Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed unterminated `s' command? Post 302418577 by alister on Tuesday 4th of May 2010 08:38:40 PM
Old 05-04-2010
Hello, donnacha, and welcome to the forums.

For starters, your variable names don't match up (from1 vs from, to1 vs to), although I don't think that's the source of the problem (perhaps that's just a typo in the post). I suspect that the problem is that the values of the from1 and to1 variables will contain multiple lines if there are multiple files that match the *eml pattern. The embedded newlines are almost certainly what is causing the problem with the sed command.

Perhaps something akin to the following will suit your needs:
Code:
for f in *eml; do
    sed -i "s/SMS/SMS $(head -n1 "$f") to $(sed -n '2p' "$f")/g" "$f"
done

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unterminated string

While running a shell script i am getting this warning but the script is working fine.while running the blocks of the scripts individually its running fine.But while pasting it combinedly this is the warning..wat may be the reason behind this and how to resolve it (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr46014
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using SED command in a shell script: Unterminated address regex

Hi All, I am trying to use a sed command in a shell script in order to delete some lines in a file and I got the following error message. I don't understand why it is not working 'cause I have tried with simple quotes, then with double-quotes, and it is not working. sed: -e expression #1,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alpha3363
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] sed - query - unterminated suddenly

Hi, I have been trying to get various sed statements to work. I thought I had cracked it when suddenly I start recieving these messages "sed: -e expression #1, char 14: unterminated 's' command" It happens on any sed statement I now run. The only thing I have done inbetween trying to get... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcclunyboy
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unterminated quoted string

Hello! I wroted a little script that should check for new updates on a server and get them if any. The problem is, every time I run it with sh, I'm getting an "script: 20: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string" error! The problem is, there isn't any "unterminated quoted string" in my script:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: al0x
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: -e expression #1, char 21: unterminated `s' command

I have read many threads, but I still didn't find the right answer. May be i didn't find the right thread, though are so many threads for the same question. Basically the situation is - find date in a file and replace it with another date. (its not homework, its part of lot of a big processing,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: avinthm
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed error unterminated `s' command

I have list of data I have cut down to format: I am using sed command to remove the sed 's/ Returns error: sed: -e expression #1, char 5: unterminated `s' command Full code line is: cat textFile | cut -d ' ' -f 4 | cut ':' -f 1 | sed 's/ Thanks, Please use next time code tags... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maximus73
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed returns error "sed: -e expression #1, char 18: unterminated `s' command"

Hello All, I have something like below LDC100/rel/prod/libinactrl.a LAA2000/rel/prod/libinactrl.a I want to remove till first forward slash that is outputshould be as below rel/prod/libinactrl.a rel/prod/libinactrl.a How can I do that ??? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: -e expression #1, char 16: unterminated address regex

I am trying to grep for a particular text (Do action on cell BL330) in a text file(sample.gz) which is searched in the content filtered by date+timestamp (2016-09-14 01:09:56,796 to 2016-09-15 04:10:29,719) on a remote machine and finally write the output into a output file on a local machine. ... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbadveti
23 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sed: -e expression #1, char 20: unterminated address regex

I am trying to add word in last of particular line. the same command syntex is running on prompt. but in bash script give error."sed: -e expression #1, char 20: unterminated address regex" Please help. for i in `cat servername`; do ssh -q -t root@$i sed -i '/simple_allow_groups =/s/$/,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yash_message
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Unterminated <> operator

Hello. I'm self teaching myself and coded a program but I keep getting a illegal division by 0 error. I know what it means but I don't know where I am messing up. Here is the code: #!/usr/bin/perl @lines = <>; my %earned; my %possible; for ($i = 1; $i <... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eric7giants
6 Replies
sendsms(1)							      gnokii								sendsms(1)

NAME
sendsms - command line tool to send SMSes using gnokii SYNOPSIS
sendsms [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
sendsms allows you to send a SMS using gnokii not knowing the syntax of gnokii command. It is written using dialog and allows to send a text SMS choosing recipients from the phone address book or entering it manually. OPTIONS Available options: [--debug|-D] May bother with more debugging messages. For debugging purpose. --simul[ate], -S Simulation mode. Doesn't really send SMS by phone. Only simulates. For debugging purpose. --forceSMread, -s Forces sendsms to read phonebook from SIM card, and to parse the generated file in order to update the numbers' list (useful only if required to pickup number from the phone's memory). See NOTE. --forceMEread, -m Forces sendsms to read phonebook from phone memory, and to parse the generated file in order to update the numbers' list (useful only if required to pickup number from the phone's memory). See NOTE. --skipgnokiicheck, -K Skip the test of the presence of binary 'gnokii'. (It must be somewhere in your $PATH). It allows you to try this script program, even if you don't have 'gnokii' already. ;) --smsset, --setsms Allows you to preset a SMS message from STDIN. (pipe or input redirection). This message will be proposed on the 'SMS message' field during the program input cycle. --help, -h, /h display this help and exit --version, -V output version information and exit" NOTE: If you require to pickup number from phone's memory (or from SIM card), for the first time, it anyway reads phonebook from your mobile phone. (It may take a while... please, be patient ;-) BUGS
None reported. AUTHOR
Sendsms was written by Gabriele Zappi - Rimini <gzappi@inwind.it>. This manual page was written by Pawel Kot. COPYING
This program is distributed under the GNU Public License. SEE ALSO
gnokii Pawel Kot August 29, 2003 sendsms(1)