Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grep the process id and kill all the filtered process Post 302423361 by thegeek on Thursday 20th of May 2010 11:17:36 PM
Old 05-21-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixmadhan
The requirement here is different, not multiple instances with same process name. Its different process with different process name. So, explicit pkill should be used with each and every process
When you grep a list of process through a pattern, you can use the same to kill those process.

Experimentation:

Code:
$ ps ax | grep rv_
 3382 pts/1    T      0:00 /bin/sh ./rv_server
 3414 pts/1    T      0:00 /bin/sh ./rv_test
 3443 pts/1    T      0:00 /bin/sh ./rv_test
 3450 pts/1    S+     0:00 grep -i rv_
$ pkill -9 rv_
$ ps ax | grep rv_
 3453 pts/1    S+     0:00 grep -i rv_
[3]   Killed                  ./rv_server
[4]-  Killed                  ./rv_test
[5]+  Killed                  ./rv_test
$ ps ax | grep rv_
 3455 pts/1    S+     0:00 grep -i rv_

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to thegeek For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to kill a process and get process id

I'm just new to this unix world I need to kill a process I started using telnet, I tought that the process will be immediately terminated when I closed the telnet window but it didnt. I opened a new telnet window and the jobs where still there!, how can I kill them, and If I need a job id or... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmdiaz
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When kill doesnt work, how to kill a process ?

Hi All, I am unable to kill a process using kill command. I am using HP-UX system. I have tried with kill -9 and i have root privilages. How can i terminate this daemon ? ? ? Regards, Vijay Hegde (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VijayHegde
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to start a process and make it sleep for 5 mins and then kill that process

how to start a process and make it sleep for 5 mins and then kill that process (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrao
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill a process without using kill command

Sorry, posted the question in other forum. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill a process from a grep

Soz im a bit newbie... I want to do: ps -A | grep firefox | kill $1 it should kill the pid associated, but it doesnt work. $1 is the pid (if i do a awk {'print $1'} i get it ) , but kill doesnt take it as such... How can i do it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ierpe
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Kill Process(number of process) Unix/Solaris

Hi Experts, we do have a shell script for Unix Solaris, which will kill all the process manullay, it used to work in my previous env, but now it is throwing this error.. could some one please help me to resolve it This is how we execute the script (and this is the requirement) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyvic
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to start background process and then kill process

What I need to learn is how to use a script that launches background processes, and then kills those processes as needed. The script successfully launches the script. But how do I check to see if the job exists before I kill it? I know my problem is mostly failure to understand parameter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: holocene
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill a process if grep match is found

Hi, I need something unusual, I guess. I need to start a process, and if that process displays a specific error message, I need to kill that process and restart it. Something like: startprocess | grep -i "This is the specific error message" && kill $pidof(startprocess) Explanation, I need... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: burek
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

forking a child process and kill its parent to show that child process has init() as its parent

Hi everyone i am very new to linux , working on bash shell. I am trying to solve the given problem 1. Create a process and then create children using fork 2. Check the Status of the application for successful running. 3. Kill all the process(threads) except parent and first child... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vizz_k
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill an specific process ID using the KILL and GREP commands

Good afternoon I need to KILL a process in a single command sentence, for example: kill -9 `ps -aef | grep 'CAL255.4ge' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` That sentence Kills the process ID corresponding to the program CAL255.4ge. However it is possible that the same program... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enriquegm82
6 Replies
PTS_QUIT(1)						       AFS Command Reference						       PTS_QUIT(1)

NAME
pts_quit - Exit from pts interactive mode SYNOPSIS
pts quit [-cell] <cell name> [-noauth] [-localauth] [-force] pts q [-c] <cell name> [-n] [-l] [-f] DESCRIPTION
The pts quit command exits from pts interactive mode. The command can be run from the command line or interactively, but on the command line it does nothing and is therefore of questionable utility. CAUTIONS
Prior to OpenAFS 1.4.5 and OpenAFS 1.5.23, the pts quit command was only available on Unix or Linux and when OpenAFS was compiled with the supergroups option (disabled by default). As of OpenAFS 1.4.5 and 1.5.23, it is always available. OPTIONS
Although they have no effect, pts quit takes the following standard pts options: -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. For more details, see pts(1). -force Enables the command to continue executing as far as possible when errors or other problems occur, rather than halting execution at the first error. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. Do not combine this flag with the -cell or -noauth options. For more details, see pts(1). -noauth Assigns the unprivileged identity anonymous to the issuer. For more details, see pts(1). OUTPUT
This command produces no output. EXAMPLES
Here is an example of a pts interactive session: % pts interactive pts> quit % SEE ALSO
pts(1), pts_interactive(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007 Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> This documentation is covered by the BSD License as written in the doc/LICENSE file. This man page was written by Jason Edgecombe for OpenAFS. OpenAFS 2014-04-08 PTS_QUIT(1)