Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell script using Diff
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script using Diff Post 302418122 by DallasT on Monday 3rd of May 2010 06:28:06 AM
Old 05-03-2010
Yes! you are right.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell scripting my own diff command

Hi I would like to run the diff command and recieve a little different output. I am on a linux machine. I am pretty new to shell scripting. So far my idea has shaped up to this, unworking, script. I would like file1: and file2: instead of the usual > or < output you recieve, diff | sed -e ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axcxe
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a diff way to exec this shell prg??

Hi, I want to know whether it is possible to to execute the below script like ksh ds.ksh <input file> > <output file> or any other simple way other then ./ The way i'm executing it right now is nawk -f ds.ksh <input file> > <output file>. I need the first format as my ETL tools is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarsaravana_s
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to manipulate a message count for the same IP @ diff session

I have a file as like below, 10:20:30.45 START 10.20.30.40 10:20:31.46 HELLO 10.20.30.40 10:20:32.46 START 10.20.30.41 10:20:33.44 END 10.20.30.40 10:20:35.44 HELLO 10.20.30.41 10:20:36.56 HELLO 10.20.30.41 10:20:37.78 HELLO 10.20.30.41 10:20:38.99 START 10.20.30.40... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gobinath
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process diff command output in a shell script

diff -yta file1 file2 #!/usr/abc/b/bin/perl5.6 | #!/usr/abc/b/bin/perl5.8 Notable thing about above line is "|" appears at 62nd position. When the same line is assigned in a variable in a ksh script, using ss=$(diff -yta file1 file2) it appears as ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaliyajalpesh
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Time Diff in shell script

Hi all , i am trying to calculate time difference btw the script execution I am using solaris start_time=`date +%s` sleep 2 end_time=`date +%s` duration=`expr $end_time - $start_time` when i try to subtract i get the error line 13: %s - -time : syntax error: operand expected... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: posner
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Diff between calling a shell script with ./ and . ./

Hi ALL I have a shell script named setUP in which i am sourcing one variable like source var_name="CLASSPATH". When i call it as ./setUP, it does not set the var_name variable. But when i call it like . ./setUP then var_name is set up. What is the difference between this two calls? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SasDutta
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff between calling a shell script with ./ and . ./

Hi ALL I have a shell script named setUP in which i am sourcing one variable like source var_name="CLASSPATH". When i call it as ./setUP, it does not set the var_name variable. But when i call it like . ./setUP then var_name is set up. What is the difference between this two calls? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SasDutta
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

serach diff filename in diff location using shell scripting

Hi, I am new to shell scripting. please help me to find out the solution. I need a script where we need to read the text file(consists of all file names) and get the file names one by one and append the date suffix for each file name as 'yyyymmdd' . Then search each file if exists... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lucky123
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to compare ,diff and remove betwen 2 files

Hi Friends Need your expertise. Command to check the difference and compare 2 files and remove lines . example File1 is master copy and File2 is a slave copy . whenever i change, add or delete a record in File1 it should update the same in slave copy . Can you guide me how can i accomplish... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Howto compare the columns of 2 diff tables of 2 different schemas in UNIX shell script

HI All, I am new to Unix shell scripts.. Could you please post the unix shell script for for the below request., There are two different tables(sample1, sample2) in different schemas(s_schema1, s_schema2). Unix shell script to compare the columns of two different tables of two... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajkumar Gopal
2 Replies
RMGDIFF(1x)															       RMGDIFF(1x)

NAME
rmgdiff - use almost any graphical file difference browser to recursively view the differences between two directories. SYNOPSIS
rmgdiff [-b] [-d] [-g gui] [-n] dir1 dir2 DESCRIPTION
rmgdiff is an awk script that works in conjunction with almost any graphical file difference browser. It is known to work with mgdiff, tkdiff, and xdiff. Unless I am mistaken, most of the GUI difference viewers (except for emacs) do not have built-in support for recursing down two directo- ries, but diff does. Based on diff's output, rmgdiff decides when to invoke the graphical difference viewer. In addition, rmgdiff also collates diff's output. As soon as a new difference is encountered in a text file, rmgdiff will print to stan- dard output the name of the file that both directories have in common. It will then start the GUI and block until the user exits. As more text files with differences are found, the GUI will be started up again. In the interim, rmgdiff will keep track of differences in binary (non-text) files. It organizes the binary files as executables, shared libraries, static libraries, object files, and other. Only after all the text files have been displayed will rmgdiff report the binary differences. It also keeps track of files and directories that diff reports as being only in one directory or another. rmgdiff organizes these entries by directory. Thus, files in one directory will be reported in one block, and files that are in the other directory will be reported in a different block. In addition to printing the name of the files that are different, rmgdiff defaults to printing the relevant portion of the output from the file command. This has the unfortunate side-effect of slowing things down; however, I find this information to be invaluable. If you're just looking for a fast way to collate diff's output, try piping it into sort instead. COMMAND LINE OPTIONS
-b Sets the basic reporting mode. In basic mode, rmgdiff reports only file names. It does not report the file types involved. -c By default, files relating to CVS are ignored by rmgdiff. If you want to include CVS files, use this option. -d Sets rmgdiff to print way too much debugging information. -g gui Tells rmgdiff which gui you would like to use for viewing differences. By default, mgdiff is used. You can also set $RMGDIFF_GUI in your environment, but it can be overridden with this option. -n rmgdiff will not invoke the gui. This is useful, if you only want to view the collated output. AUTHOR
Paul Serice (paul@serice.net) RMGDIFF(1x)