combine this two lines into a single line? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Backtick Errors

When trying to use backticks for system commands, is there a way to read the error messages if a command doesn't execute properly? I have no problem getting the results if the command is properly executed. Ex. my @result = `dir`; foreach my $line (@result) { print "Result = $line";... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kooshi
2 Replies

6. Linux

commands of linux operation system

Am actually am new to the linux operating system and knda wana knw more about it.Please could u help me with some commands so i can start with that first.Really need your help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: GODBLESSME
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

system calls and atomic operation

Are system calls atomic operations? Is a system call can be interrupted? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Enter third column & Perform Operation

I am trying to enter a third column in this file, but the third column should that I call "Math" perform a some math calculations based on the value found in column #2. Here is the input file: Here is the desired output: Output GERk0203078$ Levir Math Cotete_1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ernst
5 Replies

9. AIX

Monitoring AIX with System Center Operation Manager 2007 R2

I can get my AIX servers to show up in SCOM but I'm struggling with running personal scripts and have the result of these scripts show up in SCOM. I'm currently using BigBrother and I've written some scripts for BB. I would like to convert these scripts to something that can be used in SCOM. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: petervg
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me to perform count & group by operation in shell scripting?

Hi All, I want to display the distinct values in the file and for each distinct value how may occurance or there. Test data: test1.dat 20121105 20121105 20121105 20121105 20121106 20121106 20121106 20121105 I need to display the output like Output (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbc17484
2 Replies
RRDp(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						 RRDp(3pm)

NAME
RRDp - Attach RRDtool from within a perl script via a set of pipes; SYNOPSIS
use RRDp RRDp::start path to RRDtool executable RRDp::cmd rrdtool commandline $answer = RRD::read $status = RRD::end $RRDp::user, $RRDp::sys, $RRDp::real, $RRDp::error_mode, $RRDp::error DESCRIPTION
With this module you can safely communicate with the RRDtool. After every RRDp::cmd you have to issue an RRDp::read command to get RRDtools answer to your command. The answer is returned as a pointer, in order to speed things up. If the last command did not return any data, RRDp::read will return an undefined variable. If you import the PERFORMANCE variables into your namespace, you can access RRDtool's internal performance measurements. use RRDp Load the RRDp::pipe module. RRDp::start path to RRDtool executable start RRDtool. The argument must be the path to the RRDtool executable RRDp::cmd rrdtool commandline pass commands on to RRDtool. Check the RRDtool documentation for more info on the RRDtool commands. Note: Due to design limitations, RRDp::cmd does not support the "graph -" command - use "graphv -" instead. $answer = RRDp::read read RRDtool's response to your command. Note that the $answer variable will only contain a pointer to the returned data. The reason for this is, that RRDtool can potentially return quite excessive amounts of data and we don't want to copy this around in memory. So when you want to access the contents of $answer you have to use $$answer which dereferences the variable. $status = RRDp::end terminates RRDtool and returns RRDtool's status ... $RRDp::user, $RRDp::sys, $RRDp::real these variables will contain totals of the user time, system time and real time as seen by RRDtool. User time is the time RRDtool is running, System time is the time spend in system calls and real time is the total time RRDtool has been running. The difference between user + system and real is the time spent waiting for things like the hard disk and new input from the Perl script. $RRDp::error_mode and $RRDp::error If you set the variable $RRDp::error_mode to the value 'catch' before you run RRDp::read a potential ERROR message will not cause the program to abort but will be returned in this variable. If no error occurs the variable will be empty. $RRDp::error_mode = 'catch'; RRDp::cmd qw(info file.rrd); print $RRDp::error if $RRDp::error; EXAMPLE
use RRDp; RRDp::start "/usr/local/bin/rrdtool"; RRDp::cmd qw(create demo.rrd --step 100 DS:in:GAUGE:100:U:U RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:10); $answer = RRDp::read; print $$answer; ($usertime,$systemtime,$realtime) = ($RRDp::user,$RRDp::sys,$RRDp::real); SEE ALSO
For more information on how to use RRDtool, check the manpages. AUTHOR
Tobias Oetiker <tobi@oetiker.ch> perl v5.14.2 2012-01-24 RRDp(3pm)