Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grep the process id and kill all the filtered process Post 302422984 by matrixmadhan on Thursday 20th of May 2010 12:49:55 AM
Old 05-20-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeek
i hope pkill can also help you out: 4 Ways to Kill a Process - kill, killall, pkill, xkill (link removed)

The requirement here is different, not multiple instances with same process name. Its different process with different process name. So, explicit pkill should be used with each and every process

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to kill a process and get process id

I'm just new to this unix world I need to kill a process I started using telnet, I tought that the process will be immediately terminated when I closed the telnet window but it didnt. I opened a new telnet window and the jobs where still there!, how can I kill them, and If I need a job id or... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmdiaz
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When kill doesnt work, how to kill a process ?

Hi All, I am unable to kill a process using kill command. I am using HP-UX system. I have tried with kill -9 and i have root privilages. How can i terminate this daemon ? ? ? Regards, Vijay Hegde (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VijayHegde
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to start a process and make it sleep for 5 mins and then kill that process

how to start a process and make it sleep for 5 mins and then kill that process (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrao
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill a process without using kill command

Sorry, posted the question in other forum. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill a process from a grep

Soz im a bit newbie... I want to do: ps -A | grep firefox | kill $1 it should kill the pid associated, but it doesnt work. $1 is the pid (if i do a awk {'print $1'} i get it ) , but kill doesnt take it as such... How can i do it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ierpe
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Kill Process(number of process) Unix/Solaris

Hi Experts, we do have a shell script for Unix Solaris, which will kill all the process manullay, it used to work in my previous env, but now it is throwing this error.. could some one please help me to resolve it This is how we execute the script (and this is the requirement) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyvic
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to start background process and then kill process

What I need to learn is how to use a script that launches background processes, and then kills those processes as needed. The script successfully launches the script. But how do I check to see if the job exists before I kill it? I know my problem is mostly failure to understand parameter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: holocene
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill a process if grep match is found

Hi, I need something unusual, I guess. I need to start a process, and if that process displays a specific error message, I need to kill that process and restart it. Something like: startprocess | grep -i "This is the specific error message" && kill $pidof(startprocess) Explanation, I need... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: burek
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

forking a child process and kill its parent to show that child process has init() as its parent

Hi everyone i am very new to linux , working on bash shell. I am trying to solve the given problem 1. Create a process and then create children using fork 2. Check the Status of the application for successful running. 3. Kill all the process(threads) except parent and first child... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vizz_k
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill an specific process ID using the KILL and GREP commands

Good afternoon I need to KILL a process in a single command sentence, for example: kill -9 `ps -aef | grep 'CAL255.4ge' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` That sentence Kills the process ID corresponding to the program CAL255.4ge. However it is possible that the same program... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enriquegm82
6 Replies
PGREP(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          PGREP(1)

NAME
pgrep, pkill - look up or signal processes based on name and other attributes SYNOPSIS
pgrep [options] pattern pkill [options] pattern DESCRIPTION
pgrep looks through the currently running processes and lists the process IDs which match the selection criteria to stdout. All the crite- ria have to match. For example, $ pgrep -u root sshd will only list the processes called sshd AND owned by root. On the other hand, $ pgrep -u root,daemon will list the processes owned by root OR daemon. pkill will send the specified signal (by default SIGTERM) to each process instead of listing them on stdout. OPTIONS
-signal --signal signal Defines the signal to send to each matched process. Either the numeric or the symbolic signal name can be used. (pkill only.) -c, --count Suppress normal output; instead print a count of matching processes. When count does not match anything, e.g. returns zero, the command will return non-zero value. -d, --delimiter delimiter Sets the string used to delimit each process ID in the output (by default a newline). (pgrep only.) -f, --full The pattern is normally only matched against the process name. When -f is set, the full command line is used. -g, --pgroup pgrp,... Only match processes in the process group IDs listed. Process group 0 is translated into pgrep's or pkill's own process group. -G, --group gid,... Only match processes whose real group ID is listed. Either the numerical or symbolical value may be used. -i, --ignore-case Match processes case-insensitively. -l, --list-name List the process name as well as the process ID. (pgrep only.) -a, --list-full List the full command line as well as the process ID. (pgrep only.) -n, --newest Select only the newest (most recently started) of the matching processes. -o, --oldest Select only the oldest (least recently started) of the matching processes. -P, --parent ppid,... Only match processes whose parent process ID is listed. -s, --session sid,... Only match processes whose process session ID is listed. Session ID 0 is translated into pgrep's or pkill's own session ID. -t, --terminal term,... Only match processes whose controlling terminal is listed. The terminal name should be specified without the "/dev/" prefix. -u, --euid euid,... Only match processes whose effective user ID is listed. Either the numerical or symbolical value may be used. -U, --uid uid,... Only match processes whose real user ID is listed. Either the numerical or symbolical value may be used. -v, --inverse Negates the matching. This option is usually used in pgrep's context. In pkill's context the short option is disabled to avoid accidental usage of the option. -w, --lightweight Shows all thread ids instead of pids in pgrep's context. In pkill's context this option is disabled. -x, --exact Only match processes whose names (or command line if -f is specified) exactly match the pattern. -F, --pidfile file Read PID's from file. This option is perhaps more useful for pkill than pgrep. -L, --logpidfile Fail if pidfile (see -F) not locked. --ns pid Match processes that belong to the same namespaces. Required to run as root to match processes from other users. See --nslist for how to limit which namespaces to match. --nslist name,... Match only the provided namespaces. Available namespaces: ipc, mnt, net, pid, user,uts. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help and exit. OPERANDS
pattern Specifies an Extended Regular Expression for matching against the process names or command lines. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Find the process ID of the named daemon: $ pgrep -u root named Example 2: Make syslog reread its configuration file: $ pkill -HUP syslogd Example 3: Give detailed information on all xterm processes: $ ps -fp $(pgrep -d, -x xterm) Example 4: Make all netscape processes run nicer: $ renice +4 $(pgrep netscape) EXIT STATUS
0 One or more processes matched the criteria. 1 No processes matched. 2 Syntax error in the command line. 3 Fatal error: out of memory etc. NOTES
The process name used for matching is limited to the 15 characters present in the output of /proc/pid/stat. Use the -f option to match against the complete command line, /proc/pid/cmdline. The running pgrep or pkill process will never report itself as a match. BUGS
The options -n and -o and -v can not be combined. Let me know if you need to do this. Defunct processes are reported. SEE ALSO
ps(1), regex(7), signal(7), killall(1), skill(1), kill(1), kill(2) AUTHOR
Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho@ifi.uio.no> REPORTING BUGS
Please send bug reports to <procps@freelists.org> procps-ng March 2015 PGREP(1)